Thread: 2014 Turkey Hunt

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar

2014 Turkey Hunt

First, and to just inform: The Turkey Hunt draw starts today.. ends on 23 December, so sign-up now if you're planning on hunting Tom or Jake come April.

Second, I've been on the Turkey hunt these past ~3-4 years without any success. We've seen/heard many, except for last year. Where's everyone hunting? I'm drawing Southern Region (between Fillmore/Beaver and along I-15 and I-70 through Hwy89.

We've hunted the Chalk Creek area around Fillmore and the valley/lower elevations around Marysvale. We usually see tons of Elk/Deer, but last year no sign of Turkey.

Any beta appreciated.. We intend to head out in March to scout the area between Fillmore and Marysvale.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    First, and to just inform: The Turkey Hunt draw starts today.. ends on 23 December, so sign-up now if you're planning on hunting Tom or Jake come April.

Second, I've been on the Turkey hunt these past ~3-4 years without any success. We've seen/heard many, except for last year. Where's everyone hunting? I'm drawing Southern Region (between Fillmore/Beaver and along I-15 and I-70 through Hwy89.

We've hunted the Chalk Creek area around Fillmore and the valley/lower elevations around Marysvale. We usually see tons of Elk/Deer, but last year no sign of Turkey.

Any beta appreciated.. We intend to head out in March to scout the area between Fillmore and Marysvale.
    I assume this won't help if you draw South, but every time we go to my family's cabin up at Bear Lake on the Sweetwater Estates side, we see a flock of @14 Turkeys. They're domesticated as they wander through people's yards. I'm not sure if that's an indicator of the Turkey population up there, or if they were implants to the area.

I have a cabin up above Huntsville near Causey Reservoir. 3 years ago the turkeys were all over - would have to shoo them off the deck... bastards left turkey shit everywhere. For the last 2 years we see the flock occasionally but not like they were. The neighbors tell me that 6-7 years ago they trapped several hundred and relocated the throughout the state. I've always thought it would be cool to shoot one from my Jacuzzi while relaxing.

Anyway my buddy hunts them yearly to the N/NE of Pineview along the foothills - there is a horse trailer parking area, hike N/NW along the powerline route for a mile and a bit, hang out in the trees along the open draws. He gets one pretty much every year out of there.

I've killed 7 turkey's so far and I guided for a friend 2 years ago and he shot 7 arrows in 1 day at turkeys. I have hunted southern Utah. The reason is because there are more turkeys there than in any part of the state and the weather is milder. I know a guy that hunts the mountains directly east of Beaver although this maybe out of your area. All of the turkeys that you see in the wild appear to be domesticated. When it is hunting season things change fast. You are only allowed to shoot toms or bearded hens and they have to be within archery or shotgun range. Turkeys are extremely wary, they are hunted by predators year around. They have exceptional hearing and eyesight and they are not color blind. It is nearly impossible to stalk a turkey. The best way is to sit motionless and to call them with a diaphragm mouth call. You literally cannot blink, your gun is on fire and in the ready position at all times. Hunting from a blind is much easier especially for shooting video.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX View Post
    I've killed 7 turkey's so far and I guided for a friend 2 years ago and he shot 7 arrows in 1 day at turkeys. I have hunted southern Utah. The reason is because there are more turkeys there than in any part of the state and the weather is milder. I know a guy that hunts the mountains directly east of Beaver although this maybe out of your area. All of the turkeys that you see in the wild appear to be domesticated. When it is hunting season things change fast. You are only allowed to shoot toms or bearded hens and they have to be within archery or shotgun range. Turkeys are extremely wary, they are hunted by predators year around. They have exceptional hearing and eyesight and they are not color blind. It is nearly impossible to stalk a turkey. The best way is to sit motionless and to call them with a diaphragm mouth call. You literally cannot blink, your gun is on fire and in the ready position at all times. Hunting from a blind is much easier especially for shooting video.
    We have all the gear, we've called in the turkeys from within our blind, but we've never gotten a clean shot at a legal bird. Last year, we didn't even see/hear/see sign of Turkey.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

How isit like going on a turkey hunt?! I would love to experience it

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonniekin View Post
    How isit like going on a turkey hunt?! I would love to experience it
    It's exactly like gaining cubit zirconium level on the internet's--but better...
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

9. Likes BruteForce liked this post