Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle vs MTB body armor

Motorcycle vs MTB body armor

Since I'm tired of dealing with the pain of crashing for months after the accident, one might say to tone it down a bit, others might say I need body armor.

I'm looking through the chest protectors on amazon and it seems like MTB armor is much more expensive than the motorcycle gear.

What's the difference?

Here are some examples, and is it just a brand name thing?

WOW MOTORCYCLE MOTOCROSS BIKE GUARD PROTECTOR BODY ARMOR BLACK
    http://amzn.com/B003WQQS5A

Alpinestars MTB Bionic Jacket Black/White, L
    http://amzn.com/B00A3IH1NI

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

MTB armor is probably lighter weight and therefore more expensive. Could be wrong, but that's my guess.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I am also going to guess that mt bike stuff is more comfortable. I will take my rigid riding gear over comfort on my dirt bike anyday, cuz one day I am going for a flight, and I want to land as good as possible.

A poor fitting, heavy, rigid, mt bike setup would be impossible. You could not ride a mtn bike w/ moto boots on.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I might be leaning towards the pricepoint rather than comfort. I figure the motorcycle gear would be more durable too. Mountain Bike gear is all about shaving off the grams, which I don't care about, and it usually means it takes one good hit and it's done.

I probably wouldn't wear it on the climb either, maybe it would fold up in my pack and I could put it on up top. I'm sure it'll look a little odd but who cares.

OK here's another question; What's the major difference between the full face helmets with Moto vs MTB? Does anybody wear a Moto full face while biking? Are they usually just heavier?

Moto helmets are DOT rated. Generally quite a bit heavier. If you hold one in each hand its noticeable. BUT when I do lots of downhill in a day i just wear one of my moto ones since i don't care about the weight.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    OK here's another question; What's the major difference between the full face helmets with Moto vs MTB? Does anybody wear a Moto full face while biking? Are they usually just heavier?
    Yeah, the mtb helmets are a lot lighter and have better ventilation. I have a Bell Drop, and it is pretty comfortable as long as I'm not climbing a bunch. I even wear it on trails the Porcupine/TWE where there isn't a lot of pedaling to do and there are a lot of hard rocks around, and am perfectly comfortable. Of course, if I'm riding, say, Flintstone, I'll just strap it to my pack for the ride up.

My brother wears his MX helmet on full-on resort DH days, but it is way too hot and heavy for any pedaling at all.

I love my 661 Strait kneepads and similar arm/elbow pads, but I don't think I'd ever go full body armor. You don't see people wearing most of that stuff anymore, even at the big resorts. Last time I was at Northstar, it seems I could count on one hand how may full compression suits I saw. The great majority were wearing arm, knee, neck brace, and FF helmet. I don't know why the trend away from full armor, but it is definitely different than it was 5 or 6 years ago when riders tended to look more like Stormtroopers.

9. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    What I am most concerned about when riding is my head! Other stuff heals or you can live with it, but any form of brain damage for me or my kids scares the risk taker in me away, far away!!!!!!! A DOT sticker makes me "Feel" better.

Quote Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
    What I am most concerned about when riding is my head! Other stuff heals or you can live with it, but any form of brain damage for me or my kids scares the risk taker in me away, far away!!!!!!! A DOT sticker makes me "Feel" better.
    I used to think this but unfortunately helmets are not made to protect you from a TBI but only from injury's that may cause death. After having a number of TBI's in my life I am going to be forking out some cash for a helmet with MIPS this coming spring.. Here is a great article that goes into some depth about the issue http://www.bicycling.com/senseless/index.html
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

12. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    Yeah I don't want to look like a dork wearing all that body armor, people might expect me to do something awesome

I think I'll start out with the full face helmet though. I sure could have used it in this situation 2 years ago this week. Here I am waking up from a concussion, not knowing where I'm at or what year it is. I was down in Arizona.

Name:  337996_2425989922159_473442400_o.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  39.2 KB

14. Likes DOSS liked this post
    I would recommend knee/shin pads and elbow/ forearm pads and of course gloves. I only wear my full face helmet at resorts and it is a carbon fiber vented mountain bike specific helmet. Of all of the racing and resort type riding that I have done, I have not bought a chest/spine protection jacket. I have landed hard several times on my camelback. Most of my biking shorts have removeable Velcro attached hip pads which have been nice to have when crashing. Figuring out quality tires and the right tire pressure have pretty much eliminated crashes for me. I hardly ever ride with pads anymore.

Yeah, no one wants to look like a dork! I guess I meant by my statement re: decreased use of body armor is that I don't know if the riders are concluding that it doesn't help or is not necessary, or if it is more of a fashion statement. I just know that when I started riding resorts and at Blackrock (Or) 8 years or so ago, virtually everyone wore full compression body pads (including my brothers). Now it is a rarity. My brother just says "he never needed it," so ...

Agreed that a partially full hydration pack has probably been my most used and most useful piece of protective gear!

Acca,Garbonzo and fourtycal and I ran into this dude up AF cyn. that is out of Long Beach or LA can't remember now it was a bout 2 yrs ago but anyhow this dude makes his own helmets that are dot approved.
    They are carbon light very air cooled. He gave us a bussiness card but I have lost mine.

Maybay acaa or Garbo still has his name and number. Can't tell you how good they are but seems he has done all the homework to make a lively hood from them. He was wearing one when we talked to him and they seem very nice and up to parr. NOT CHEAP about 600 smacks if memory serves me well.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Yeah, no one wants to look like a dork!
    That principle disappears when I am seen with the GoPro in various places

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnseeker1 View Post
    Acca,Garbonzo and fourtycal and I ran into this dude up AF cyn. that is out of Long Beach or LA can't remember now it was a bout 2 yrs ago but anyhow this dude makes his own helmets that are dot approved.
    They are carbon light very air cooled. He gave us a bussiness card but I have lost mine.

Maybay acaa or Garbo still has his name and number. Can't tell you how good they are but seems he has done all the homework to make a lively hood from them. He was wearing one when we talked to him and they seem very nice and up to parr. NOT CHEAP about 600 smacks if memory serves me well.
    DOT doesn't mean crap on a bike.. its all about MIPS DOT regs are old and really not up to date with what the current technology can and should do
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

HMM ok bro but this brother had some nice shit in the all carbon fiber realm. DOT and SNELL ratings Not sure if that works for you but it works for me.

That said truth is if most Hardley riders wore them we would still be full of shit.
    A Helmet is only good for about 3 yrs. at least that is how I see it unless I have used it then it's over and time for a new one but? I'm going 10 x faster than your Bike and that you can bank on bro. I've only been riding 3 years now and I'm on my fourth helmet for safety reasons. MOTO CYCLE MADDNESS and we don't slow down for shit.
    Ride what ever you want but unless you ride with me U R 2 Slow.......
    Ask Garboanzo if DOT is worth it or not after our ride out at CHerry Creek Black Friday this year.
    Better still look up the ride report and look at the picts.
    Top of the line right now is about $745 smacks and worth the look at the engineering. Helmets have come a long way just ask any trained Para Medic.
    Something I think about when I push the 93 mph on all dirt and this bad ass wide r KTM hits this every ride dammit................................

But DOSS I hear ya and agree that some are worthless but the standards are all we have even if we educate ourselves on the matter.
    Most helmets swear they are 100% uv protected and I don't and will not buy into this horse crap so? what do you do?
    Myself I get the bet that I can afford and it is not the 6D 745 smacks helmet so about every 18 months I just get one that works or so I hope.

But if you really want to test one come ride with me where I ride......................

The thing is DOSS if I rode a street bike I'm sure Things would change but I'm a dirt biker and any serious off is more than likely to do some damage prior to the head trauma.
    BODY and I have done this before and glad I was wearing something on my head that I could afford. This is after all called ATGAT you will figure it out.

Now if memory serves me well you ride an ATV? LMAO thus the 10 fold commit on speed but if you want to test it out and your in southern Utah look me up for a ride.

Just don't be caught with your panties in a twist when I show up with a motor bike that hauls ass bro.
    Last edited by Mtnseeker1; 12-16-2013 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Why in this world would MTB rider need more that a motorcycle dirt rider?
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnseeker1 View Post
    HMM ok bro but this brother had some nice shit in the all carbon fiber realm. DOT and SNELL ratings Not sure if that works for you but it works for me.

That said truth is if most Hardley riders wore them we would still be full of shit.
    A Helmet is only good for about 3 yrs. at least that is how I see it unless I have used it then it's over and time for a new one but? I'm going 10 x faster than your Bike and that you can bank on bro. I've only been riding 3 years now and I'm on my fourth helmet for safety reasons. MOTO CYCLE MADDNESS and we don't slow down for shit.
    Ride what ever you want but unless you ride with me U R 2 Slow.......
    Ask Garboanzo if DOT is worth it or not after our ride out at CHerry Creek Black Friday this year.
    Better still look up the ride report and look at the picts.
    Top of the line right now is about $745 smacks and worth the look at the engineering. Helmets have come a long way just ask any trained Para Medic.
    Something I think about when I push the 93 mph on all dirt and this bad ass wide r KTM hits this every ride dammit................................

But DOSS I hear ya and agree that some are worthless but the standards are all we have even if we educate ourselves on the matter.
    Most helmets swear they are 100% uv protected and I don't and will not buy into this horse crap so? what do you do?
    Myself I get the bet that I can afford and it is not the 6D 745 smacks helmet so about every 18 months I just get one that works or so I hope.

But if you really want to test one come ride with me where I ride......................

The thing is DOSS if I rode a street bike I'm sure Things would change but I'm a dirt biker and any serious off is more than likely to do some damage prior to the head trauma.
    BODY and I have done this before and glad I was wearing something on my head that I could afford. This is after all called ATGAT you will figure it out.

Now if memory serves me well you ride an ATV? LMAO thus the 10 fold commit on speed but if you want to test it out and your in southern Utah look me up for a ride.

Just don't be caught with your panties in a twist when I show up with a motor bike that hauls ass bro.

My argument is that DOT is based on stopping injuries that end life... MIPS is DOT/SNELL plus a system to prevent TBI from occurring in these same accidents. Just because you live doesn't mean you want to have a TBI (having had a couple of serious concussions etc in my life that effected my memory, personality and months of headaches). Sadly DOT/SNELL have not updated their requirements to have anything to protect the user from a TBI.. IE why you want a helmet with a MIPS system in it.

I am not saying that DOT/SNELL are worthless, just that they haven't stayed up to date and a helmet with MIPS as well can save you a lot of hassle in the long run.

It's only good if you can move in it and screw the weight thing cause us 97 mph guys can move in what we ride in NUfff said.

I'll never for a million years figure out how MTB guys doing back flips over cyns. can justify safety with an non DOT /SNELL approved helmet and don't get me started on who should own trails cause we all know we will loose them all like the dicks in AZ. learned the hard way.
    ( we all loose)

But hey it's you're noggin bro.
    My helmet is about 1/2 lb. But WHO knows were to draw the line for safety?
    I will say this however/ 3 years ago I laid a moto down in the dirt at well over 83 MPH. Messed me up some but my helmet saved my arse at the time.\
    Now I'm more worried about body protection than helmets. FOR REAL.

But if you want the very best it's comes at a price like $745 today and that is the very best money will buy. 6D
    This is for dirt and dirt 0nly so don't confuse this with upper end street bike helmets.

Check into them it is not just the price but the pratice. Always do your own homework girls.
    Or you can strap an Ice cream bucket on and hope for the best.

I think that you are failing to read what was written... oh well your loss