Thread: Mystery 2 Nov 2013

Mystery 2 Nov 2013

Mystery Canyon 2 November 2013

Having applied for three permits for Mystery over the weekend of the 2-4 November, hoping to get one, I ended up being successful in all three!

With paperwork grasped in grubby hand, Tae (occasional poster of this parish) and I drive up to the top to save the long hike up from Weeping Rock:

Harnesses on for the first rap:

A few snapshots of the canyon. Cheapo camera means poor-quality photos:

The lake at the rockfall was about ankle-deep, and the spring was majestic. The appearance of the Narrows at the end was a surprise, even though I knew it was coming!

Nothing more to do that hike to the shuttle bus, collect car from the trailhead and go to the Backcountry desk to cancel the other two permits!

2. Likes Sandstone Addiction, french_de liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I think I would have been a bit worried about my rope reaching on that big rap where the bottom seems to not be visible. Certainly doesn't look boring! Looks good Rob.

Nice trip report. Water looks cold. The lastest in the year I have gone down Mystery is late September. Looks like you had fun.
    Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow

The water WAS cold, but the swimmer at the springs was short & sweet. The hike back down the Narrows sapped the heat from our feet, however.

Quite a few "tourists" (I have to be careful using that term ! ) in ZAC drysuits in the Narrows...I wonder the cost / payback of those things?

Nice butt/hip slide down last rappel into the Narrows - never seen that!
    But then I have always done in Sept when you did not need a wetsuit. It looked cold!

[QUOTE=flatiron;548154]Nice butt/hip slide down last rappel into the Narrows - never seen that! ...</Snip> [QUOTE]

I'd had a sip of whisky to steel my nerves a bit and to warm the cockles somewhat; I don't think I may have had too much so as to lose my footing, but it was EVER so slippery down that slope.