Thread: Sniper Training in Waterfall Canyon...Access CLOSED?

Sniper Training in Waterfall Canyon...Access CLOSED?

Looks like access to Waterfall Canyon could be closed until some time in December due to sniper training on the mountainside.

http://www.standard.net/stories/2013...rs-some-hikers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks for posting this, i was thinking of riding that this week.

Here are some photos courtesy of Shooting Illustrated documenting the training from 2011

Name:  123.png
Views: 663
Size:  285.2 KB

Name:  1234.png
Views: 576
Size:  240.7 KB

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1384875075726.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  108.1 KB

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

So I'm gathering that the main bike trail will still be open, AND hikers can still hike to the waterfall during this temporary closure, they just can't use the 29th street trailhead and hike up that way. Am I reading that right?

Guess so. Doesn't sound as much of a pain as I first thought.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

@Sombeech or any other peeps that do face book any chance of posting the pictures that show the boundries of his holinesses TR guest Ranch.
    Too bad the Malan family took the path of selling it to him. Although USFS nor anybody else wanted to pay for that property.

The news paper had an article today saying that at some point there will be live fire sniper training being conducted on the land. WTF?!

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    The news paper had an article today saying that at some point there will be live fire sniper training being conducted on the land. WTF?!
    Yeah, but all kinds of things are getting taken out of context. This happened a couple of years ago too.

In that screenshot of the facebook announcement he states that the Bonneville Shoreline Trail through the boundaries is still open and you can still hike up to the waterfall, but you can't take the normal route from 29th or use that service road.

Shooting on his property (which can and does happen regularly all year long) is different this time because of the closure to his TR Guest Ranch, accessible by that one road, I think. This Sniper exercise or whatever it is will be up in a box canyon, they'll be shooting Northeast and their view to the city is blocked by a ridge on the West.

I'm not exactly sure where this is, I want to say above Taylor Canyon. EDIT... after looking at the boundary, it would have to be further above the waterfall in waterfall canyon.

Here's a quick shot of Taylor canyon on the left, Waterfall canyon and Strong canyon partly cut off on the right.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  73.1 KB

Here is the boundary map

Name:  191516-232106.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  358.7 KB

I replied that it will be more likely that I'm shot on the way up to the trailhead driving through Ogden

Here is his description of the location

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1384959116872.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  105.3 KB

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Thanks Beech. I found it interesting when the cut the sight lines south from the top of the waterfall around into Strongs canyon to include the south side of Strongs. From the looks of the lines they went past their boundry.

It sounds like the current closuer is for maintenence on the road up to the water tanks.