Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trachyotomy

^^^ That sounds horrible! ^^^

That makes a total of three groups that have had a very rough go in there. It sounds like you think that the beta is a little soft. I agree.

If I were a beta writer, I'd break the details into two halfs (before and after the mid-canyon rap):

1st half obstacles:
    High stemming for a significant distance (R rated), unless you fit below.
    Awkward doughnut pothole, conquered with skilled team effort (PG-13)

If the first half was harrowing for you, consider escaping the canyon before committing to the mid-canyon rappel. The second half is significantly more difficult.

2nd half obstacles:
    Witch's Cauldron potholes (PG-13)
    Terminal Narrows, mandatory physical high stemming, big penalty points for getting stuck. (R+ rated)

Just my two cents. Not blasting the beta writers, just hoping to help future groups...

I'm pretty sure your bridge is still there, just smashed down a bit. There were trails going around parts of washed out road. Still in terrible shape, no matter how you slice it.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. Likes tiho liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    There were trails going around parts of washed out road. Still in terrible shape, no matter how you slice it.
    Terrible shape after all that hard work I put into it?!?!?!? Kidding! It was BAD when we found it and SLIGHTLY better when we left it.
    canyon to the face??? CANYON TO THE FACE!!!!

5. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    ^^^ That sounds horrible! ^^^

That makes a total of three groups that have had a very rough go in there. It sounds like you think that the beta is a little soft. I agree.

If I were a beta writer, I'd break the details into two halfs (before and after the mid-canyon rap):

1st half obstacles:
    High stemming for a significant distance (R rated), unless you fit below.
    Awkward doughnut pothole, conquered with skilled team effort (PG-13)

If the first half was harrowing for you, consider escaping the canyon before committing to the mid-canyon rappel. The second half is significantly more difficult.

2nd half obstacles:
    Witch's Cauldron potholes (PG-13)
    Terminal Narrows, mandatory physical high stemming, big penalty points for getting stuck. (R+ rated)

Just my two cents. Not blasting the beta writers, just hoping to help future groups...

I'm pretty sure your bridge is still there, just smashed down a bit. There were trails going around parts of washed out road. Still in terrible shape, no matter how you slice it.
    i only did the firs half due to flooding weather and was nice,able to walk the bottom,we exit before the rappel because thunders were worriesome!
    last part was defined by my reliable source of beta as 30minutes ordeal ,if you are ok with the stemming.
    aka Chamber style stemming.
    also suggested to do in warmer weather apparently doing it with snow could be pretty miserable.

7. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by hesse15 View Post
    i only did the firs half due to flooding weather and was nice,able to walk the bottom,we exit before the rappel because thunders were worriesome!
    last part was defined by my reliable source of beta as 30minutes ordeal ,if you are ok with the stemming.
    aka Chamber style stemming.
    also suggested to do in warmer weather apparently doing it with snow could be pretty miserable.
    Shoot, you should come with us when we go back so you can do the second half. I imagine that you'd really like it.

I agree with everything you've said above, but I'd add that the physical narrow part of Chambers is at the very beginning of the canyon, when you are dry and rested. Difficult, but fun to fight through.

The most physical part of Track is at the end, when you are likely wet, cold and possibly tired. Difficult and scary to fight through, with few usable features on the walls, the slot that must be stemmed over poses a more significant risk than anything found in Chambers.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

Shoot, you should come with us when we go back so you can do the second half. I imagine that you'd really like it.
    The most physical part of Track is at the end, when you are likely wet, cold and possibly tired. Difficult and scary to fight through, with few usable features on the walls, the slot that must be stemmed over poses a more significant risk than anything found in Chambers.
    Hi Rob,
    I really would like to go back and finish it ,but probably is better in warmer months, I am pretty sure your wetsuit must be beaten pretty bad.

apparently there is is always there at the second half.
    probably a spring!

Quote Originally Posted by hesse15 View Post
    Hi Rob,
    I really would like to go back and finish it ,but probably is better in warmer months, I am pretty sure your wetsuit must be beaten pretty bad.

apparently there is is always there at the second half.
    probably a spring!
    Hmmm, I thought the temperature was pretty nice when we did it (low of 30, high of 70). I never put my wetsuit on, so I was very cold at the end. The terminal narrows would have been even MORE dangerous while wearing a wetsuit, so I'm glad that I didn't put it on.

Warmer conditions would seem crazy hot when the sun is shining directly into the slot. Cool and very dry would be ideal. The second half could dry up by spring, so it might be fun then.

Ok, I wish we read this TR before heading into Trachyotomy/Witch's Cauldron last weekend. We had a group of 8, made it through all of the upper section so we thought doing the lower section would be the same. Did the rap and pulled the rope. Made it through the cauldron easily as it was mostly full of water. Down we went through the swim after the cauldron, but my wife Monica stayed above the cauldron, and I stayed at the lip between the cauldron and the swim. Then the discussion began "this looks more X than R" and the group assessing the situation made the call that we should not continue. So back up everyone went to open dry and warmer ground above the cauldron, with no rope to ascend back at the rap, and ponder what to do. First thought was to find an exit, which from our knowlege nobody has reported, but there looked like some possibilities.

Fortunately we had spiderman Mark with us, and he was able to climb out, with a boost from Matt and just enough concretions for holds, on the east side of the canyon just up from the drop into the cauldron. Then Jensen made it up and out, explored a bit and relayed that it looked possible to continue. Mark and Jensen set an anchor, fixed a rope, and up we all went. The route finding from there back to the car was fairly straight forward.

I am very proud of everyone involved, everyone played a role in assisting, everyone kept their cool. We were fortunate not to have to think about what plan B would be.

So, if you find yourself stuck at the cauldron, and no rope at the rap, there is a way out, it is not easy by any means, Mark has exceptional climbing skill and we were fortunate to have him and everyone else in the group.

12. Likes Slot Machine, darhawk liked this post
    Nice job in getting out when you needed to.

The cauldron is forever burned in my soul. Epic trip. My wife, son, and I did this a few years ago. My wife still has fear when facing similar stemming challenges, and my son got stuck at the end.

Keeping a cool head is the most important first step for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    Nice job in getting out when you needed to.
    X2

The terminal narrows of Trach issues some high penalty points to the underprepared. Myself included. I have flashbacks from that spot whenever I'm in a similar canyon.

Did anyone in your group venture down those narrows and retreat? Or was looking at them enough? I do remember how awful they looked at first glance. Perhaps I should have retreated as well...

Better to hear a happy story of escape than a bad story of getting stuck. Nice work @davehuth !

X2
    Did anyone in your group venture down those narrows and retreat? Or was looking at them enough? I do remember how awful they looked at first glance.
    Nobody ventured down the narrows, looking at them was enough (considering the current fatigue level, experience of all members, some of the packs...). We simply thought we were not prepared to go on. Some of us will be back to finish the route.

16. Likes Slot Machine, Taylor liked this post