Thread: Canyoneering SE Asia

Canyoneering SE Asia

I'll be leaving for a 6 month trip across Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam in January and was hoping to find some canyons along the way. I've been canyoneering around the Hawaiian Islands the past 14 months and was guiding outside of Zion prior to that. In that time, I've never heard of people canyoneering/canyoning is SE Asia. I know there are canyons there - does anyone have any contacts in that part of the world they wouldn't mind sharing? Feel free to message me direct. Any information will be appreciated!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

jdamin,

I have a friend who did some canyoning in the national park in Bali and was taken on a tour. The first half of the day involves easy stuff like slides and river floating, then there are 7-8 cliff jumps, ranging from simple to "not wise" (i.e. 25 ft jump into a hole the size of 2-3 bath tubs - keep your arms at your sides! - t

The second half of the day is another tour and fee altogether and requires some basic rapelling skills and a tolerance for thousands of gallons of water pounding on you. In between the 10-12 rappels are more slides and small jumps. This is not in a slot canyon like Zion's, but it is narrow - though there a few times it gets slotty. Some of the neatest stuff is hard to capture because the river sucks you away.

You can research Karenkali canyon if you like....

Perhaps you can comment for me. I am going to be in Kauai next spring and wonder if you have any beta on canyoneering there. My experience level is intermediate + and I have done Kolob, Pine Creek, Das Boot, Boundary, Water Canyon, Spry and Mystery. I haven't seen any information on the web for that island, but some for Maui and Oahu. Any pointers for Kauai would be welcome. Best of luck to you

Brad

Personally, I'd focus on the caving, although there are surely slot canyons in the area.

The caves is that part of the world are probably the most spectacular in the world.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.