Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alcatraz

Alcatraz

On the crisp morning of November 11th, 2013, Mark B, Dorothy and I ventured through Alcatraz Canyon.

Sporting the current Alcatraz fashion.
    Name:  P1010427.jpg
Views: 1291
Size:  145.0 KB

The famous bumper rappel.
    Name:  P1010434.jpg
Views: 1189
Size:  95.9 KB

Name:  P1010436.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  56.4 KB

Name:  P1010445.jpg
Views: 1358
Size:  98.7 KB

Dorothy on a tall downclimb. Mark snapping photos.

Name:  P1010447.jpg
Views: 1172
Size:  116.7 KB

Name:  P1010450.jpg
Views: 1247
Size:  99.8 KB

Name:  P1010453.jpg
Views: 1306
Size:  100.5 KB

Name:  P1010457.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  59.2 KB

Name:  P1010461.jpg
Views: 1237
Size:  62.2 KB

After doing Not Mindbender recently, and only being somewhat impressed, I wondered how good The Roost could actually be. Boy, did I underestimate…

Alcatraz is one of the finest slots on the planet. Deep, dramatic and exquisitely sculpted, its continuous narrows seem like they will never end. Though physical and challenging, I never had a moment where I wished to escape. It was a wondrous journey, and a canyon I hope to revisit many times in the future.

I’d read that there were some unnecessary bolts in Alcatraz, so we went prepared to remove them. Before you object, dear reader, let me first describe the location of these bolts.

The first two bolts were located in a very scenic hallway, about 10 feet from the canyon floor. Their placement was inexplicable because no serious obstacles where anywhere in the vicinity of the bolts. We saw nothing bigger than a 5 foot downclimb within 100 feet downcanyon.

The third bolt was above a 20 foot chute. It looked tricky. We unearthed a chokestone upcanyon and extended webbing from it. This proved to be a huge waste of time.

We removed the bolt above the drop, patched it, then Dorothy and Mark rapped off the chokestone. It soon became obvious that the drop was an easy downclimb/capture. I removed the webbing from the chokestone and downclimbled the top half of the drop. I then surrendered to my teammates who helped me to the floor. Very safe and very easy.

Mark removing a bolt while balancing on my shoulder.
    Name:  P1010465.jpg
Views: 1222
Size:  69.2 KB

Me applying epoxy. I'm perched about 6 feet from the ground, pinned between the walls.
    Name:  P1010469.jpg
Views: 1209
Size:  108.8 KB

One of the holes we patched. Dark and blurry.
    Name:  P1010468.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  28.9 KB

The hardware we removed.
    Name:  IMG_3283.jpg
Views: 1196
Size:  20.0 KB

Here are the tools I elected to bring:
    1 adjustable wrench
    1 flathead screwdriver
    1 pair of Vice-Grips
    1 tube of epoxy putty
    1 pair of latex gloves

A lightweight and versatile kit, each piece proved somewhat useful. It only took minutes to remove the bolts and patch the holes. Once the epoxy was set in each hole, I smoothed the surface with a very wet rock, taking care not to smear epoxy on the canyon wall. I then patted sand/mud on the epoxy and left it alone. After the next flash we will see how good our handiwork is. Hopefully nobody will see it at all.

Special thanks to Tom Jones for sharing his bolt removal knowledge and wall patching technique.

Special thanks to Dorothy for waiting patiently while Mark and I removed the bolts and repaired the walls.

Extra special thanks to the strong and talented Mark B for tilting at windmills with me.

Bob

http://amazingslots.blogspot.com/201...ngel-slot.html
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Special thanks to Tom Jones for sharing his bolt removing knowledge and wall patching technique.
    And special thanks you for doing that good work. The few...the proud. The MBCs.

Nice pix and TR, too.

hank

p.s. inexplicable bolts in a dynamic environment :)

4. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Thank you! Great report, and nice job.
    Like the shirt, love the pose.

6. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Nice work @Slot Machine! Loved the TR, Now i definitely wanna go check this canyon out! Thanks for your good work with the removale of bolts.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

8. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Nice TR Bob! It's now on the list!

10. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Maybe we need to order a fresh batch of Bogley Tuxedo shirts

12. Likes Kuya, Slot Machine liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    p.s. inexplicable bolts in a dynamic environment :)
    Excellent point, Hank. Perhaps a monster lurks beneath the sand. Do you know of such a monster in Alcatraz?

Normally there are some signs of wear & tear around bolts. Places where webbing has rubbed the surrounding stone smooth, or places where ropes have rubbed. At the first two bolts there were no such signs. The bolts looked like they had never been used.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

The bolts looked like they had never been used.

16. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Good job Bob! Thanks for removing those bolts, they were 100% unnecessary.

We used the same expoxy and sand method of patching bolt holes holes when we chopped the bolts in Illusions last November. When I went back 10 months later, 7 out of the 10 patches we made held up. You would not have been able to tell there was a bolt there unless you were actually looking for it and knew where it used to be. The other 3 patches had been noticably worn down from flash floods and most of the sand had worn off, but again, were not blatantly obvious unless you were looking for them.

The bolts that showed up in Parker Canyon here in AZ are scheduled to be chopped in the very near future!

18. Likes ratagonia, Slot Machine liked this post
    I’d read that there were some unnecessary bolts in Alcatraz, so we went prepared to remove them.

Thank you.

20. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Excellent point, Hank. Perhaps a monster lurks beneath the sand. Do you know of such a monster in Alcatraz?

Normally there are some signs of wear & tear around bolts. Places where webbing has rubbed the surrounding stone smooth, or places where ropes have rubbed. At the first two bolts there were no such signs. The bolts looked like they had never been used.
    Reminds me of a resin anchor in Pine Creek, near the end. The drop it was set above disappeared a few months after placement.

Bolt's still there, though.

22. Likes french_de liked this post
    awesome shirt & awesome job..

24. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Great job, Bob...normally I get a crappy attitude about bolt cutters, but in this case it was certainly justified. Gotta wonder why someone would waste their time doing that. Perhaps they brought the bolts and just couldn't help themselves. Like a 12 year old with a slingshot, staring at the windows of a vacant house.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

26. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Nice work! Might need to pick up a sweet tux t-shirt for my own canyon adventures. Scored yourself some hardware for your efforts too. Did you find any more garbage in there or has it been cleaned up?

28. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    ^ Thanks for the kind words everyone ^

Byron, I'd bet there is something interesting beneath the sand where we removed the first two bolts. I just wonder if it is more challenging than the keeper pothole rappel towards the beginning of the canyon (a place that I could imagine a slingshot kid placing a bolt).

Todd, the canyon was pretty clean. We removed about 10 feet of webbing, but saw little else. No sign of tuxedo man's group.

....... No sign of tuxedo man's group.
    I think we can thank Captain Kirk & his group for cleaning up after Tuxedo man.

How much water was in the canyon?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Not much, just a few random pools. Shoes will get wet for sure, but your shorts will stay dry.

33. Likes Scott P liked this post
    I would imagine the bolts were placed at some point because there was a drop there. The canyons change dynamically all the time. Hank mentioned the Pine anchor which is a perfect example. Might be the next time you go thru Alcatraz you'll be putting the bolts back in for a new drop...FYI, I've never done Alcatraz and I'm merely commenting that what you perceived as unnecessary may have made perfect sense at another time.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!