Thread: SoCal Backcountry

SoCal Backcountry

Hey all,

It's been forever since I've posted and I'm doing this in multiple places...so forgive the redundancy:)

After 42 years of living in Utah, life has relocated me to Southern California. For this desert rat, losing my close proximity to the Colorado plateau has been difficult and hard to take. Gone are the quick overnight trips to everything south of I-70. Distances are much greater here and more planning is required. So, I'm throwing a shout out to my other SoCal backcountry adventurers to point me in the right direction...or even take pity and invite me along haha. I know there have to be amazing places to see and explore here and I'm hoping I can discover areas nearby that don't require a 7 hour car trip. I've heard of the canyons in the San Gabriel's and Death Valley. I know there are amazing backpacking routes along the PCT (the John Muir trail especially). What about the Mojave? I'm an experienced canyoneer and used to the wide open spaces as well as a fellow solitude seeker. I'm definitely not one for following the beaten path.

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I would check out Joshua Tree, good climbing/hiking, not canyons, but that's OK.
    Canyons in the San Gabriels are very different than Colorado Plateau...

When I get some time I can get you some more info. Here is one trip you might like http://www.desertusa.com/mag08/sept0...e-railway.html

Also look up the bridge to nowere in Azusa canyon. Nice little overnight back packing trip or day trip. Its along a stream, cool bridge that has a bungie jumping company using it on weekends, could rapell off of it. Not to far away.

Check out these two links to Chris Brennan's website. The first site is devoted to the San Gabriels. I have used his beta and found it to be quite accurate.

http://www.dankat.com/advents/content.htm

http://www.dankat.com/swhikes/content.htm

Chris Brennen seems to be the most used by a wide margin....only caveat is some of the beta could be very old....that said, you should expect canyon conditions to change anyway....The San Gabriels seem to be the hot spot for So Cal...there are tons of canyons there....just don't expect them to be like Utah canyons....they are more wide open and include bushwhacking fun.....Check out www.meetup.com/canyoneering for frequent local outings...

If you are a desert rat, Joshua Tree or Death Valley are pretty cool. Rattlesnake canyon in Joshua Tree is short but sweet, 3 raps canyon with escapable potholes. Good to pair it up with Wonderland or Rocks traverse (hiking / bouldering). There's also some cool caves near Indian Cove and lots of supercool mines to explore in JT.

I don't like DeathVally canyons, but there's one worth doing called Scorpion. You won't find beta online because they want to keep it secret. [Yep! we have people with small dicks in California too. Arizona does not have exclusivity!]

Now if you like water canyons, in late spring or summer you ABSOLUTELY have to do 7 Teacups! It's short but fun, lots of jumps. If you like that type of thins, then you MUST do Jump Canyon. There are other nice canyons in California (Eaton is Spring is one of the best) but 7 Teacups and Jump are the best water canyons you will find in the continental USA.

I noticed that you posted to the Hiking section as well, so I'll suggest Anza-Borrego Desert State Park east of San Diego. Largest CA state park with plenty of wilderness to get lost in.