Thread: Hogwarts: A North Wash Canyon

Hogwarts: A North Wash Canyon

It was my friend Jake's bachelor party, so naturally we decide to spend the weekend partying in... Hanksville?? OF COURSE ! It was perfect, we would stay at the Whispering Sands Hotel, reminisce with the owner of
    +North Wash Outfitters who just happened to be staying there for the evening (it was awesome to talk with him again, great surprise!) Go to bed early, sleep in, eat a yummy "gas station" breakfast, and then head to HOGWARTS! (The canyon, not the magical castle of Harry Potter ;) It was panning out to be a amazing weekend. The company was great, the weather was perfect, and the canyons were beautiful! It was fun bumping into +Jared at the hotel. I also bumped into Spidey at Stan's. It was pretty fun.

Jake (the bachelor) and I had a great day running two canyons. We did Hogwarts and Merry Piglet Canyons. Hogwarts was by far our favorite :)

To add some fun to our adventure we decided to use my Fiddlestick to ghost hogwarts. It was my first time ever using the fiddle stick in a canyon environment, and I had a great time using it. For the most part it proved very easy to use. All but the last rappel was smooth. It took two of us pulling as hard as we could to yank out the fiddle stick for that last rap in Hogwarts. Not sure why it was so difficult, but it was. Luckily we were able to execute the pull!

Getting right to the good stuff... Hogwarts arch was amazing! Probably one of the neatest sections of canyon I have ever seen. The view from the top of the rappel was pretty cool, but the view I really enjoyed was the one from the bottom of the arch looking up! What an AMAZING place!

This is the view looking down through Hogwarts Arch

Jacob on rappel coming through Hogwarts Arch

Jacob cheesin' it for the camera! Yes he things he is pretty Tought Stuff! haha

After this arch, things got a little wet for me! I tried to stem over a little pothole filled with water, but when I was almost over, the weight of my backpack kept me from executing the final move to dry land, and I ended up slipping into a muddy chute right down into the waist deep water filled pothole! Fortunately for me, my phone that was in my pocket survived the water! I couldn't believe it! Jacob on the other hand, very much enjoyed laughing at me for falling in. Of course he made the stem over the arch with out falling. Needless to say, I never heard the end of that mistake for the rest of the trip!

The rest of the canyon was pretty straight forward. There is a large rappel at the end of the canyon which was really fun! Like I said previously, we used my Fiddlestick for the rappels, and the pull for this big drop was unusually difficult. It took both Jacob and I yanking on the rope in order to pull out the fiddlestick so we could retrieve our rope.

After that, we had a short hike back to the Truck where our friend Jeff was waiting for us! It was perfect :)

Hogwarts is definitely a canyon I will do again. The approach was a cardio blast! but other than that, it was a really fun canyon, with some exceptional scenery!

CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Now that's my kinda party!

Looks like a blast Blake, thanks for sharing.

4. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    Now that's my kinda party!

Looks like a blast Blake, thanks for sharing.
    Thanks Dave :) Looking forward to when we can get out with you and your group canyoneering!
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Looks like a TON of fun! Wish I could have made it!

7. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Nice little canyon combo with Merry Piglet across the street.

Nice video again. Was that through Cineform as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Nice video again. Was that through Cineform as well?
    Thank you :)

yes, I used Cineform for this one too. I used one of the GoPro templates, which made it pretty easy. The problem I am having with Cineform is that it is way more difficult to make custom videos the way I want to. I like some of the video presets, and the ease of speeding things up, and slowing things down. BUT timing video clips to your own music and beats is proving to be very difficult for me.
    My YouTube Channel

You know what I found out when I started doing helmet cam stuff almost 10 years ago, is that I was spending way too much time matching my footage with the tempo or beat of the music. Turns out my audience rarely noticed that type of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    You know what I found out when I started doing helmet cam stuff almost 10 years ago, is that I was spending way too much time matching my footage with the tempo or beat of the music. Turns out my audience rarely noticed that type of stuff.
    Interesting. Good to know. I will have to play around with it somemore and learn to be less picky haha
    My YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch View Post
    Nice little canyon combo with Merry Piglet across the street.
    that is exactly what we did! wish I could have snuck Morocco in as well, but we were lazy that day and slept in. didn't even get into a canyon until 11am
    My YouTube Channel