Thread: Dad Calls Cops on Son to Teach Him a Lesson, Cops Shoot Son Dead

Dad Calls Cops on Son to Teach Him a Lesson, Cops Shoot Son Dead

Yikes! This doesn't sound good...

--

A father's attempt to teach his son a lesson for taking his truck without permission ended in tragedy Monday after a local police officer shot the teenager dead.

James Comstock told the Des Moines Register he called the police on his son Tyler after the latter took the former's truck in retaliation for refusing to buy him cigarettes.

Ames Police Officer Adam McPherson reportedly spotted the lawn care company vehicle and pursued it onto the Iowa State University campus, where a brief standoff ensued after Tyler allegedly refused orders to turn off the engine.

McPherson eventually fired six shots into the truck, two of which struck Tyler who was later pronounced dead.

The official report claims the action was necessary in order "to stop the ongoing threat to the public and the officers."

Tyler's dad says he was unarmed at the time.

"So he didn't shut the damn truck off, so let's fire six rounds at him?" exclaimed Gary Shepley, Tyler's step-grandfather. "We're confused, and we don't understand."

James said his son had his fair share of minor troubles with the law, and was distraught over a recent breakup with his girlfriend, but was in the process of turning his life around, and was working on obtaining his GED at Des Moines Area Community College.

"He was a smart kid. He made his own computers. He was interested in IT," James told the Register.

The family's demands for answers got even louder following the revelation that a member of the Ames police department suggested twice that officers call off the chase.

"He took off with my truck. I call the police, and they kill him," James said. ""It was over a damn pack of cigarettes."

McPherson is currently on paid leave pending the results of his department's investigation.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Just watched the video. That kid went straight up batshit crazy.

Car = deadly weapon.. I would shoot him too... Kid went off the rails for sure
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Copy of video?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

It now works?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Assaulting an officer...twice. Can't see the driver in the final section since he hit the police car on the right, but I can't find reason to fault the police officer.

I wonder if the father had any idea how deranged his son was before he made the call to police.

Sad, but this wasn't some "nice kid."

I wonder what would have happened if the cop suspended the high speed pursuit? He seemed to be driving fine before the cop started tailing him.

Not trying to stick up for him at all, just thinking this could possibly had a different result...without endangering the public.

9. Likes hank moon liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    I wonder what would have happened if the cop suspended the high speed pursuit? He seemed to be driving fine before the cop started tailing him.

Not trying to stick up for him at all, just thinking this could possibly had a different result...without endangering the public.
    Yes. In some cultures, police are trained to defuse, rather than escalate.

hard to learn from a lesson like that.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    probably just heading to the store for some skittles and an iced tea.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

13. Likes denaliguide liked this post
    That's pretty sad and the cop need to be disciplined. I mean if you fire 6 shots and only 2 hit your target? Looks like someone needs more time on the target range. This was clearly a 2 bullet situation, one to resolve it, and one to make sure it doesn't happen again. I propose 4 bullets be deducted from the officers pay as punishment.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

15. Likes Eric Holden, denaliguide liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    That's pretty sad and the cop need to be disciplined. I mean if you fire 6 shots and only 2 hit your target? Looks like someone needs more time on the target range. This was clearly a 2 bullet situation, one to resolve it, and one to make sure it doesn't happen again. I propose 4 bullets be deducted from the officers pay as punishment.
    GASP! How dare you make such an immature comment. The CC will be here any minute to arraign you of your childish shenanigans.

In all seriousness, the dude rammed the cop car three times, and blew right through a stop light in the midst of opposing traffic. Its a miracle he didn't kill somebody before the cops shot him. The shooting was warranted. A high speed truck is a deadly weapon.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

17. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    Yeah, just last night I was watching one of those cop chase shows when they showed a video from England with the end of a high speed pursuit resulting in the guy using his car to ping pong between some family van with some terrified lady in it and the motorcycle one of the chasing cops was on.

There were at least 6 cops crawling all over this car, trying to smash the windows with their little billy clubs while this guy was going nuts, back and forth with these cops flying off the car.

I was thinking about how glad I am that our police are armed. Point the guns at the guy and yell "Out of the car"!!!...if he doesn't comply, fill it full of lead. That'll "de-escalate" the problem real quick.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

As sad as this situation is, it just shows a young man who's life was already off the rails. He was likely a ticking time-bomb. It's unfortunate that something wasn't done to curb this behavior earlier in his life. It's a shame that it ended the way it did, but given the circumstances, the police were justified.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    As sad as this situation is, it just shows a young man who's life was already off the rails. He was likely a ticking time-bomb. It's unfortunate that something wasn't done to curb this behavior earlier in his life. It's a shame that it ended the way it did, but given the circumstances, the police were justified.
    I agree. It's more than just a "pack of cigarettes" as the Dad explains. It's a red herring, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong - a life taken over something like this is crazy. It's terribly sad for the family.

Starting the vid at 1:30 I was thinking oh crap, he's gonna run that light and broadside a family van. He was probably going 85+ mph there.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

"So he didn't shut the damn truck off, so let's fire six rounds at him?" exclaimed Gary Shepley, Tyler's step-grandfather. "We're confused, and we don't understand."

No they fired six rounds because he rammed a police car twice, and almost ran over about 6 people.

Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Holden View Post

No they fired six rounds because he rammed a police car twice, and almost ran over about 6 people.

Yeah you wonder if he made those comments before or after he saw the video?