Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Squeeze

The Squeeze

On Oct 26th some friends myself and my wife hiked the Squeeze. We camped at Hidden Splendor and hiked the Miner's approach. The Miner's approach is much better than the standard approach. It was especially good for me because I was able to talk my wife into going with me. This was her first canyon that required wetsuits. She was very concern about being warm. I promised her that she would be with her 5mm wetsuit and I carried an extra 5mm vest just in case. This was also her first canyon since our daughter was born six month ago. It was awesome having her with me. The day was perfect being about 40 degrees when we started hiking at 7 am and around 70 with clear blue sky

2. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow! Loved some of those jumps! Wonderful TR and video :) I can't wait till I get to the squeeze again. It is an amazing water park when full!

Tell me more about this Miners Approach? How long did it take your group to make the approach hike?
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Loved the video hikster11! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by hikster11 View Post
    On Oct 26th some friends myself and my wife hiked the Squeeze. She was very concern about being warm. I promised her that she would be with her 5mm wetsuit and I carried an extra 5mm vest just in case. This was also her first canyon since our daughter was born six month ago. It was awesome having her with me. The day was perfect being about 40 degrees when we started hiking at 7
    gorgeous video
    was your wife able to stay warm?
    i did it at the beginning of october and in a old 5mm i froze my butt off,that now i got myself a 7mm
    really like the traverse video on the keeper ,i have to try that next time
    Last edited by hesse15; 11-07-2013 at 10:40 AM. Reason: emoticons

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    Wow! Loved some of those jumps! Wonderful TR and video :) I can't wait till I get to the squeeze again. It is an amazing water park when full!

Tell me more about this Miners Approach? How long did it take your group to make the approach hike?
    For one the Miner's approach is shorter than the standard. It would be much better to do in the heat also because you would be in the shade longer than the standard route. When I did the standard route last year. It was about 85 or 90 degrees in the morning and it felt long and steep. The Miner's approach is steep also but its very scenic and it went by quickly. It took us about 2 hours to get from camp to the head of the slot.

Quote Originally Posted by hesse15 View Post
    gorgeous video
    was your wife able to stay warm?
    i did it at the beginning of october and in a old 5mm i froze my butt off,that now i got myself a 7mm
    really like the traverse video on the keeper ,i have to try that next time
    Yes my wife stayed warm with just her 5mm wetsuit.

For one the Miner's approach is shorter than the standard. It would be much better to do in the heat also because you would be in the shade longer than the standard route. When I did the standard route last year. It was about 85 or 90 degrees in the morning and it felt long and steep. The Miner's approach is steep also but its very scenic and it went by quickly. It took us about 2 hours to get from camp to the head of the slot.
    Awesome! I'm excited to try it next time
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Awesome. Nice work on that video. I absolutely love The Squeeze. Last time we were there it was bone dry. Stood in the bottom of every pot and did pyramids/partner assists to escape. Fun to see it full like that. Again, well done.

Great video Duane!

The big pothole in there is very interesting. How did you guys defeat it? Were the lines already set up?
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

I was able to just climb around it and set up the rope for the rest of my group. Its a lot easier than it looks. I did fall in the pot hole once. Last year when I did the same pot hole the water was about 6 feet down from the lip. We threw pot shots and keep pulling them back over the lip. After trying to get out for without success. I climbed back up my rope on the upper side of the canyon. Then tried climbing around and did it with ease.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Great TR and well done video. Looks like a great time.

I was able to just climb around it and set up the rope for the rest of my group. Its a lot easier than it looks. I did fall in the pot hole once. Last year when I did the same pot hole the water was about 6 feet down from the lip. We threw pot shots and keep pulling them back over the lip. After trying to get out for without success. I climbed back up my rope on the upper side of the canyon. Then tried climbing around and did it with ease.

Two potshots did the trick for us. But I'm only ~ 170 lbs with all my gear, minus pack. If your packing even two potshots, you can get out easily if you also chuck your packs. It's a short easy toss. The bolts are completely superfluous. The first small keeper has traverse bolts that are also completely unnecessary, as it can be stemmed by anyone taller than 5'5". I can't believe all the bolts in that place. Fun none-the-less. Well done.

15. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    Two potshots did the trick for us. But I'm only ~ 170 lbs with all my gear, minus pack. If your packing even two potshots, you can get out easily if you also chuck your packs. It's a short easy toss. The bolts are completely superfluous. The first small keeper has traverse bolts that are also completely unnecessary, as it can be stemmed by anyone taller than 5'5". I can't believe all the bolts in that place. Fun none-the-less. Well done.
    We were trying with two pots shots and I'm also 170. I think my problem was I was just trying to climb up the rope hand over hand. I think if clipped something onto the rope that I could stand up on I would have gotton out. At least that has worked well on other pot holes I've done since then.

We were trying with two pots shots and I'm also 170. I think my problem was I was just trying to climb up the rope hand over hand. I think if clipped something onto the rope that I could stand up on I would have gotton out. At least that has worked well on other pot holes I've done since then.
    For short tosses you can string multiple potshots on one line. If the lip is really high you can just put a tibloc on the single line. Long toses don't work as well with the stringing technique because you generally can't toss them as far. But it's a good technique where applicable.

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Great video Duane!

The big pothole in there is very interesting. How did you guys defeat it? Were the lines already set up?
    Just come with me and you will never have to defeat a pothole again! HAHA

Everytime I go through a canyon with Potholes, they all tend to be completely full of water!
    My YouTube Channel

19. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    They are definitely more fun full

Very interesting! Never heard of anyone doing it that way.

What is easy for Bootboy might not be easy for me, or others. Throwing potshots around that corner into a useful spot is challenging. Throwing a pack around that corner is HARD. Atta boy BB if you did it that way.

Earlier this year, Tom used four potshots to get across.

A couple of weeks later, under the same conditions, I expected to do the same. However, my wife escaped with a single half-full potshot, pulling herself out of the water hand over hand, then finished with a VERY precarious mantle / beach whale move on the polished rolling exit lip. Wish I had filmed that move, among best I've ever seen in a canyon.

Would love to see film of how others have done it, if anyone has captured it.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Very interesting! Never heard of anyone doing it that way.

What is easy for Bootboy might not be easy for me, or others. Throwing potshots around that corner into a useful spot is challenging. Throwing a pack around that corner is HARD. Atta boy BB if you did it that way.

Earlier this year, Tom used four potshots to get across.

A couple of weeks later, under the same conditions, I expected to do the same. However, my wife escaped with a single half-full potshot, pulling herself out of the water hand over hand, then finished with a VERY precarious mantle / beach whale move on the polished rolling exit lip. Wish I had filmed that move, among best I've ever seen in a canyon.

Would love to see film of how others have done it, if anyone has captured it.
    Piece of cake if you stem up a few feet, you can toss it right over the corner instead of AROUND the the corner.
    As seen here at the very pothole in question.

23. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Would love to see film of how others have done it, if anyone has captured it.[/QUOTE]

We only got pictures of me climbing around. As you know only so many bodies can be in that spot. James wearing the gopro was to far back and did not get video of me doing the climb

25. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    The climb around is much easier to do when the pothole has water in it. The 20 foot fall onto the ground makes the climbing considerably harder, when dryish.

And just to correct the record, I required 3 pot shots to escape it, with waist-deep water in the pothole.

Tom