Thread: 3-Day Canyon Leadership Training (December 2013)

3-Day Canyon Leadership Training (December 2013)

Come join us in the beautiful slickrock desert of Red Rock Canyon for three days of training to engage the question: what is a canyoneering trip leader? Each day will be activity-driven, centered around practical scenarios that address a wide range of situations encountered in the canyons. The focus will be on developing higher levels of individual competence, teamwork and situational awareness for each team member. Our previous courses have proven that the more varied the group the better experience for everyone, thus beginner and advanced canyoneers working with each other have yielded incredibly worthwhile experiences for both.

For more info:

Friday, December 13 - Sunday, December 15:
    https://www.eventbrite.com/event/9180548267

Student feedback from recent events:

"The student, even an inexperienced one, is forced to think creatively to solve the problem. I thought this teaching approach was excellent at forcing you out of your comfort zone and challenging you to not just follow old habits."

- Craig Skiles

"The format is a winner, with a curriculum that balances group communication and decision-making with individual technical skills. These new tools make me more confident in my ability to help my groups have safe and fun experiences."

- Paul Stevens

Last edited by hank moon; 12-05-2013 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Update with new info

2. Likes tjdowling, ratagonia, Kuya liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Here is a copy of my post on the other canyoneering forum. Hopefully, the Bogley crowd will find it useful.

I attended the November Canyon Leadership Seminar and was very pleased. This three day seminar is a tremendous bargain for anyone looking to work on improving their skills. And, of course, everyone should be working to improve their skills.

The rain forced us to stay under cover for half of the first day and all of the the second. Fortunately, Red Rocks has large picnic pavilions with high ceilings and steel beams which allowed us to stay dry and to focus intensely on rescue skills such as passing knots (ascending and descending), converting to lower with double and single strand, haul systems, etc. But, most importantly, we discussed subjects such as what makes a good canyon leader, and how to guide teammates toward a safer, more environmentally sensitive, and more enjoyable experience.

On the third day the rains relented and the beautiful Nevada desert showed itself. We headed into Red Rocks and spent the day practicing in two small canyons close to the loop road. Jonathan continued to question his students on the dynamics of a good team. His questions are not easy to answer. He seems to be less concerned about what you know and more concerned about how you view life and the world around you. I believe he feels that safety in the canyon is less about technique and more about respect for the canyon and the people with which you are experiencing it. He asks things such as, "What are you views on the 'Leave no trace' ethic?" Or, "What do you think about this anchor setup?" Never do his questions point to obvious answers and never does he offer simple solutions. The student, even an inexperienced one, is forced to think creatively to solve the problem. I thought this teaching approach was excellent at forcing you out of you comfort zone and demanding you to not just follow old habits. If you knew how to do something a certain way then Jonathan made sure that that option was not available to you! He is cruel in that way.

Why do these seminars not sell out immediately? Anybody out there lurking on this forum should know that the Canyon Safety Project is not going to be able to maintain these prices indefinitely. I think these seminars are Hank and Jonathan's holiday gift to the canyoneering world and I was very lucky to be able to attend.

Craig

6. Likes hank moon, ratagonia liked this post
    I would definitely do something like this if I had the time & money...

8. Likes hank moon liked this post
    Update + bump:

Come join us in the beautiful slickrock desert of Red Rock Canyon for three days of training to engage the question: what is a canyoneering trip leader? Each day will be activity-driven, centered around practical scenarios that address a wide range of situations encountered in the canyons. The focus will be on developing higher levels of individual competence, teamwork and situational awareness for each team member. Our previous courses have proven that the more varied the group the better experience for everyone, thus beginner and advanced canyoneers working with each other have yielded incredibly worthwhile experiences for both.

For more info:

Friday, December 13 - Sunday, December 15:
    https://www.eventbrite.com/event/9180548267

Student feedback from recent events:

"The student, even an inexperienced one, is forced to think creatively to solve the problem. I thought this teaching approach was excellent at forcing you out of your comfort zone and challenging you to not just follow old habits."

- Craig Skiles

"The format is a winner, with a curriculum that balances group communication and decision-making with individual technical skills. These new tools make me more confident in my ability to help my groups have safe and fun experiences."

- Paul Stevens