Thread: Lomatium Canyon

Lomatium Canyon

Over the weekend I was able to take my family and another group through Lomatium Canyon. I must admit, canyoneering with family is the best! :)

Almost a year ago, this very same weekend, I ran into a group of canyoneers from New Mexico in Undercover Canyon. It just so happened that on the anniversary weekend of that chance meeting, we ended up running another canyon with them in Moab! This time it was planned, and this time we had a great time. They were fun and skilled. It was a privilege to be with them all in a canyon.

One thing about becoming part of this canyoneering community is that I have been able to make some pretty cool friends. If all of you are as cool in person as the people I have met previously because of Bogley, then I am looking forward to meeting every single one of you!

Enjoy the Video :) It is one of my personal favorites!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Great vid, really does the canyon Justice!
    I like the time-lapse shots of your entire group getting past obstacles. Looks like a buncha fun, thanks for posting.

4. Likes Kuya liked this post
    GREAT video Blake!!! I'm digging the hero 3+ already! ;)

-Luke

6. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Awesome video. Great job. Where did you get your music for this video

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

8. Likes Kuya liked this post
    WOW... insanely good Blake! Excellent video, one of the best I've ever seen. GoPro should be calling you to give you free cameras.

Love the shot at 3:54!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

10. Likes Kuya liked this post

12. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by hikster11 View Post

I used a GoPro template from their movie editing software- GoPro Cineform. The music was part of the template I used. (ahhhhh! my secret is out! haha)
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

14. Likes hikster11 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    I used a GoPro template from their movie editing software- GoPro Cineform. The music was part of the template I used. (ahhhhh! my secret is out! haha)
    Here's the audio on SoundCloud as well. This is where I'm getting a lot of my audio lately

https://soundcloud.com/overwerk/daybreak-h3

Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    Great vid, really does the canyon Justice!
    I like the time-lapse shots of your entire group getting past obstacles. Looks like a buncha fun, thanks for posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by pikan View Post
    GREAT video Blake!!! I'm digging the hero 3+ already! ;)

-Luke
    Quote Originally Posted by hikster11 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    WOW... insanely good Blake! Excellent video, one of the best I've ever seen. GoPro should be calling you to give you free cameras.

Love the shot at 3:54!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Great stuff, nice job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    That was an awesome video.

Thanks guys! I used GoPro's Cineform Studio to make this one. They have templates of some of their more popular YouTube videos available to use, so that is what I did. (you might recognize the music in this video from their Hero 3 feature film)

There are definitely some things I wish i could have edited better, but their movie making software didn't allow me to do it. I felt some of the clips were way to quick, but tht is just me.

what are your thoughts? what makes a AWESOME canyoneering video? You say this one is awesome, why is that? Also, what don't you like?
    My YouTube Channel

Thanks guys! I used GoPro's Cineform Studio to make this one. They have templates of some of their more popular YouTube videos available to use, so that is what I did. (you might recognize the music in this video from their Hero 3 feature film)

There are definitely some things I wish i could have edited better, but their movie making software didn't allow me to do it. I felt some of the clips were way to quick, but tht is just me.

what are your thoughts? what makes a AWESOME canyoneering video? You say this one is awesome, why is that? Also, what don't you like?
    I might have to look into the new Cineform software some more. I haven't submitted many videos lately for GoPro's Video of the Day, but maybe using a template would help in what they're looking for. I'm always using Windows Live Movie Maker to edit mine and it's treated me pretty good, and I've been trying to stay under the 3 minute mark lately.

I liked the video and I'm not familiar with the canyon, I got the impression that it was in chronological order. This is good from the "instructional" viewpoint for showing what to expect for those wanting to travel this route. If you're looking more towards submitting the footage to GoPro, I would probably mix in the Rappel scenes closer to the front and the middle, even though they may not be chronologically correct. Some may tune it out after the 3 minute mark and never see those scenes, just because they're trying to get a quick video fix while at work. From the GoPro staff point of view, that's probably what they're looking for, plus the cheesy little nature scenes, fast forwarded sky shots with the clouds changing, or shadows across the landscape. But that requires a dedicated camera on a tripod for hours.

As far as showing the canyon, I think it was excellent. I think the soundtrack fit. Great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I might have to look into the new Cineform software some more. I haven't submitted many videos lately for GoPro's Video of the Day, but maybe using a template would help in what they're looking for. I'm always using Windows Live Movie Maker to edit mine and it's treated me pretty good, and I've been trying to stay under the 3 minute mark lately.

I liked the video and I'm not familiar with the canyon, I got the impression that it was in chronological order. This is good from the "instructional" viewpoint for showing what to expect for those wanting to travel this route. If you're looking more towards submitting the footage to GoPro, I would probably mix in the Rappel scenes closer to the front and the middle, even though they may not be chronologically correct. Some may tune it out after the 3 minute mark and never see those scenes, just because they're trying to get a quick video fix while at work. From the GoPro staff point of view, that's probably what they're looking for, plus the cheesy little nature scenes, fast forwarded sky shots with the clouds changing, or shadows across the landscape. But that requires a dedicated camera on a tripod for hours.

As far as showing the canyon, I think it was excellent. I think the soundtrack fit. Great job.
    Thanks for this @somebeech. I really appreciate your advise.

Most of why I ask is for my own learning. Though i might eventually try and submit videos to GoPro, i'm mostly concerned about making good videos just for the sake of making good videos :) I
    My YouTube Channel

Fun people, good music, video of the approach, the pace--that's what I liked the most.

I'm not too particular though, out of all the videos on Bogley, there have been very few that I didn't care for. I do appreciate the time and effort people put in to sharing them.

21. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    Fun people, good music, video of the approach, the pace--that's what I liked the most.
    Fun People make all the difference. This was the first canyon I have done with people in the group that preformed well for the GoPro. One of the ladies in the video loved to Photo Bomb my shots (which was awesome) and the 15 year old kid in the video, well it was his first canyon and he was just so excited to be there! Not to mention that he is naturally hilarious anyway!
    My YouTube Channel

I think you did a good job keeping it stable smooth. Seems like I have a hard time keeping it smooth. Color and clarity are great. A good mix of scenery, people, and rappels. Looks like people are having fun so it makes the viewer excited or happy. Seeing people smile and have a good time makes others smile. The climb at 2:14 looks intense. I’ve done this route once and don’t remember that part. That’s just some of the things I noticed. I am by no means a video guy so I don’t feel that I can really say anything about making improvements. I’m still learning myself and mine don’t compare to yours. I made a video of this route and never posted it. If you want to see I could post a link. Yours is better I think.

24. Likes Kuya liked this post

I like what you did with the color enhancements, that was the key in this video I think, but one thing that you did well in this video that makes it a GREAT canyoneering video is the timing that you chose in slowing things down and speeding things up. The time lapses were great, you could tell what was happening in a short amount of time on the sped up sequences. Then you chose some really cool shots to slow down to really capture the scenery of the canyon in others. Most of the complaints I've read about videos is that one of those two things were not done right. You had a good mixture of the two.

Thanks guys!! I love the feedback :)

So what I have learned from your comments:

Have fun people in the video
    keep the video smooth
    its ok to tweak the color of the video
    have good music
    speed up/ slow down sequencing is important
    Time lapse shots are good
    Shorter moves are better
    put some of the "cool" stuff at the front
    and "good" music is key.
    My YouTube Channel

27. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Blake.. nice job, brotha!

29. Likes Kuya liked this post

31. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Nice video

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

33. Likes Kuya liked this post