Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The unknown Kiva

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You're a friggin' dork.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

"Re-constructed ????"

It was never there to begin with, just call a fake a fake !

What's next? Jurassic Park ?

"I was wandering around a high mesa and found something nobodies ever seen"

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    You're a friggin' dork.
    And, according to his website, the full time captain of the St. George fire department.

Would you "trust", somebody in a position of trust, that's been posting a scam like this for the past several years ??

When I first saw this I wondered about the ladder. I wondered if it were real, and had never been visited in a long time, where did the ladder come from? The ladders to the kivas in Bullet Canyon and Slickhorn Canyon, for example, are actually re-creations.

I've seen a lot of kivas over the years, but no (original) intact ladders. Have any kivas actually been found with an intact ladder? Even if someone did find one, it seems foolish that someone would use it.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

As you probably know, this is the original ladder from the kiva in Slickhorn that's now in the Blanding museum. They took it out of there in the early 90s?...prior to that, people were using it.

Because of that, I thought that Mr. Hooper's "undiscovered ruin" could certainly have one. I've also never encountered one amongst all the ruins I've seen...and in some cases "found".

There's a really nice, clean kiva in a canyon not far from the Gulch that myself and a girlfriend stumbled upon. We were on a little side hike and she wanted to turn back because it was getting shallow and boring...I pressed on with the intention of making the rim and there it was, in a place that you normally wouldn't expect it. Kind of like Yellow House. That was back in '98...I reckon perhaps others may have seen it since then, but it's kind of a weird diversion to reach. It was an after dinner "Let's cruise up here" kind of thing. I didn't bring my camera.

I can't help but wonder and be hopeful that something like a pristine kiva might still exist. My best guess that if one (or more) does, it's on Navajo land. But then again, they pilfered wood from those old ruins 600 years ago themselves.

...prior to that, people were using it.
    Still, even if one is found, it's not a good idea. I'm glad they took it out. Personally I'd hate to be the one that broke a rung on a 900 year old historic ladder. I'm willing to guess that most of the Anasazi/Ancestral Pueblo weighed a bit less than I do as well. Personally, I don't think I'd ever use an authentic ladder to access a kiva.

I've seen ladders in museums, but I've always assumed they've been repaired at least a little.

I've been to a lot of remote ruins (probably not near as many as you though), but I've never seen an intact ladder. I've seen one leading up to a ruin (which I'm sure you have seen too), but I don't think I'd use it and wouldn't call it fully intact. I guess it would be possible to find one, judging by the conditions of say, the Bridge of Poles near Eminence Break, but the kiva ladder in the photo here looks too good to be true. If it weren't for the ladder, I'd consider the story much more believable.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

To the best of my knowledge there aren't any intact kiva ladders in-situ. I guess it is possible there are some in the Tesgi canyon system. On Cedar Mesa there are quite a few sets of ladder poles, some w/ the rungs on the floor by the poles. The replica poles in Perfect Kiva/Slickhorn have now had bolts added. It would sure be great to find an intact ladder out there.

On Cedar Mesa there are quite a few sets of ladder poles, some w/ the rungs on the floor by the poles.
    Here is an example of one of them :

Name:  Broken ladder.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  877.8 KB

11. Likes Byron liked this post
    Strange I recognize this pole of the Healing Kiva Philippe, Hope I never seen a queen inside it like the tennis player girl of Hooper

13. Likes Byron liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post

I've been to a lot of remote ruins (probably not near as many as you though).
    Maybe, maybe not...one thing's for sure, there's plenty to see when you get more than a day away from the vehicle. Especially around the Abajo's.

Strange I recognize this pole of the Healing Kiva Philippe
    You're right, Alan, this is the kiva that you call Healing Kiva on your website.

Hope I never seen a queen inside it like the tennis player girl of Hooper
    What would you say if you meet this archeologist from Memphis in a kiva ?

Name:  Archeologist Menphis.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  167.7 KB

Yes, this one is believable and a much more likely find than finding a ladder in the condition in the original post on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Philippe View Post
    Here is an example of one of them :

Name:  Broken ladder.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  877.8 KB
    Especially around the Abajo's.
    Agreed. The not fully intact ladder I have seen was in one of the canyons I know you have explored (the one that starts with a B), so I'm pretty sure you have seen it too.