Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The unknown Kiva

AR
    Last edited by rjhooperphoto; 11-16-2014 at 04:27 PM. Reason: AR

2. Likes Byron liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I just paid a visit to your website...great work! It seems that one shot of the kiva is the only one you put up, as I couldn't find it in your galleries.

I've also done tons of exploring, deep into the wilderness and finding ruins that few, if any, have seen. Some of them are quite impressive, but that kiva of yours certainly is a top gem.

I certainly understand your desire to keep it secret, but remember that no all would come there to do harm...therefore it kind of breaks my heart to know that I may never see it, as I love ruins.

So my brain is working...my best guess it that it's in Arizona, perhaps west/northwest of Kayenta...in or around Tsegi Canyon or Grey Mesa. I've heard there are LOTS of incredible ruins there, but it's nearly impossible these days to get in there.

Back in the nineties there were a few Navajo that would take some folks in on tours, or let them explore on their own. Some of my old time hiking buddies told me about going in there and seeing all these ruins in pristine conditions. Eventually though, other Navajos made it clear that strangers weren't welcome in there...damaging cars, blocking roads, things like that.

Otherwise, I can't imagine that kiva would be anywhere near Cedar Mesa...but then again, the rangers there were able to keep the Citadel a secret, for a while.

Anyway, I could show you some really awesome stuff...perhaps I'll show you mine if you show me yours, eh?
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Great photo. I usually don't like people in landscape photos but for this one it really works.
    We must go forward, even if we can't!

Thanks for sharing the image...got any more? ...please?

Thanks also for not sharing the location...it is enough to know that these places exist....amazing!

Keep your lens clean and your mind open

7. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    I am not usually one to put people into photos either..but this did work out, helps that she is attractive!

Peter I do have a few more but nothing too much in detail, as a photographer I was looking for specific composition with this.. I ll post them this weekend!

Bryon, thanks! It is too bad about the reservation. there is a lot to see there for sure! I think the best of the best has only been seen by a small handful of people. you have any photos?

The story on the kiva & the kiva itself is false. The kiva was constructed buy a guy in Apple Valley, UT.( E of Hurricane ) & is in the backyard. You can even see the opening on GE @ 309547 4108659 NAD83.

Can you give the point with another format of GPS, I dont know how I can convert to see in GE ?
    This kiva is just another history to win much money and have popularity...

It looks like the original post has been deleted?

Ha! Snookered by a con! I've seen a few really nice Kivas out in the wild, but come to think of it, never any quite that nice. Should seen through that one.

Hey rjhooper, you're cred now sucks big time.

His website says he's the captain of the St. George fire department. Talk about integrity.

How did you figure that out, canyon light? That's actually really impressive that someone would just wake up and build such a realistic Kiva in their backyard. Are you guys really pissed at RJ now or am I misreading the sarcasm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by villainousturtle View Post
    Are you guys really pissed at RJ now or am I misreading the sarcasm?

Dude...

Put the Sherlock Holmes cap on for this one. Look at the date that canyonlight called him out and then look at when rj deleted it. The word for that is "busted".

No, it's not sarcasm. And it's not anger. It's disgust.

Exactly right.Disgust. A lot of people initially wanted to find the "kiva". No one ( friends who spend considerable time exploring Cedar Mesa, Grand Gulch etc. ) had any idea where it was. We pretty much decided it was a fake but had no real proof. While discussing this w/ a friend & mentioning that Hooper was from St. George he then recognized it. He had been there. The guy who built it had nothing to do w/ the deception. What is interesting is that although he removed it from Bogley he kept it on his Facebook page etc.

I'm always amazed at the amount of knowledge on bogley... you guys rock!

[SIZE=1][FONT=arial]After studying RJ Hooper's picture for 5 minutes when he published it in November 2013, me and my friends who are interested in Native American dwellings (and have visited lots of them) were not fooled by his "story" and guessed that it was not a real kiva but a welldone reconstructed one, so we didn't try to find its location.

Thank you Canyonlight for this information confirming what we were gessing and that it was just a joke from RJ Hooper.

According to this link http://womenofthefurtrade.com/Primit...tery_Camp.html John Olsen built this kiva (good job !)

As you said, we can see this kiva on Google Earth at 37

[QUOTE=Philippe;564217][SIZE=1][FONT=arial]After studying RJ Hooper's picture for 5 minutes when he published it in November 2013, me and my friends who are interested in Native American dwellings (and have visited lots of them) were not fooled by his "story" and guessed that it was not a real kiva but a welldone reconstructed one, so we didn't try to find its location.

Thank you Canyonlight for this information confirming what we were gessing and that it was just a joke from RJ Hooper.

According to this link http://womenofthefurtrade.com/Primit...tery_Camp.html John Olsen built this kiva (good job !)

As you said, we can see this kiva on Google Earth at 37

Seems Mr Hooper has deleted the photo from his own site as well.

The unknown Kiva

At first, giving him the benefit of the doubt, I was under the impression that, perhaps, RJ originally thought it was an authentic Kiva. Then when it was shown to be a fake, maybe he got embarrassed and absconded.

The "high on a Mesa top" embellishment (shown to be false now that we know it's just in some Schmoe's backyard, at ground level) in addition to the hiding and complete silence behavior, on the other hand, points to a more slimy intent- That from the beginning he knew it was fake and just lied to us.

He could clear his name by just 'fessing up in either case, but apparently he's decided, so far, to hide.

C'mon RJ, we know you're reading all this.