Thread: Devils Thumb

Devils Thumb

Devils Thumb, Ticaboo – Dante Canyon system 10/19.2013

Steve Ramras (Ram) pointed this canyon out to us many years when we were finishing up the canyon Inferno in the Dante
    Canyon system many years ago but because of time and weather constraints we weren’t able to travel thru it then.
    We finally got a chance this last October 2013 on a very beautiful Saturday morning in the Ticaboo area north of Lake Powell.

From an allegorical perspective the name “Devils’ Thumb” doesn’t fit into the Dante canyon naming scheme. From a
    geographical perspective the name is a great fit as the canyon sits like a thumb southwest of the four fingers of the Dante
    canyons. It even has its own hangnail sort of speak in the upper section of the drainage located on the right LDC – a nasty
    set of potholes with keeper ledges which can be bypassed by climbing up and around to the right LDC of these and down a
    drainage. We dropped in on the left side LDC in a very fun crack with some milder potholes, plenty of down climb
    challenges and a rappel.

I really appreciated all my canyoneering partners in this canyon -. partner assists and team work were very helpful,
    almost mandatory. I don’t think I would do this canyon with less than 3 or 4 people. The wet and muddy conditions in this
    canyon contribute to its difficulty as do a couple of anchor challenges. The canyon finishes out with a treat - some ruins
    to visit. There is a story there for sure.

Thanks to my canyoneering partners Dave, Monica, Kari, Matt M. and Matt C. for a great time.

Thanks to Climb-Utah.com and Bluugnome.com for the canyon write up beta

Thanks to Matt M. and Monica for their pictures.

Doug French
    Attached Images Attached Images                                             
    Don't believe everything you think.

-Borrowed from a bumper sticker I believe

2. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Great post & Pics. We were out there last Spring but did not get to DT. Next Spring.
    I've seen you reference 'Ram's exit' ?? We did the ridge between Paradiso & Limbo per Shane's beta. Same thing or diff? Thanks.
    And yes agree- neat part of Dante's more so than some canyons is all of the good partner assisting and teamwork that is almost necessary. Makes it more fun I think. Purgatory being the exception - pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by flatiron View Post
    I've seen you reference 'Ram's exit' ?? We did the ridge between Paradiso & Limbo per Shane's beta. Same thing or diff? Thanks.
    Ram was one of the original pioneers of the place. That ridge between Paradiso and Limbo was the exit he pioneered when exploring the place. Same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by french_de View Post
    Ram was one of the original pioneers of the place. That ridge between Paradiso and Limbo was the exit he pioneered when exploring the place. Same thing.
    Thanks - yes I knew Ram had helped 'find' Dantes. Be interesting if anyone finds a easier/different way in future. The whole Ticaboo area is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by flatiron View Post
    Thanks - yes I knew Ram had helped 'find' Dantes. Be interesting if anyone finds a easier/different way in future. The whole Ticaboo area is amazing.
    I think there are some other ways out of there although a tad longer mileage wise. Ryan's beta at ajroadtrips.com describes an optional hikers exit in addition to the Climbers(Ram's) exit. I have not had the opportunity to take Ryan's hikers exit though.

Yes I think we are very fortunate to have such an amazing place in our back yard.

When we were in the Dantes we went up on the ridge on the opposite side from all the canyons. You could look out across the valley and see all of them lined up. It was pretty cool, but it did take quite a while. If we had known there was a shorter exit we probably would have taken it.
    --Cliff