Thread: 50 Miler Ideas in the Uintas

50 Miler Ideas in the Uintas

Calling all people who have backpacked in the Uintas! I am planning a 50 mile backpacking trek next year and am wondering what are some of the better routes for a backpacking trip of this nature. Any advise, GPS tracks, literature recommendations, etc would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Blake
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

A year ago I took a YM's group from West Fork of Black Fork to Mirror lake. Awesome trip. 1st night at Dead Horse Lake, 2nd at Lightning lake, 3rd at Governor Dern Lake and 4th in Naturalist Basin.

Let me know if you want GPS tracks or other questions.

Quote Originally Posted by hike.higher View Post
    A year ago I took a YM's group from West Fork of Black Fork to Mirror lake. Awesome trip. 1st night at Dead Horse Lake, 2nd at Lightning lake, 3rd at Governor Dern Lake and 4th in Naturalist Basin.

Let me know if you want GPS tracks or other questions.
    Please! I would love your GPS track. thank you for your help and suggestions!

PM with email address sent.
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

When I was a much younger man I went from Butterfly Lake off HWY 50 up over AGZ. to four lake basin, Dropped into red castle, worked the high line for a while on over and came out at Spirit lake and back in to browns hole and bad back to hwy 50. Forest service maps is about all you could find back then but the fishing was superb with two lakes that had artic greayling.
    Seems to me it was about 15 days to pull off and most was as high as I could get and the trails where up there also.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

The maps are waterproof and I'd trade all them batteries and gps agaist dry socks and foot powder any day. Not that it ever gets wet in the Unitas or Uintahs as some natives say.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.

8. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Looks like I need to pick up a good map or two as well. I think it would be awesome if I had my boys navigate the hike only using a map and compass. hmmmmmmm, Somthing to think about :)
    My YouTube Channel

It can never hurt any skills to learn map 101 and the truth is in the deep stuff with faded or messed up markers for trails it beats gps hands down.
    Be safe out there and enjoy cause that's a big part of the fun.

All right! I now am a proud owner of the Hiking: Utah's High Uintas" book and the Nat Geo Map of the Uinta's!!

First off, I wanna thank ya'll for helping me with my planning. It has been so fun, and some of you have been SOOOOO Helpful! @hike.higher, corresponding with you has been wonderful!

So. this will be my first real 50 mile trek. And the first for my scouts as well. what advice do you have for taking scouts on a trip like this (14 - 16yrs old). As many of you understand, many scouts don't have the $$ to gear up with top of the line packs, clothes, tents, sleeping bags, etc. what do you recomend for them?

Also, One of the routes I have planned starts/ends at Mirror Lake and West Fork Blacks Fork. Which of the TH is easier? I kinda wanna give my kids the easier portions at the first of the week when the packs are a bit heavier. OR, would it be better to get some of the really hard stuff out of the way right off the bat?

Any and all advise is welcome! Id also like to know you thoughts about some other routes...
    My YouTube Channel

The Highland Trail I believe is the longest in the Uintas 70 miles?

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch View Post
    The Highland Trail I believe is the longest in the Uintas 70 miles?
    I would love to do that trail sometime, but probably not with my scouts lol
    My YouTube Channel

If my memory serves me well and it never does. From Butterfly lake off hwy head to four lake basin up and over the rocky sea pass and over to Spirit Lake and back again is like 47 miles.

Also, One of the routes I have planned starts/ends at Mirror Lake and West Fork Blacks Fork.
    Tips:

1. Start at Hayden Pass rather than Mirror Lake. You have to pay to park at Mirror Lake and there isn't much parking. Plus the Hayden Pass route is slightly shorter.

2. In a normal snow year, an ice axe is recommended to cross Deadhorse Pass until well into July. It is always the last pass in the Uintas to melt off.

West Fork Blacks Fork is one of the prettiest drainages in the Uintas.

Which of the TH is easier?
    It would be easier to start at the Hayden Pass side and hike from that direction. The road to West Fork Blacks Fork is rough, so be aware of that.

From Butterfly lake off hwy head to four lake basin up and over the rocky sea pass and over to Spirit Lake and back again is like 47 miles.
    Spirit Lake and back is a lot longer than 47 miles round trip from Butterfly Lake. It's more than that one way.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Tips:

1. Start at Hayden Pass rather than Mirror Lake. You have to pay to park at Mirror Lake and there isn't much parking. Plus the Hayden Pass route is slightly shorter.

2. In a normal snow year, an ice axe is recommended to cross Deadhorse Pass until well into July. It is always the last pass in the Uintas to melt off.

West Fork Blacks Fork is one of the prettiest drainages in the Uintas.

It would be easier to start at the Hayden Pass side and hike from that direction. The road to West Fork Blacks Fork is rough, so be aware of that.

Spirit Lake and back is a lot longer than 47 miles round trip from Butterfly Lake. It's more than that one way.

Thanks for this @Scott P. sounds like I need to have a few alternate paths to take as well, just incase the conditions aren't ideal come mid July.

What are some other amazing trails in the High Uintas?
    My YouTube Channel