Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is the Clove Hitch Safe?

Thanks for the reminder to keep it simple.

I've also noticed that with the clove hitch it is easy to adjust the rope length. I have more trouble doing that with the constrictor or with the un-named hitch above.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by craigskiles View Post
    Thanks for the reminder to keep it simple.

I've also noticed that with the clove hitch it is easy to adjust the rope length. I have more trouble doing that with the constrictor or with the un-named hitch above.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    So tie it right the first time. If it's only off by a little bit, does it really matter enough to have move it?
    If it's off enough to be significant, you screwed up, retie it.

I'll just throw my vote in for the constrictor....it's effective, easy to tie (easier than the clove IMO....not that the clove is hard though ;) ), and even though it's a bit tougher to untie, it's really not too bad once you get the hang of it.

-Luke

5. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by pikan View Post
    I'll just throw my vote in for the constrictor....it's effective, easy to tie (easier than the clove IMO....not that the clove is hard though ;) ), and even though it's a bit tougher to untie, it's really not too bad once you get the hang of it.

-Luke
    Amen

Tom's ease of inspection point is also important for safety - any response to that from the constrictor fans?

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    Tom's ease of inspection point is also important for safety - any response to that from the constrictor fans?
    The only hang up that I can see, is that it is close enough in appearance to the clove, that people will think it's a clove. And the difference may give people concern. I don't have much experience with the triple clove, but I imagine it's a similar story. Like with all knots, you have to know what to look for with each specific knot. But other than that, I think it's pretty easy to inspect.

Quote Originally Posted by deagol View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    It's easily releasable with any rope. But you have to tie it right. Clip the cross over so you are clipping three strands instead of just two. Once tightened it can easily be loosened if you work the knot to the corner of the biner.
    do you have a picture of this ?

Thanks...
    Bootboy,

I still can't picture what you mean when you say "Clip the cross over so you are clipping three strands instead of just two".

I practiced with the Constrictor hitch last night and compared it to the triple clove, but can't wrap my head around this statement...

What do you mean by "clipping the cross over" and can you post a picture?

Thanks in advance

Also, comparing the two hitches last night, I found the constrictor easier to tie and easy to inspect. I put body weight on it and even bounced a tad on it to tighten it as much as I could. It was definitely a bit harder to get out than the standard clove hitch, but not so much as to cause concern. Granted, this was just with my body weight without a pack, so not indicative of how tight it could tighten with a group rapping on it.

so once the hitch is tied, clip the side with three strands which in this picture is the top side.

Basically, I'm referring to the side if the hitch that sits INSIDE the carabiner as the "clipped"'side of the knot.

11. Likes D.O.N.E. liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    so once the hitch is tied, clip the side with three strands which in this picture is the top side.

Basically, I'm referring to the side if the hitch that sits INSIDE the carabiner as the "clipped"'side of the knot.

Ahh, thank you !!!!

Cool, I already had it correct, but the wording made me think I was wrong.
    Yes, I do like this hitch better than the triple clove. It's easy to tie and I don't have issues getting it to release. Holds really well, not hard to inspect IMO

Has anyone here used a pile hitch for a block?

Aka a Russian or a Sanhuex

I use it when building trad climbing anchors. It's a fantastic knot for dynamic rope but I've never thought about using it for a block.

Bootboy
    Just to be sure is this the knot you are referring too
    http://www.animatedknots.com/constri...matedknots.com

Yep, I tie it with the folding method described on that page.