Thread: Constrychnine 10/19/2013

Constrychnine 10/19/2013

We had a neighborhood marathon trip to Constrychnine on Oct 19. Due to lack of participation from what was a planned scout trip, we brought a couple of our 14 year old daughters into the mix. (Quote of the day:
    Attached Images Attached Images        

2. Likes Sombeech liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice job! I took my then 6 year old through this one. I hear you about that anchor out of reach, sketchy.

Great report, it is a fantastic canyon.

Nice TR!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
    Beautiful spot! As we walked up the edge, there was no obvious anchor anywhere… until we leaned over the edge and looked back to the right and saw webbing hanging from a choke stone 12 feet above and over the void. I can only imagine somebody climbed up there, quite exposed, and set that thing up. I’m 6’3” and wasn’t about to lean out over the ledge to try and poke a rope through rapide… nuts! I was also not about let one of our guys climb up to it. (Slot_Machine, your Candition report on 10/6 says you built a couple of new anchors. Did you set that thing up? Crazy!)
    I was with @Slot Machine in there a couple weeks ago and that anchor was there already.

I climbed up to the chockstones to inspect the anchor. Not as scary as it looks once you get up there, but it does require some skill and confidence and is definitely exposed. Getting back down could also be tricky for most.

I can see how leaning out over that edge to thread the rope would be pretty scary too. I'm 6' tall and I stemmed up about a foot so that I was doing more reaching than leaning over the edge. @MiCamp (5'10" ish) was able to reach up and hook a locker into the rapide too. I didn't see him do it so not sure if he stemmed up a bit too. That anchor should maybe be extended, of course that might deter some from inspecting it... The chockstone you found sounds like it was a good move.

The brand new looking black webbing anchors are from our group. We came across fresh blue webbing in there also.

Great report! Looks like a fun crew!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
    Slot_Machine, your Candition report on 10/6 says you built a couple of new anchors. Did you set that thing up? Crazy!
    We did not build the anchor at the 90 footer, it was already there. I probably would not have seen that anchor if it wasn't for my partners, it is in such a strange place.

Tony (@Absolute Gravity), made quick work of getting to that crazy anchor. There are two flat-ish footholds on your way up and over to the anchor that make the climb easier than it appears at first glance. His risk of falling was zero. After watching him make the moves, I'm pretty sure I could have done it. It's still a 6/10 difficulty for me, which translates into a 2/10 difficulty for him.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    We did not build the anchor at the 90 footer, it was already there. I probably would not have seen that anchor if it wasn't for my partners, it is in such a strange place.
    Tony (@Absolute Gravity ), made quick work of getting to that crazy anchor. There are two flat-ish footholds on your way up and over to the anchor that make the climb easier than it appears at first glance. His risk of falling was zero. After watching him make the moves, I'm pretty sure I could have done it. It's still a 6/10 difficulty for me, which translates into a 2/10 difficulty for him.
    that is the costricnine spot we were talking about
    where the pin and the bolt was, not the tree one!!!!!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post

Tony (@Absolute Gravity ), made quick work of getting to that crazy anchor. There are two flat-ish footholds on your way up and over to the anchor that make the climb easier than it appears at first glance. His risk of falling was zero. After watching him make the moves, I'm pretty sure I could have done it. It's still a 6/10 difficulty for me, which translates into a 2/10 difficulty for him.
    Nice TR. Good on ya taking the kids out!!!

Tony climb good.

A scary anchor to get to, and it really seems like the crack flares the wrong way, so why does the chockstone stick?

(rhetorical question).

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by hesse15 View Post
    that is the costricnine spot we were talking about
    where the pin and the bolt was, not the tree one!!!!!
    Oh! I thought everyone was talking about the 200 footer.

Still, the 90 footer is not too tough to anchor naturally. My vote is 'not bolt worthy'.

And Tom, I'm also amazed that that chokestone sticks. Must have been quite scary for the first guy that tried it.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

Excellent write up and report! I think we can all relate to getting an earful from the wife!

Nice work. I wouldn't consider Constrichnine a n00b-friendly canyon, you must be a heckuva leader.

Back in June I lost a pocketknife in that canyon at stage two of the (2nd?) rap. It may still be there ~ keep yer eyes peeled, you might score.

Name:  pk.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  364.1 KB
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Bad news RG...

While chatting with another fella about an unrelated matter, I discovered who found your knife. He traded it away before you posted that it was missing.

FWIW, it was found by a nice guy from out of state that would return it to you if he still had it.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Nice work. I wouldn't consider Constrichnine a n00b-friendly canyon, you must be a heckuva leader.

Back in June I lost a pocketknife in that canyon at stage two of the (2nd?) rap. It may still be there ~ keep yer eyes peeled, you might score.

I'm pretty sure my buddy picked it up in September. I'll try to talk him into giving it back. We gained a knife and left a pair of sunglasses. call it a trade
    canyon to the face??? CANYON TO THE FACE!!!!

I don't care if I don't get the knife back. I just hope someone else gets some use out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________
    Ok Rockgremlin....we definitely found your knife in September in constrynchnine. It's now waiting for you in Left Leprechaun. (See Below). Happy hunting.

Name:  DSCN8594.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  124.7 KB
    canyon to the face??? CANYON TO THE FACE!!!!