Thread: Any Beta Upper Echo Canyon?

Any Beta Upper Echo Canyon?

Hey guys I was wondering if there is any beta on upper echo canyon

If there isn't I was wondering if anyone could answer my questions I have after reading Toms Rave.

1. the first rappel is 300 feet ish. so will my 300' rope reach?
    2. you rap onto a ledge then 200'. how big is this ledge? lodge canyon size or Englestead rap station?
    3. I don't think there are but any potholes?
    4. whats the exposure to cold water like? I'm assuming mandatory wet-suits.
    5. time estamite?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by earwig654 View Post
    Hey guys I was wondering if there is any beta on upper echo canyon

If there isn't I was wondering if anyone could answer my questions I have after reading Toms Rave.

1. the first rappel is 300 feet ish. so will my 300' rope reach?
    2. you rap onto a ledge then 200'. how big is this ledge? lodge canyon size or Englestead rap station?
    3. I don't think there are but any potholes?
    4. whats the exposure to cold water like? I'm assuming mandatory wet-suits.
    5. time estamite?
    We used a 600 foot rope.

I ESTIMATED that the first part is 300 feet, and the second part is 200 feet.

I ESTIMATED that it would be reasonable to build an anchor on the ledge with the rocks thereabouts.

The ledge is big.

Only done it when it was dry. It definitely could hold water, which would complicate getting an anchor. Otherwise there is no mandatory exposure to cold water.

The time it takes depends on your competence, so it is hard to make a guess.

Since it is inside the park, you will need a permit. Call it "Lemmon Spring Canyon".

Tom

Cool! thanks for the quick reply Tom.

Related question: I am planning on doing this intermediate variant on your Echo page:

(Variation: It is possible to hike further and enter the canyon further up. There are a couple of nice narrows section, a pool or two and a short rappel or spicy downclimb or two in this section. To my taste the additional canyoneering does not justify the longer walk in the hot sun. But maybe you would enjoy it. Hike the trail until it crosses the main drainage again, then follow the main drainage down.)
    Since we have to start from the top anyway due to the trail closure - why not?

The question is, when you say "short rappels" -- does it still stay in the up to 30' range listed for Echo on your page? I was planning to only bring a very short rope if possible.
    And this start would be just northwest of the "E" in "Echo Canyon Trail" (almost due south of point 6355) on your map, right?

Here is the map for that. (some current problems with that part of the website).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by elenius View Post
    Related question: I am planning on doing this intermediate variant on your Echo page:

Since we have to start from the top anyway due to the trail closure - why not?

The question is, when you say "short rappels" -- does it still stay in the up to 30' range listed for Echo on your page? I was planning to only bring a very short rope if possible.
    And this start would be just northwest of the "E" in "Echo Canyon Trail" (almost due south of point 6355) on your map, right?
    The anchors are not as established, and we did some downclimbs you might not like. Thus, I suggest bringing a bit more rope, and some webbing, rings and canyon savvy.

Tom

I always enter at what Tom notes as the alt. upper entry. On Climb-Utah it is now listed as the main entry. Hitting the upper section is easily worth the extra 5 to 8 minutes of hiking. You get more slot and a pretty sweet semi-keeper pothole. The first 45 seconds of the attached video are all above Tom's entrance and is part of what he skips.

Complete beta for upper entrance here: Echo Canyon

Pic of upper pothole. This can be difficult for a solo canyoneer to exit, depending on skills.

Name:  echo3.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  35.1 KB

And if you already have an Echo permit, I'd just go with that and not mention you were doing the big entrance. Why complicate things?

Thanks Tom & Iceaxe. That's where I thought the other start was. I always bring the savvy, webbing, and QLs ;)

10. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Anyone done Echo lately? Are there any snowfields? I would anticipate none, but haven't been down to Zion in a while.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    Anyone done Echo lately? Are there any snowfields? I would anticipate none, but haven't been down to Zion in a while.

Thanks in advance.
    No snow in middle echo.....just lots and lots of cold water.
    canyon to the face??? CANYON TO THE FACE!!!!

Perfect! Thanks. How were the anchors? There was some discussion a few months back about a failed anchor that's no longer there, and how that requires a longer rope than normal.

So if Lemmon is upper Echo. Is there any good stuff in the canyon labled?
    Name:  echo.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  167.4 KB

That one is Not So Hot:

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/...ent-june-2013/

Other people liked it better than I did.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    That one is Not So Hot:

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/...ent-june-2013/

Other people liked it better than I did.

Tom
    Wasn't my favorite, but was worth going. Maybe it was the company you were with that made it 'not so hot'

17. Likes ratagonia liked this post