Thread: Hayduke trail 2014 Partners

Hayduke trail 2014 Partners

Anyone planning on doing the Hayduke trail in 2014? My normal hiking partner is not interested in an 800 mile desert hike. I do not want to do the hike alone. I do not mind solitude, but 3 months of solitude is a little much for me. A group of 3 or 4 would be perfect. Small enough to go fast, but large enough for safety and entertainment.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by reverse_dyno View Post
    Anyone planning on doing the Hayduke trail in 2014? My normal hiking partner is not interested in an 800 mile desert hike. I do not want to do the hike alone. I do not mind solitude, but 3 months of solitude is a little much for me. A group of 3 or 4 would be perfect. Small enough to go fast, but large enough for safety and entertainment.
    Heya Reverse_Dyno--

I try and do a long hike through southern Utah every spring. I'm not quite sure of my 2014 plans yet, but maybe we will cross paths out there.

My advice would be to talk your buddy into it -- it's so much more than just a 'desert' hike! Also, not sure if you want to be "by the book", but you could save quite a bit of time by skipping the Grand Canyon portion of the Hayduke. To me that always seemed like it should be its own trip.

- Jamal

Right now it looks like the earliest start time would be April 18. I found one other person that wants to hike the trail, but he works at a ski resort, which doesn't shut down until April. The trail normally takes 65-75 days, depending on walking speed. Are you looking to go on a big hike in March walkthetaco?

Yes I'd love to do a longer hike!

Tough hike. Tell me about supplies and pack weight? Resupplies and such.
    TRip report?
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

I ended up not doing it. I do not want to go solo, not so much fun and I couldn't find a good group of people that had the time to do it. A friend I mine bought a trip package from Andrew Skurka. It looks like a nice bundle of maps, route descriptions and logistic info. He plans it out so that you do not need to drop supplies off in the middle of nowhere, like the Hayduke Guidebook suggests.