Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robbers Roost Area 10/18 to 10/20

Robbers Roost Area 10/18 to 10/20

A few of us are headed down to the Robbers Roost area this weekend for some canyoneering. If you are interested, let me know.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I would like to join. Where will u meet? Which canyons might u do? Any special requirements? Have done a few down there b4.

Where will u meet?

Probably Granary Springs because it is easy to find.

Which canyons might u do?
    It sounds like Anya wants something pretty dry, so we may skip canyons such as Alcatraz which are said to be wet now.

Possibly the East Fork Bluejohn (should have one deep pool, the the rest of the canyon seems to be fairly dry most of the time. Maybe White Roost, North Fork Robbers Roost, or Buck Canyon? I've done all those except for Buck, which is why it might be nice to do that one.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

It'd be cool to do some lesser known ones as well, like the Little East Fork of Pasture or the West Fork of Bull. Those are both close to White Roost and Buck. I just did Big Bad Ben and Little Bull about a week ago. BBB had full on swimmers but Little Bull was bone dry.

I'd be up for anything. I made the above suggestion thinking they would be fairly dry except for the pool in East Fork Bluejohn (Anya wanted mostly dry). I haven't done Buck, but heard it usually doesn't hold much water.

I haven't done Little East Fork Pasture or West Fork Bull. East Fork Pasture tends to hold mud and water, but maybe the Little East Fork doesn't?

I also have an unbetaed canyon, that I scouted out in February 2000, and is almost certainly really good, but it could be a long day, so I don't know if it would be good for late October. It's been on the list for years, but I still haven't done it.

If invited I would also prefer dry or drier canyons. Am in Moab right now and it is supposed to hit 32 degrees tonight near the river.
    The time I did the East Fork of Blue John it was quite wet from the confluence with the Squeeze for about a quarter of a mile down stream although it wasn't swimming. But there was no let up. You had to stay in the water. That was not during a particularly wet time of year. My buddy sent me pics from High Spur (NE fork of the Spur) and there was a swimmer in there that I never saw when I have done it. So I am not sure what is dry right now?
    So you will meet at Motel 6 (Granary Springs)? When do you anticipate arriving?

Two of us are wanting to join your group this weekend, wondering if you are doing canyons Friday as well, what time will you be meeting and will you be camping at Granary Springs or trailheads? We have been wanting to do more in this area, your choices sound good and we would also like to stay semi-dry.

It'd be cool to do some lesser known ones as well, like the Little East Fork of Pasture or the West Fork of Bull. Those are both close to White Roost and Buck. I just did Big Bad Ben and Little Bull about a week ago. BBB had full on swimmers but Little Bull was bone dry.
    PS, are you guys mostly interested in the stuff around White Roost/Buck?

I only suggested meeting at Granary Springs because it would be easy to find, but if you and Anya are mostly interested in the White Roost/Pasture/Bull/Buck area we could camp around there instead, though I don't know of the best meeting place.

If not granary springs, we'll have to decide quick!

Two of us are wanting to join your group this weekend, wondering if you are doing canyons Friday as well
    I won't be, but maybe the others?

Yes, we are definitely interested in the white roost/pasture/buck/bull, I'm sure there would be a closer place to camp, what do you suggest , perhaps at head of white roost canyon as indicated in kelsey's roost book map #14, p 77 campsite & car park pt 1585 at mile 9.3.

Quote Originally Posted by chazcanyon View Post
    Yes, we are definitely interested in the white roost/pasture/buck/bull, I'm sure there would be a closer place to camp, what do you suggest , perhaps at head of white roost canyon as indicated in kelsey's roost book map #14, p 77 campsite & car park pt 1585 at mile 9.3.
    Are you coming from the salt lake area? Maybe we could car pool?

Sorry, we are coming from Colorado.

It's page 83 in the 2nd edition. So where are you guys going to meet? At point 1585?
    Could have done something tomorrow I guess it is too late now.

I am unable to get a hold of Anya. Qedcook, have you had any contact?

Maybe we should meet at Granary Springs tomorrow night.

No, I haven't heard from her yet. We could meet at the turnoff to the white roost area near the farm house on the top of Texas Hill. Or I also liked chazcanyon's idea of meeting at the trailhead to the white roost canyons. there's a nice camping area there.

I think it's too late to meet at White Roost. Other people who have already left are meeting at Granary Springs and I never was able to contact Anya.

How did the trip go? Any updates on water and such in the Roost Area canyons? Headed out that way on Friday. Any conditions update would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Shooter

We did East Fork/West Fork loop of Bluejohn and Buck Canyon.

East Fork Bluejohn was quite wet and had several pools; one of them ~700 feet long. The adults could wade; the kids had to swim much of it.

Buck Canyon only had mud and no wading. If you haven't done that one, it has some nice sections, and is pretty, but some of the other canyons in the area are better. I'd suggest doing other canyons in the area first.

How long did it take you all to do Buck Canyon?

About 5 hours, but we also explored a side drainage for a while.

21. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Looked at ur summit post description 4 temple mt. It has maps 4 the roads but not the climb. Do u have a map?
    There is another Patterson in Kelsey's books. Richard. Any relationship? How do I contact u outside of boogley or at least outside of this forum thread?