Thread: 16 yo Canyoneer

16 yo Canyoneer

Im 16 yo and I mostly do canyons with my dad. We are both hooked for sure and have been doing this for a couple years now and still seek to progress and get better. Its seems that nobody my age has even heard of it before. But then again I do live in California. So Im curious is there anybody my age that just loves canyoneering?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Mountain Man
    They're around. But I don't notice a huge number of teens in my experience. I've introduced all my younger cousins, girls in this case, and several other youngins. Why not invite friends along. Not that their parents would allow it, but man, what a great way to bond with friends. The intensity of canyoneering and the camaraderie from sharing it are powerful. It's up to you to get more your age involved. Where have you been so far?

Quote Originally Posted by boryaa View Post
    Im 16 yo and I mostly do canyons with my dad. We are both hooked for sure and have been doing this for a couple years now and still seek to progress and get better. Its seems that nobody my age has even heard of it before. But then again I do live in California. So Im curious is there anybody my age that just loves canyoneering?
    Descended a canyon with a 16 year old and his dad yesterday. They are an awesome team and a wealth of knowledge! Not sure how long the two have been canyoneering, but I suspect for quite a while. It has become a family activity fit them. It reminded my of the hunting outings my dad took me on growing up. Great way to build relationships. They live in Utah so running into them may not happen easily, however, maybe they will see this thread and respond.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Both my daughter's canyoneer, ages 15 & 17. They average about 20 canyons a year and have been descending technical canyons since they were 5 years old.

I know a lot of teenages that are canyoneers but many do it as part of a family weekend or were at least intrduced to the sport through their parents.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

I wish I had been introduced to canyoneering at 16. I would have stayed a lot fitter & healthier and my parents would not have been forced to pay for so many of my youthful indiscretions, and in turn I'd be a lot richer now.

Go for it, boryaa, and enjoy the outdoors as best you can.

We take about 3 - 4 weeklong trips to Utah throughout the year. We've done quite a few canyons in the Robbers Roost area (we're going there again in November) and lots in Zion National Park. And we average about 15 + canyons a year.

Quote Originally Posted by boryaa View Post
    Yup - not a lot going on in California compared to Utah. Although Bad and Coffin canyons in Death Valley are worth a look. There are some river routes in the Sierras, but granite is sooo hard to drill a bolt into by hand.

My kids participate in canyoneering regularly. Plan on a few canyons this weekend. Moab or bust.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk now Free

Quote Originally Posted by pikan View Post
    Descended a canyon with a 16 year old and his dad yesterday. They are an awesome team and a wealth of knowledge! Not sure how long the two have been canyoneering, but I suspect for quite a while. It has become a family activity fit them. It reminded my of the hunting outings my dad took me on growing up. Great way to build relationships. They live in Utah so running into them may not happen easily, however, maybe they will see this thread and respond.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    About 3 years...:)

We had an absolute blast Saturday. Would do another with you anytime.