Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canyoneering a sport?

Canyoneering a sport?

Just outa curiosity. Do you guys consider canyoneering a legit sport? Personally, as a canyoneer and climber myself I see it being somewhat close to rock-climbing. But what do you guys think?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Canyoneering a sport?

No. At least not for me. It's more of an activity or persuit. For many, it's a life style.

I cringe when someone refers to it specifically as an action or adrenaline sport, or even worse, EXTREME sport.

4. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    I think of it as a sport, at least to some degree. I definitely think of it as being different from rock climbing, though I enjoy both. I think the main difference is that in rock climbing you are going up and in canyoneering you are going down. Also, I think a lot of the moves in canyoneering are different from climbing. Being good at climbing can help, but it's not everything.
    --Cliff

I have always considered canyoneering and mountaineering to be very similar in terms of sport. YMMV

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

If you set a bolt or a piton, its construction, and should be permitted, and is no longer a sport, IMO. That said, I really like canyoneering.

My kids think hiking with ropes if alot funner then just hiking. More of an adventure then a sport.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk now Free

I think of it more as a "pursuit" or "activity" but not a "sport". The difference may be subtle, or may be semantics...

Depends on how ya define "sport." My dictionary has it as "to amuse oneself, frolic...a source of diversion, recreation..." By that definition I'd say Yes, it's a sport.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
    If you set a bolt or a piton, its construction, and should be permitted, and is no longer a sport, IMO. That said, I really like canyoneering.

Quote Originally Posted by boryaa View Post
    Just outa curiosity. Do you guys consider canyoneering a legit sport? Personally, as a canyoneer and climber myself I see it being somewhat close to rock-climbing. But what do you guys think?
    What do you think? And what does it matter? Far as I know there are no canyoneering competitions. Is hiking or mountaineering a sport? I would put canyoneering in the same catergory. I wouldn't group it with rock climbing, unless you are talking trad climbing and not sport climbing.

I think of canyoneering as a fun way to teach my friends how to tie overhand knots.

It's also a fun way to fool my wife into thinking that she made a wise choice by selecting me as a mate... like she seems to believe every time I slide down a long rope and survive.

But no, canyoneering is not a sport. That would involve competition.

One could argue that this forum is a sport however...
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

14. Likes ratagonia, pikan liked this post
    I have a brother-in-law who defines sport as those activities requiring a defense. I don't particularly agree with that perspective, but it does help me think about things in a new way.

Defense required would eliminate a lot of sports.... including about 90% of all Olympic Sports....

Defense required might better define a game....

YMMV

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Well I personally believe it is a sport. You do it because you love to, and if you take it seriously like I do than its much more than an activity.

There's some of the new arrivals to the Olympics I wouldn't call a sport. Synchronized anything, rhythmic gymnastics...

Physical difficulty alone does not a sport make imho.

Quote Originally Posted by boryaa View Post
    Well I personally believe it is a sport. You do it because you love to, and if you take it seriously like I do than its much more than an activity.
    According to the Oxford Dictionary it is NOT a sport: noun

• 1. an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment:

20. Likes Felicia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mzamp View Post

• 1. an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment:
    Not disagreeing, but one could argue about the competition part of canyoneering!

22. Likes mzamp liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by pikan View Post
    Not disagreeing, but one could argue about the competition part of canyoneering!
    Then I see it as a sport.. I'm competing with other local canyoneers, on who can bag the first descents and give ridiculous canyon names.

During our canyons, we also have guava wars. So maybe Utah canyoneering isn't a sport.... but Hawaii canyoneering is

24. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mzamp View Post

You didn't provide the complete quote from the Oxford Dictionary....

[mass noun, usually with adjective] success or pleasure derived from an activity such as hunting or fishing:

There is a lot more: http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/sport

It's a sport - Wikipedia says so!

"Canyons can be very easy or extremely difficult, though emphasis in the sport is usually on aesthetics and fun rather than pure difficulty."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canyoneering

Felicia
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden