Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best of North Wash

Best of North Wash

So, having been all over Utah, and having done many canyons, it's time I get down to the North Wash to see what it's all about. I've got an old climbing buddy coming to town and then he is driving on to New Mexico. He's been stuck back east in school for a couple years and hasn't had a lot of playtime in redrock country recently. The idea being that I'd like to make it worth the while fir a one night, one day trip. I figured for dry canyons, the north wash should give us some pretty good bang-for-our-buck. With easy access, short approaches, and good scenery, it seems to fit the bill. I am worried about crowds though...

In your opinions, what are the best canyons in the NW? I'm toying with the idea of Sandthrax.
    Short of that, what are some good technical options for an ambitious group? We will be a group of 4 strong climbers, 2 of us with considerable canyon experience, with sound skills and experience. We are looking to do 2, maybe 3 canyons in one day.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Shenanigans and out one of the leps is a blast, shouldn't take too long with a strong fast group either. Depending on your speed/start time you should be able to add in a third or fourth canyon as well.

+1 on Shenanigans. And Sandthrax is pretty doable for a group like yours. Make sure that's your last canyon though because you'll feel thrashed afterwards.
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

Hard day Harvey was a blast for me and the other climber in our group. The other four (experienced canyoneers) in or group were challenged by it. I highly recommend it.

Hogs 1-4 or some portion thereof would be good. Never seen another soul in those slots, though they do get done more frequently these days. STill not nearly as pop as the leps, shennany, etc.

Ok, so here's what I'm thinking: Shenanigans first, middle or right Lep second (which is better?) and then depending on time and energy level, we'll consider Sandthrax. I know the days are short lately but if we get an early start, is this plan feasible? Btw, I've only got 1 #5 camalot.

middle or right Lep second (which is better?)
    Define "better". Although close together they are very different from each other and which one is better depends on what you are looking for. Middle is tighter and more challenging. It is one of the longest sustained slots around. East is pretty and more laid back. It probably has more water.

Both are worth doing.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    Ok, so here's what I'm thinking: Shenanigans first, middle or right Lep second (which is better?) and then depending on time and energy level, we'll consider Sandthrax. I know the days are short lately but if we get an early start, is this plan feasible? Btw, I've only got 1 #5 camalot.
    Middle Lep is the best of the 3 forks...if you're looking for challenge and physicality. Ditto to what Scott said above.

I guess you read the TR/AR that was posted earlier this year about the 1-camalot team...?

Quote Originally Posted by xxnitsuaxx View Post
    +1 on Shenanigans. And Sandthrax is pretty doable for a group like yours. Make sure that's your last canyon though because you'll feel thrashed afterwards.
    Sandthrax on the heels of Shananny and Middle Lep? A Herculean itinerary, for sure. Everyone in the party should have excellent judgment and self-awareness -- especially of their remaining mental and physical capacity -- before dropping into Sandthrax. It is considerably more difficult and draining than the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    I guess you read the TR/AR that was posted earlier this year about the 1-camalot team...?
    There are only two reasons NOT to bring ALL of the recommended cams: extreme laziness or extreme poverty.

Tyler (who fell) still has flashbacks of the fall when he closes his eyes. He had nightmares for weeks. He could have died. Bring all of the recommended cams if you go.

The Shenany/Lep combo will be a hearty and rewarding combo platter. It will take you a little extra time, since it is your first time through. It will fill your day. Doing Sandthrax after those two canyons (the same day) is nutty and unrealistic. Being less than 100% mentally or physically in that canyon seems like a death wish.

You only have one day out there? Sandthrax then Middle Lep would be a pretty good combo too...
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Ok, so here's what I'm thinking: Shenanigans first, middle or right Lep second (which is better?) and then depending on time and energy level, we'll consider Sandthrax.
    Totally man, if there's a full moon you could prollly get in all 4 Hogs after Sandthrax.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    Btw, I've only got 1 #5 camalot.
    Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    1 #5 in Sandtrax will be pretty worthless. As you can read above, 1 #6 was not enough if you are going to climb the crux. You're welcome to borrow my #6 if you'd like but you will probably want a big bro too. Stemming over the top is also an option, and probably the one I'd take if I were to do it again. I would not do it following Shenanigans and Middle Lep, especially with the short days.

This video explains the stem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwyworAQk88

Quote Originally Posted by Absolute Gravity View Post
    I would not do it following Shenanigans and Middle Lep, especially with the short days.
    This came out wrong. I would not do all three, but would do Sandthrax as the first canyon of the day and then follow it up with Middle Lep.

15. Likes hank moon liked this post
    Stemming over the top is also an option, and probably the one I'd take if I were to do it again.
    Disclaimer for those playing along at home:

Absolute Gravity is very talented at stemming, probably top 5% of all canyoneers. 6 feet tall, 6'4" arm span, he makes the very difficult look very easy.

THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

This came out wrong. I would not do all three, but would do Sandthrax as the first canyon of the day and then follow it up with Middle Lep.
    X2 (except I'd have to train for weeks to be able to do both of them in a day - prolly not ever gonna happen).

Saving Sandthrax for last virtually guarantees that you either won't drop in, or won't make it through. Doing it first is a bit dicey if you've never done super-skinny, N. Washy kinda slots. Ok, maybe that's enough pontification for a day.

Attachment 69987

18. Likes Absolute Gravity liked this post
    I would recommend taking the climbing gear no matter what. If you like the stem, do it, if you don't then you still have the option to do the climb.

Hmm... Not that I'm concerned about our abilities but maybe for my friends sake, we'll 'thrax it another day.

I would recommend taking the climbing gear no matter what. If you like the stem, do it, if you don't then you still have the option to do the climb.
    I really enjoy hard stemming but I'm only 5'9" and my arm span is certainly no more.

I'm just looking for a full day without regretting biting off more than we can chew.

Me, @Slot Machine, and @MiCamp did Razorback and Middle Lep last Saturday and had an absolute blast. We started ML at 3:30 and made it out by 7:00, just before it got dark but we were moving pretty quick. You will want to start before then. There was also a very very cold swimmer at the very end of it, but it was totally worth it.

23. Likes MiCamp, Slot Machine liked this post

Best of North Wash

Well, I'm back.

Let's just say that Shenanigans in the mud with 2 full swimmers and no wetsuits was more than enough for some in our group...cold. We took the Kelsey exit to near the top of Lep, and some in the group said that they'd rather just walk up to the car at the top of shenanigans than descend leprechaun to our other car. So we bailed. Oh well.

The Sandthrax camp was nice enough, albeit FULL of noisy, inconsiderate people (and their dogs) who like to hear themselves talk till 1a.m.

One lady, not of our group, showed up late and proceeded to double park us for no apparent reason. Mind you there was no shortage of parking space in the whole area. Why she decided to crowd us in our obscure corner is beyond me. She would end up sleeping between our cars 10' from my friends tent. Weird... Anyway, She then proceeded to walk across the camp to find her group. She shrieked and carried on when she found her group and much loud laughter ensued. I could overhear their "conversation" from 50 yards away in my tent. The group she joined consisted of 3 non talkers and one guy who did more than enough talking for all of them combined and boasted about the " pothole escape clinics" that he teaches. Whatever... They got to talking about flash floods in the area and the lady mentioned that she was among the group that was caught in the mayhem down there a few weeks ago and had posted the video that has received so much scrutiny in another thread on here. she laughed about it like it was no big deal. Meet-up groups....

I think I'll steer clear of the north wash on October weekends in the future. Not my scene.