Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Mead property owners forced out until shutdown ends

Lake Mead property owners forced out until shutdown ends

Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- The government shutdown is being felt close to home for some locals. They say they're being forced out of private homes on Lake Mead because they sit on federal land.

Joyce Spencer is 77-years-old and her husband Ralph is 80. They've been spending most of their time in the family ice cream store since going home isn't an option.

The Spencers never expected to be forced out of their Lake Mead home, which they've owned since the 70s, but on Thursday, a park ranger said they had 24 hours to get out.

"I had to go to town today and buy Ralph undershirts and jeans because I forgot his pants," Joyce Spencer told Action News.

The Stewart's Point home sits on federal land, so even though the Spencers own their cabin outright, they're not allowed in until the government reopens.

Park officials said property owners can visit only to retrieve belongings; they sent Action News a statement which reads in part, "Unfortunately overnight stays are not permitted until a budget is passed and the park can reopen."

Joyce Spencer said she's alright in the meantime, staying with nearby family, but the move was a lot to handle as a senior citizen.

"I had to be sure and get his walker and his scooter that he has to go in," Spencer said. "We're not hurt in any way except it might cost me if I have to go buy more pants."

The Lake Mead properties are considered vacation homes; one of the lease requirements to own a plot is people must have an alternative residence.

Regardless, the Spencers said it's their property and they should be allowed in, shutdown or not.

Source: http://www.ktnv.com/news/local/Lake-....html?lc=Smart

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Gotta love the prez

prez my ass. its the tea party jack asses like Mike Lee

5. Likes Absolute Gravity, cchoc, deagol liked this post
    So the pot says to the kettle.....

Name:  irony.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  48.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    Gotta love the prez
    You seem confused about who controls the funding for the park system.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

Quote Originally Posted by cchoc View Post
    You seem to be confused on who shut the NPS down... they will get paid, this is now just a paid vacation for most federal workers which I find silly. YMMV....

9. Likes Bwbrent, JP liked this post
    Congress shut the parks down by not passing a continuing resolution to fund the government.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/us...anted=all&_r=0

Ask the rangers and other furloughed workers who have to make their house and car payments with no salary how they like their paid vacations.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

11. Likes Absolute Gravity liked this post
    Congress shut the parks down by not passing a continuing resolution to fund the government.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/us...anted=all&_r=0

Ask the rangers and other furloughed workers who have to make their house and car payments with no salary how they like their paid vacations.
    Good for congress. If there isn't money then there isn't any money. We can't just keep raising our debt limit to pay for things we can't afford and since our president (and I use the term loosely) takes a dictator approach to politics, what other option do they have to stop his steamrolling of our constitution? The money should be held for ransom until the ACA is vetted and fully understood. National health care is a novel idea and one that could be implemented and would accomplish the goal however, the administration of this plan is a disaster. The Obamacare law is almost three thousand pages of law plus tens of thousands more of confusing, verbose governmentese regulations. It CANNOT be controlled once it goes into full effect and will bankrupt this country (even more so than it already is).
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

We need to borrow money to pay off the interest on our Iraq war debt and the Bush tax cuts. Talk about the elephant in the room. And, of course, there are some elected officials who thing default is a good thing.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

What about the Obama wars? His war debt? The guy that ran on an anti-war platform then turned out to be just as much as a war monger as the rest of them. The 20,000+airstrikes in his first term? His war on Libya WITHOUT congressional approval? His presence in Iraq afer "ending" the war? His escalated war in Afghanistan? Sold weapons to Syria Terrorists and Saudi Arabia. Dropped bombs in 6 countries vs Bushes 4? He's is doing the exact same things Bush did but now not a peep from the libtards and yet you guys keep going back and talking about bush's actions 5 years ago. Meanwhile he is single handily going about the largest drone/spying program imaginable with millions of our record being kept for no reason whatsoever.

Oh and I almost forget, if you ever want a good read about Obamacare look up Fowler and her role/lobbying for Wellpoint (the nations largest insurance co lobbing group) and how that played out in her drafting of the bill and the revolving door between Wellpoint and the health insurance lobbyists for the bill. What a coup, force every citizen to buy your product. Genius. Guess who Obama chose to oversee implementation of the health bill......Fowler. Now she's at Johnson & Johnson (one of the largest and most aggressive supporters of the bill) as a senior executive. The ACA is about benefiting the big pharmaceutical companies and not at all about providing health care for the poor. It's the same thing you libtards are always accusing the republicans of doing, catering to big corporations, and yet here it is from the dems.

I don't consider myself a republican or a democrat, I think they're all the same. Either party will cater to corporations and corporatism is the true government regardless of election outcomes.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

15. Likes JP liked this post
    We need to borrow money to pay off the interest on our Iraq war debt and the Bush tax cuts. Talk about the elephant in the room.
    It's so cute when folks have no clue how our government (or any government) actually operates.

Our government's finances are not like yours or mine. The government really has no debt because they have the ability to print whatever money they actually require. Our government will never actually run out of money so long as greenbacks are the safest place in the world to store wealth.

17. Likes JP liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    It's so cute when folks have no clue how our government (or any government) actually operates.

Our government's finances are not like yours or mine. The government really has no debt because they have the ability to print whatever money they actually require. Our government will never actually run out of money so long as greenbacks are the safest place in the world to store wealth.

Hilarious. You guys crack me up.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    What about the Obama wars? His war debt? The guy that ran on an anti-war platform then turned out to be just as much as a war monger as the rest of them.
    You left out the part about Obama arming the Mexican drug cartels with automatic weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwbrent View Post
    prez my ass. its the tea party jack asses like Mike Lee
    The Tea Party has absolutely nothing to do with what is shut down and what remains open. Your genius pick for President has that ultimate say.

^^^^^^

You guys should all run for congress. You sound just like congressmen already.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

You seem confused on who has the final decisions on what stays funded and what doesn't. Gee, why did the Amber Alert system go back online? Because even your Messiah realized what a mistake he made.

You seem confused on who has the final decisions on what stays funded and what doesn't. Gee, why did the Amber Alert system go back online? Because even your Messiah realized what a mistake he made.
    The amber alert system was never shut down, only the government website. You don't just seem confused, apparently.

"The Amber Alert system is fully functional during the government shutdown, a Justice Department offical told BuzzFeed Monday, despite the shuttering of Justice website AmberAlert.gov.Questions about the service were raised over the weekend after reporters noticed the Justice Department site was down. The site is used to describe the federal funding for the Amber Alert program, according to the Justice Department, and its shuttering does not mean the federal participation in the program itself has been affected by the partial closure of the federal government.
    “Amber alerts are uninterrupted. They get issued by states and counties, which do notifications to media, on Twitter, highway signs, etc,” the Justice Department officials said. “The .gov site is informational, not the law enforcement tool.”"
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

The Tea Party has absolutely nothing to do with what is shut down and what remains open. Your genius pick for President has that ultimate say.
    http://www.gao.gov/legal/lawresource...ackground.html

I should have been more clear, it's the tea party members who have gotten themselves elected who have a big say in the funding appropriations. Then each agency decides what is and isn't essential. But, since Rush isn't explaining it to you I doubt this will have any effect.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

who have a big say in the funding appropriations.
    Then each agency decides what is and isn't essential. But, since Rush isn't explaining it to you I doubt this will have any effect.
    The House is responsible for monies. The head of each agency and the president. The president has the final say in where the money flows. I don't listen to Rush, nice try Name:  th.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  14.1 KB

And I know you love the but just because the DOJ said it's up and running, after the fact, doesn't mean it wasn't shut down. Keep the Kool-Aid.

The pres can override department heads on what is deemed essential, but he shouldn't have to. And believe what you like about the amber alert system.

Your insults, though, are pretty weak. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light