Thread: Road To High Spur (Gov. Closed)

Road To High Spur (Gov. Closed)

Hey All,

3 of us are headed out to The Roost Thursday--Sunday (10/10--10/13). The itinerary includes a visit to the High Spur area. I see that the road out there goes past the Maze Ranger station and runs along park land for a while. Do you think we'll run into any road closure issues with the government shutdown (we've never been through that area before)?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I doubt road closure will be an issue. There is no real way to close the road (no gates). And the government is not supposed to close required through roads (that's why highway 9 through Zion is still open). If they closed the Spur Road there would be no way the ranchers could tend their cattle. But this entire park shutdown is bull crap to begin with so who knows.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3 now Free

I agree with Iceaxe, I don't think they can really close the road. However, I was in the area the last two days and took this photo at the turnoff from Highway 24 toward Hans Flat:

And this was on the road near Hite that goes toward the Flint Trail and eventually to Hans Flat:

I haven't heard much about the BLM closing anything (except areas that normally require permits), but there was a sign at the Little Wild Horse Canyon trailhead saying that the area was closed. A lot of people (myself included) hiked there anyway.

I really think you'd be ok, but that's an awful long way to drive only to be turned back.
    Blog | FB