Thread: Lower Eardley - aka "Boulders 'R' Us" October 2013

Lower Eardley - aka "Boulders 'R' Us" October 2013

Ended up being just knee height here...ha ha

Our weekend plans got mixed up a bit, so a closer canyon was in order. We got a 4 am start, and still made it back home that same evening. Sweet.

Boulders abound

Funny face

If you like boulders: hopping, scrambling, climbing, sliding...then Eardley is for you!

Name:  DSC06489.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  64.3 KB

It is over a mile hike to the base of the canyon (more boulders). Then a steep hike up the reef (in between boulders).

Just before the technical section

Once you get to the top (after about 2 hours from the trail head), you must descend a very treacherous steep gulley (ball bearing rocks, rocks, small boulders, and big boulders). It reminded me why I don't like Mystery canyon as much as other Zion canyons. Loosing elevation to a death chute is not only discouraging, it keeps you on your toes. Literally. Stay close, and keep your helmets on for this ride. If you are careful, the most damage you'll get is beat up toes and knees.

Whew! After the gulley of death, you finally arrive in Lower Eardley.

However, you are not done yet. You must hike quite a ways...(and yes, more boulders), until you get to the slot section. The last ~1/3 mile is where things get interesting, and wetsuits are welcome. The drops were easy, which always led to water. Each anchor needed a bit of work. Some we fully repaired, others were carefully used.

Name:  DSC06504.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  89.8 KB
    Another swimmer!

Very cold, and swimming throughout. Brrrrr. We were glad to get into dry clothes before returning back to the trail head.

Tyler contemplating the next move. Cold water again?

Great day. About 6 hours in all. Definitely one to experience, as the last section is charming. Would I do it again? Hmmm...ask me next year. ;-)

2. Likes Sandstone Addiction, Taylor liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    Our weekend plans got mixed up a bit, so a closer canyon was in order. We got a 4 am start, and still made it back home that same evening. Sweet.

Well put. Looks like a great time! Getting there and back in a day is VERY impressive.

Nice report Mark!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

5. Likes Mountaineer liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Fun to get it when full of water.

Tom

7. Likes Mountaineer liked this post
    Great report. Good pics. I took my wife and 11-year-old through Eardley in August. Didn't need wet suits that time of year. I'd definitely do it again.

9. Likes Mountaineer liked this post