Thread: Razorback Canyon (Hog 3)

Razorback Canyon (Hog 3)

On October 5th, 2013, Tony (@Absolute Gravity ), Micah (@MiCamp ) and I took a lap through Razorback Canyon.

It's a great slot with extremely grippy walls; a great place to practice downclimbing and high-stemming. Is the hike in/out worth it? Yes. Even though this slot is short, it falls into the category of 'classic'. The high-stemming right hand turns are unique and hair-raising!

Bob

Tony and Micah, far off the deck.
    Name:  P1010354.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  175.1 KB

One of many downclimbs.

Name:  P1010362.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  124.8 KB

Tony starting the awkward final rappel. Aggressive fireman belay provided below.
    Name:  P1010368.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  152.9 KB
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Nice... and nice pics.

Tom

4. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Great job. Looks like it has some careful moves in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    Great job. Looks like it has some careful moves in there.
    Thanks Mark!

It's funny, all the moves looked scary to me. I rapped down the first 40 foot drop and declared it a downclimb for Tony and Micah (they are both FAR more skilled at downclimbing than me). Micah rapped it to be safe. Tony started to rap it, started laughing at how easy it was, noticed the rope was sort of stuck, then went back up and got it.

There are two really cool features in the canyon: As you head downcanyon, there is an abrupt turn to the left, then an immediate turn to the right. This zig-zag must be negotiated 20 feet off the deck. After stemming dowcanyon for a bit, it happens again. Very fun and unusual.

The pebbles poking out of the walls provide outstanding grip for both hands and feet, making the zig-zags seem easy. They just don't look easy at first glance. We were all happy to wear long sleeves and long pants in there.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

7. Likes Sandstone Addiction, Mountaineer liked this post
    Awesome! Looks like a lot of fun for sure. Thanks for the detailed photos and description.

9. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Wow! Cool canyon and nice TR. Looks like I have another canyon to add to my list!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

11. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Sweet.. Definitely a fun canyon.

13. Likes Slot Machine liked this post