Thread: Police Officer Dad asked not to drop daughter off

Police Officer Dad asked not to drop daughter off

10/3/13 - The image of a uniformed police officer dropping off his daughter at her elementary school was apparently too scary of an image for some parents in Mesa, Ariz. It's not his uniform that is making them uncomfortable, it's the gun holstered on his hip. The principal at Entz Elementary School has reportedly asked the father not to wear his police uniform on campus ever again because parents are concerned that he carries a firearm.

Now, "a lot of people" are "shocked and upset" over the decision, KSAZ-TV reports.

The officer, Scott Urkov of the Coolidge Police Department, only dropped his daughter off at her school.

Officer Urkov wasn't too happy about the decision either. He reportedly posted the following message on Facebook after the incident:

"Nothing like your kids school calling and asking if I could not come to pick up my daughter in uniform cause parents were concerned when their kids came home telling them there was a man at school with a gun. Are you freaking kidding me?"

However, Urkov told KSAZ-TV that he has been advised not to talk about the incident any more and "just let it be." Helen Hollands, spokesperson for Mesa Unified School District, confirmed that there were "some parents who were concerned about that fact that there was a fully armed officer on campus and they spoke to the principal about it."

The school district apologized if the cop "took the discussion the wrong way."

"[T]hat was not the intent of the principal to offend him," Hollands added.

"Meanwhile, while school officials' initial reaction was to ask the officer not to wear his gun and uniform to school, they are now saying they want to turn this incident into 'a teachable moment,'" KSAZ-TV reports. "They invited the officer to a special assembly to talk about what police officers do for the community."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

What a bunch of paper asses. Judas Priest! He's a cop you phobic pussies!

The sight of a cop carrying a firearm nauseates you, and makes you uncomfortable? What in the hell is wrong with these peoples' brains? How brain damaged do you have to be to upset at the sight of a public service employee ready to stop a bad guy at a moments notice when some psycho like Adam Lanza starts shooting kids at YOUR child's school?

God bless America

4. Likes Byron, Taylor liked this post
    You gotta be kidding me...

I get shocked and nauseated at the sight of cops too...though mostly when they're in my rear view mirror.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

7. Likes DiscGo, jman, Byron liked this post
    "they are now saying they want to turn this incident into 'a teachable moment,'" KSAZ-TV reports. "They invited the officer to a special assembly to talk about what police officers do for the community."
    I think this solution is a good one. It could be used as a teaching moment. The above is what should have been done in the first place.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

On that special assembly day, there will be LOTS of kids who are "Absent" that day. My kids would be there, and would enjoy some time at the shooting range with the cop as well!

I would LOVE to see more cops with guns in gun free zones!!!!!!

the next move is to request law enforcement armed with wooden spoons to remove the threat

11. Likes blueeyes, rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    the next move is to request law enforcement armed with wooden spoons to remove the threat
    Nah, they just need to ask nicely! That should take care of it ... Amazing how people will complain about a lack of protection by the government and simultaneously complain about the people trying to protect them.

Guns are bad and they go off all by themselves. They shouldn't be near schools with kids being indoctrinated within.

My guns must all be defective. They have never shot anyone.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

15. Likes DiscGo, rockgremlin, REDFOX liked this post