Thread: Fun and first snows in Yosemite 9.20.13

Fun and first snows in Yosemite 9.20.13

After spending 5 days in Yosemite a few years back I finally planned a trip up to climb the class 4 route up Cathedral Peak. My buddy Patrick agreed to join me on this adventure. We drove up to the park and got our campsite in Tuolumne Meadows and then headed down to the valley as Patrick had never been here before.

View from Tunnel View.

It dropped into the mid 20s overnight but it was nice and warm in the tent. Got to love car camping! The next morning we headed out

All week we had been checking the weather reports and when we left it was 20% chance of rain/snow with a snow level of about 9,000ft. When we left the car in the morning it was clear and beautiful. After about 2 miles we went off trail and headed up Cathedral Peak. Once out of the tree line we could see the storm a brewing.

The clouds didn't show signs of precipitation yet, so we continued up. The winds were starting to pick up and it was below freezing.

I chose to slap the helmet on due to rock fall potential, and I like my brain.

Some more perty landscapes.

View of the peak

Some bushwhacking was needed.

We are now pretty close, winds are getting strong, knocking us off our balance. Eichorn pinnacle was beautiful. If we had the time we brought the gear to climb this as well.

Climbed over the ridge line and took this shot of the southeast side. Lots of clouds. No precipitation as of yet.

We got to about 100ft vertically from the summit. We encountered 50-60mph sustained winds. The decision was made that since we didn't know how to fly we should head back down.

Lots of fun class 2/3 slabs.

As we started making our way down it began to hail. The occasional thunder clap was also heard. Loving the weather as living in Temecula all I get is heat and more heat. We eventually made it back to the campsite where the hail was now snow.

Snowed about 3" overnight and read 18degF on the thermometer in the morning.

We made breakfast, packed up camp and started heading out. We got stopped by a group, about 10, rangers that notified us that hwy 120 was closed in both directions due to ice and wouldn't open for at least 5 hours.
    So we spent some time hiking along the road.

Lembert Dome

The meadows

Cathedral Peak now with snow.

The moon

After hiking to the visitors center and warming up by the fire, I bought my 5 year old son the book "Who Pooped in the Park" a guide to scat and tracking. We headed back

The 120 finally opened up about 11:30am and we headed back home. A great trip indeed. First snows of the season.

Full photo album can be found on my personal website.
    http://www.drunkreddragon.com/images...eak/index.html
    Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement