Thread: The Great White Icicle

The Great White Icicle

On 20 July 2013 Natalie, Carrie, Ryan and myself did the canyoneering route of The Great White Icicle, Little Cottonwood Canyon.

I thought it was pretty neat to do something so close to home for a change. The day was pretty simple... Wake up, small hike, rap, rap ,rap and off to lunch and back home. This is definitely an adventure to save for a very hot day if going without an exposure suit, that water is pretty cold. Also, we started pretty early so we didn't get baked in the sun towards the end. I'd recommend bringing a rain jacket and fleece even on the hottest days for colder members in the group.

This adventure is suitable for small groups only, or larger groups that have independent leadership and hardware. Reason being is that the anchor stations are very small and it can feel crowded even with small amounts of people. I've been twice now, this time with four total and another time with only three and was glad to have only a small group. Communication can also be difficult at times between persons below and above because of the noise of the falls. Two-way radios might be something to consider.

Years ago there used to be a bridge to cross LCW creek in this area but it washed away in floods past. So first step is to get across the creek and find the trail on the other side. Next step is to navigate through the forest up to the base of the granite cliffs above. We found the approach pretty straightforward. Up one drainage hike over, go down the other. The trick I think is knowing where to cross over. We were all new to this canyon so we found a GPS very helpful.

Using Beta from http://www.climb-utah.com/WM/icicle.htm and the GPS we measured the 900 vertical feet (from the parking lot) to our crossover point. I found that we had to go a little higher (~+100ft) to actually get to the start of the crossover.

We brought two ropes, 215ft & 165ft, a 200ft pull cord and 60 ft of webbing.

Here is an overview of the canyon
    Name:  GWI_1.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  159.8 KB

Looking at the base of the granite cliff from about 30 feet up
    Name:  IMG_5632.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  129.7 KB

Looking up the ascent drainage
    Name:  IMG_5634.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  200.0 KB

About 950 vertical feet up the ascent drainage just before the crossover point
    Name:  IMG_5640.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  118.9 KB

This is what the crossover looks like while hiking up it to gain the ridge. Look for a large slab of granite that is located on the left (East) side of the main drainage while hiking up.
    Name:  IMG_5642.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  108.8 KB

After hiking up the crossover and gaining the ridge, we traversed horizontally and came to a spot looking down at this log. This is also the place we put on harnesses and got ready.
    Name:  IMG_5644.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  129.4 KB

Ryan on the first rap
    Name:  IMG_5648.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  215.0 KB

Natalie about to drop the second rap
    Name:  IMG_5651.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  192.4 KB

Natalie on the second rap
    Name:  IMG_5653.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  118.7 KB

Ryan on the third rap
    Name:  IMG_5655.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  141.9 KB

Natalie completing the third rap
    Name:  IMG_5660.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  168.5 KB

Natalie on the fourth rap
    Name:  IMG_5669.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  206.3 KB

Standing at the top of rap 5 looking back up
    Name:  IMG_5672.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  176.6 KB

Carrie on rap 4
    Name:  IMG_5681.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  208.3 KB

Natalie on rap 5
    Name:  IMG_5691.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  118.9 KB

Carrie on rap 6 (final rap)
    Name:  IMG_5699.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  166.3 KB
    After rap six don't continue down the drainage like we did (white X X X on the overview image). Hike immediately West and over to the main trail down and out of the area. This was a fun canyon experience. I think that there must be dozens of ways to complete this route. While looking around I found so many different anchors, bolts, pitons, trees etc... What's mentioned in this trip report and in Shane's beta is only what is generally used to complete this canyon.

2. Likes Mountaineer, Sandstone Addiction liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Well done! Nice report!

Pssst... going RDC the entire way is a bit easier.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

5. Likes WorkBad liked this post
    Bob,

I'm sorry that we didn't get the chance to do this together :-). Maybe in the future things will work. Thanks for the compliments.

Fun little adventure for sure! Love these local romps :)
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

8. Likes WorkBad liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkBad View Post
    Bob,

I'm sorry that we didn't get the chance to do this together :-). Maybe in the future things will work. Thanks for the compliments.
    Some other time for sure!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM