Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picturesque, Challenging Canyoning Areas that AREN'T CLOSED

Picturesque, Challenging Canyoning Areas that AREN'T CLOSED

So, let's assume that the Government (and National Park lands) stay shut until mid-October, enough time to prevent my single canyoneering adventure from occurring in Zion NP or Escalante NP (First two choices).

What are other good areas with reasonable access to scenic canyons that will still be open?
    -We will not have 4wd.
    -Looking most back-for-buck for a 4-day trip from Denver
    - Areas with many canyons close to eachother would help
    -Would like to keep a drive from Denver under 11 hrs.
    -Looking mainly for scenery, but also some good challenge in a few of the canyons - (Keeper Potholes, swimming, PG slots)

Your suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Escalante isn't a national park and isn't really patrolled. Is it closed? If it is, can they even keep you from getting in?
    --Cliff

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by abliviax View Post
    So, let's assume that the Government (and National Park lands) stay shut until mid-October, enough time to prevent my single canyoneering adventure from occurring in Zion NP or Escalante NP (First two choices).

What are other good areas with reasonable access to scenic canyons that will still be open?
    -We will not have 4wd.
    -Looking most back-for-buck for a 4-day trip from Denver
    - Areas with many canyons close to eachother would help
    -Would like to keep a drive from Denver under 11 hrs.
    -Looking mainly for scenery, but also some good challenge in a few of the canyons - (Keeper Potholes, swimming, PG slots)

Your suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
    You'll be happy to learn that the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument is not a National Park. It is managed by the Bureau of Land Management, and it is "Too Big To Close".

The Calf Creek campground is closed, and the visitor centers are closed.

Quote Originally Posted by BLM Staff
    from the staff:

The BLM Visitor Centers and Escalante Interagency Visitor Center are closed because of the government shutdown. Calf Creek Recreation Area and Deer Creek Campground are also closed. Facilities throughout the GSENM are closed. For more information, please visit the Department of Interior website at:www.doi.gov/shutdown.
    For emergencies contact 911, Garfield Sheriff Office at 435 676-2411 or Kane Sheriff Office at 435 644-2349
    see attached road report.

The deep backcountry roads are a MESS! Road Report here: http://canyoncollective.com/threads/...wn-info.18784/

North Wash, Robbers Roost, Swell, etc. - all open. Rather limiting to not have 4WD, but high clearance at least?

What level of canyons are you seeking? What HAVE you done, and what WOULD you have done in Zion?

Tom

If need be -- I may to find some way to get a higher clearance vehicle -- rent one?! We just don't have one amongst our group.

In Zion our main interests were Boundary, Kolob Canyons, and possibly Heaps if a person who has been comes along. We have done several class C canyons in Ouray - Corbett, and all of Oak/Angel Creeks, in Zion we have done Echo, Pine Crk, Subway, in Escalante - Egypt 2,3 and some other obscure ones.

Pothole escape experience is limited, but we'd like to change that ... slowly.

But again:
    Goal #0: Canyons that are open
    Goal #1: Scenery
    Goal #2: Athletic/Problem solving Challenge in a few of the canyons
    Goal #3: # of nice canyons in 4 days driving from Denver

Thanks! -
    Forrest

Officially BLM lands are closed ... might this affect North Wash, Robber's Roost areas? I imagine they have little oversight as is, but I haven't been.

7. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Go to Zion, hike in from the east side, and do full Echo. 300~' rap over weeping rock. No one will be beneath you and it's not everyday that it can be done;).

I'm not really advocating civil disobedience, but... Carpe diem....

Hell, how 'bout Parunuweap or Goose Creek?

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    Escalante isn't a national park and isn't really patrolled. Is it closed? If it is, can they even keep you from getting in?
    Keep in mind that GCNRA goes from the lake, up the Escalante to around Silver Falls. Technically most canyoneering destinations on the Escalante are closed.

http://www.glencanyonnha.org/maps/GlenCanyonNRA_map.pdf
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

BLM Lands are NOT closed. Just their facilities are, including rescue services. Can you sue the government for not rescuing you if you get hurt on BLM Land? Now that would be an interesting lawsuit.

http://www.doi.gov/shutdown/fy2014/u...gency-Plan.pdf

Visitor Management: The BLM will close and secure visitor centers and facilities on public
    lands. Visitor activities that require a permit may be canceled or postponed. Contracted
    operations such as trash collection and toilet cleaning will be suspended. If practical, areas will
    be posted with signs that state that no patrols, maintenance or other management activities will
    be provided including emergency or rescue services provided by BLM.

11. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    I think how each area is handled will probably be a little different, however BLM have 300 security employees on staff for ALL of their land during shutdown ... almost 1 million acres per person. Ha.

----- from BLM shutdown plans ------

Individual permits in special areas - No new entries or activities will be allowed at the time of the
    shutdown. Use of permitted areas should be ended as soon as practical, and no longer than
    within 48 hours of shutdown, such as at Long Term Visitor Areas or Aravaipa Canyon.

I think Oldno's point is that most of the canyons in the Escalante area are actually in the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area - which is managed by the National Park Service, not the BLM.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by LVRAY View Post
    I think Oldno's point is that most of the canyons in the Escalante area are actually in the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area - which is managed by the National Park Service, not the BLM.
    Exactly, most probably are not aware of the boundary.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by reverse_dyno View Post
    BLM Lands are NOT closed. Just their facilities are, including rescue services. Can you sue the government for not rescuing you if you get hurt on BLM Land? Now that would be an interesting lawsuit.

http://www.doi.gov/shutdown/fy2014/u...gency-Plan.pdf

Visitor Management: The BLM will close and secure visitor centers and facilities on public
    lands. Visitor activities that require a permit may be canceled or postponed. Contracted
    operations such as trash collection and toilet cleaning will be suspended. If practical, areas will
    be posted with signs that state that no patrols, maintenance or other management activities will
    be provided including emergency or rescue services provided by BLM.
    On BLM lands, rescue is not the responsibility of the BLM, it is the responsibility of the County Sheriff.

At times, the BLM provides support on SARs, but they are not primary.

Tom

16. Likes Eric Holden liked this post
    I think Birch Hollow and Fat Man's Misery is technically outside of Zion as well as the permit system-- so that should be fair game legally. Can someone corroborate that statement? I am scheduled to go to Zion for canyoneering next week and it looks like my plans will be up in smoke also. =(

But to access misery canyon without 4WD you need to hike in from inside Zion. I'm facing this dilemma this weekend, and wondering how I'm going to get to Misery Canyon?

is the maze road blocked? The road that takes u to Hanns flat?

Quote Originally Posted by MPH View Post
    is the maze road blocked? The road that takes u to Hanns flat?
    I don't think they'd close that road since it leads to BLM, NPS, and GCNRA lands. However, it wouldn't surprise me if the NPS suspended all permits for camping in the Maze and Orange Cliffs area of GCNRA.
    Blog | FB

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    But to access misery canyon without 4WD you need to hike in from inside Zion. I'm facing this dilemma this weekend, and wondering how I'm going to get to Misery Canyon?
    They are not allowing anyone to park a vehicle in the park.

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    The easy, convenient way to access Misery canyon is through Zion National Park.

wink wink

nudge nudge

Tom

Birch Hollow is entirely on BLM land. Well, a couple of private parcels need to be crossed.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    Go to Zion, hike in from the east side, and do full Echo. 300~' rap over weeping rock. No one will be beneath you and it's not everyday that it can be done;).

I'm not really advocating civil disobedience, but... Carpe diem....
    The only bad part would be climbing back up the east rim trail instead of doing a car shuttle.

Quote Originally Posted by mzamp View Post
    The only bad part would be climbing back up the east rim trail instead of doing a car shuttle.
    Eh, there are worse things... I feel like the east rim trail is about the best way to put away 2500'+ of elevation.