Thread: Poison Spring Alternate Escape Routes

Poison Spring Alternate Escape Routes

FYI:

Others had obviously discovered these, however, my buddy and I suspected and subsequently confirmed that there are multiple escape routes up the slickrock bowls in the Poison Spring area (as opposed to exiting via the Arscenic Arch-per the beta). If anyone wants, I have GPX files, however, I suspect you will not need them. These canyons were anticipated to be 5-7hrs a piece (mainly due to the exit). We turned it into 7hrs for all three.

Name:  Arscenic1.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  162.8 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Cool thanks!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Ryan has another exit near Slideanide on his site, http://www.AJroadtrips.com

Tom

Good find! Thanks for posting.

I like your map. I liked it even more when I made it... What no credit? http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...rscenic-Canyon

Quote Originally Posted by WorkBad View Post
    I like your map. I liked it even more when I made it... What no credit? http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...rscenic-Canyon
    More importantly, I'm sure Google Earth is pissed at us both! :)

HEAR YE, HEAR YE: Let the record show that WorkBad's post 1) inspired me to post this beta 2) I modified HIS map 3) his lines are prettier than mine. :)

Lots of side exits and alternative methods of exiting and combining the Poison Spring slots. Since I was the one that released the PS slots to the general public I can give you some insights into why the slots are beta the way they are. It was the easist method of releasing the beta in a form that would be simple to understand, result in the least number of lost or cliffed out canyoneers. I figured the noobs would stick to the paint by numbers game plan and the experienced would quickly notice they had options to explore. It seems to have been a good choice as SAR's in the PS slots have been rare. YMMV...

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

9. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    At least in my opinion, Arscenic Arch is worth visiting so it would be a shame to miss it.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Lots of side exits and alternative methods of exiting and combining the Poison Spring slots. Since I was the one that released the PS slots to the general public I can give you some insights into why the slots are beta the way they are. It was the easist method of releasing the beta in a form that would be simple to understand, result in the least number of lost or cliffed out canyoneers. I figured the noobs would stick to the paint by numbers game plan and the experienced would quickly notice they had options to explore. It seems to have been a good choice as SAR's in the PS slots have been rare. YMMV...

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3
    Solid logic. Likely the right call. The escape that we used from the confluence of slideanide and constryctnine was the sketchiest (but the fastest). It required a few (<3) low 5th class moves to achieve the bench. I could see that escape being the most likely to get people in to trouble.

Shane: Did you name these canyons? Very clever. I got a kick out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ebernhoft View Post
    Shane: Did you name these canyons? Very clever. I got a kick out of them.
    Yes, I named them, or at least had a hand in naming and popularizing the current routes. I did the routes with Tom Jones, Barb & Jeff Meierhofer, Alicia Scotter, Sharon & Tom Talboys and the names were a group effort on the hike out. Originally Constrychnine had a different working title until the current name was suggested by Stefan Folias. I can't remember the orginal working title name.

In Arscenic where the canyon makes a sharp left hand turn you can climb out right there canyon left. It is where the slot comes in from the right.