Thread: Advice sought: first trip to robber's roost

Advice sought: first trip to robber's roost

Folks,

A group of us are headed to Robber's Roost for the weekend. The plan is to drive in from Green River on Saturday morning, do a shorter canyon on the way in, camp at a second canyon, do that one the second day, then pack up and do a shorter canyon again on Monday morning.

I have chosen Little Blue John on the way in. That night we'll camp somewhere near High Spur, and do that one on Sunday, then pack up and head out Monday and do NEEP (Pasture canyon) on the way out.

What I'm confused about is how to get from Little Blue John to High Spur. AJ's site says 24 mi to Blue John but 46 mi to High Spur, and from what I can tell it's a very different driving route- but looking at Google Earth (and following the roads) they don't seem that far apart.

Anyone that's done those two canyons - are they really that far apart and what's the best driving route?

Are we cool to camp "near" High Spur?

And finally, is NEEP a good one on the way out, or is it just too far out of the way. We need a shorty because we're driving home to Denver after the trip.

Anyone got any advice for me?

Thanks in advance,
    --Bill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Did little blue john last week, them up main fork. Great canyon...quite short. 4hrs for the entire thing. Exit down horseshoe if you have a car shuttle. Camping at granary springs is close to blue john and one of the few places hidden from the wind...just watch out for broken glass.

To get from Bluejohn to High Spur, you have to drive a big 'U' around Horseshoe Canyon. It's a long, isolated dirt road.

I would do pasture on a full day...I think little blue is quicker...maybe just for me...but, the road walk out of pasture is long...great views but long...

If you feel like you've got the climbing skills for it, down the east fork of pasture and up the west fork is definitely the way to go. Two really fun canyons with one trip.

Scratch that...I was referring to bull pasture...my apologies...

Quote Originally Posted by MPH View Post
    I would do pasture on a full day...I think little blue is quicker...maybe just for me...but, the road walk out of pasture is long...great views but long...

Scratch that...I was referring to bull pasture...my apologies...
    MPH, what do you think about not doing the last drop in Bull Pasture and ascending the canyon?

I would say that u would need to leave your rope at the first rap. U then could descend as far as u were comfortable and retreat and ascend the rope u left in place.

For what it's worth...I would recommend the west fork of white roost. By pasture...great last day canyon...the west fork is gorgeous...the white roost is gorgeous in my opinion...go down canyon a little ways from the exit...springs, water, alcoves, etc. some awesome Utah desert!

10. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    I don't think anyone has answered your camping question. There is a good place to camp near High Spur. We camped right at the parking spot when I did it, just past a small sign that says "High Spur."
    --Cliff

For what it's worth...I would recommend the west fork of white roost. By pasture...great last day canyon...the west fork is gorgeous...the white roost is gorgeous in my opinion...go down canyon a little ways from the exit...springs, water, alcoves, etc. some awesome Utah desert!
    Thanks we're going to try and fit this one in.

There's some dissension among the group; we may just do Little Blue John, Pasture, and this one. Thanks!

High spur is sweet and some of the best camping in the area...the further down the spur road...past the intersection, the better the camping!!!!

We did white roost main fork and loved it. Good downclimbs some rapped some didn't. One very stinky chest deep pool and one stemmable pool. Very highly recommended.

Posting TR later