Thread: Das Boot 9/13/13

Das Boot 9/13/13

Had a blast doing Das Boot after all the rain. Everything was chock full of water and really only required the final rappel (even that was jumpable).

We started the morning at 7:30 at West Rim Trailhead and spent 3 hours hiking down (and back) to see the flow at the first rap in Kolob. This was the original plan for the day, though we had heard there was too much water. We wanted to see it in any case, but it was too much for us.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQUVr5zvm8o

On one hand it was worth seeing, but the hike back to the car wasn't exactly a peach.

About 11:30 am we started down Wildcat Canyon and toward Das Boot. Probably about 2 hours or so before we got a drop in spot. It has been many years since we've done Das Boot, so from memory (which wasn't perfect), we missed the drop in point by about 300 yards (too far north and too early) which forced a short rap into the narrows.

The day temps were in the 70/80s and water temp perfect with wetsuits. Took us about 2-2.5 hours to enter the subway section going at leisurely pace. I have done this section twice before and it required at least one rap over a logjam (20-25 feet), but that was under much drier conditions. Not so on this occasion. For the final rap, I wasn't thrilled with the puny tree, but it's sturdy enough and having a huge pool below was nice.

We hiked back up (Russel Gulch) and that 1500 feet climb was as bad as the MIA exit for Kolob and Boundary for me. I think the 3 hour Kolob diversion earlier in the day had something to do with that. It was interesting starting later and returning to the car about 6:30, we didn't see a soul. It was a stellar day and hope you enjoy the video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHXy6V9EY-8

2. Likes Taylor liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow. That is a ton of water. I have been in there a bunch of times and never seen it that full. Thanks for the report and video.
    Life is Good

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    What did they say Kolob was Running?

Tom

If your question was the water district - they said they were releasing 3 cfs. I am estimating the flow was 10-15 cfs (just my guess with no precision). Recall, this was Friday, Sept 13 after what had been 2-3 weeks of storms and Wednesday that week was big rain.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bhalvers2002 View Post
    If your question was the water district - they said they were releasing 3 cfs. I am estimating the flow was 10-15 cfs (just my guess with no precision). Recall, this was Friday, Sept 13 after what had been 2-3 weeks of storms and Wednesday that week was big rain.
    Cool, thanks.

Tom

Awesome video! We did it the day before you and it was great.