Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Countdown to Zion Closing

Quote Originally Posted by rick t View Post
    what about Kolob, and Boundary, and out the MIA?
    Boundary doesn't require a permit, and who actually bothers with one for Kolob?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Boundary doesn't require a permit, and who actually bothers with one for Kolob?
    Little extra walk to get in there.

Tom

Not to worry, Washington county will be re-opening Zions in a few days.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

5. Likes tanya liked this post
    Wells hopefullys theys wills gets theirs acts togethers sooners thans laters sos wes cans gets backs tos ours favorites Nationals parks-Zion.

7. Likes ratagonia, Brit Beermonster, Byron liked this post
    I'm curious... How does the shutdown save money exactly?
    They are not paying rangers, but they have not fired them either... so... according to law, once they re-open, unless they default, they WILL have to pay back ALL the money they own them.

So for the employees it was just a paid vacation... but the government will have lost millions in unrealized gains...
    So I'm puzzled... How is a (temporary) government shutdown supposed to help? I'm sure someone must have thought long and hard to get to implement this NP closing measure as emergency cost cutting... but I don't get it.

9. Likes jaredr, Brit Beermonster, tanya liked this post
    Bogley BigShot
    Yep. Like a bunch of 2 years old holding their breath. Hopefully Zion is open by Saturday, but there is a protest going on. Not against the park or employees of the park of course, but the Government.Name:  occupy.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  166.4 KB

11. Likes Glenn, Brit Beermonster, Taylor liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by lucach View Post
    It doesn't save money, it actually costs and loses a bunch of money; and none of it makes any sense. And it's not supposed to make sense, it's supposed to hurt the people... But enough about all of Obama's policies and laws, let's talk about the Zion shutdown!

13. Likes Eric Holden liked this post
    Bogley BigShot
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 2:55 PM

News Flash!!

All of Utah’s National Parks and Monuments will be open beginning Saturday, October 12!!
    The State of Utah has reached an agreement with Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell to staff the parks with National Park Employees, paid for by Utah State Funds.

Enjoy YOUR National Parks & Monuments!!

Ken Gotzen-Berg
    Director
    Kane County Office of Tourism
    435-644-5033
    78 South 100 East, Kanab, UT 84741
    kgotzenberg@VisitSouthernUtah.com
    www.VisitSouthernUtah.com

15. Likes jaredr, ghawk liked this post
    A big thank you to the state of Utah!

Bogley BigShot
    Let me just add that this agreement has been reached verbally with Governor Gary Herbert and the Department of the interior. They have their attorneys working on the legal agreement with many I's to dot and T's to cross before we have a solid agreement signed. It is projected that these matters will be dealt with in the next 24 hours. Many details to work out and ramp up issues, some discussion about phases of opening. Stay tuned for more details and be a bit cautious about what you announce and promise until we have solid information. The great news is that the efforts from the local collation of counties has made a big difference. Also, thanks to our Governor for stepping up to support us in this effort.

Dirk Clayson(435) 616-1234

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    They are not paying rangers, but they have not fired them either... so... according to law, once they re-open, unless they default, they WILL have to pay back ALL the money they own them.

So for the employees it was just a paid vacation... but the government will have lost millions in unrealized gains...
    So I'm puzzled... How is a (temporary) government shutdown supposed to help? I'm sure someone must have thought long and hard to get to implement this NP closing measure as emergency cost cutting... but I don't get it.
    According to the law, the government cannot spend money, except on essential services. So 'non-essentials' are not allowed to work, and 'essentials' are allowed to work, but they are working for free.

Once a CR gets passed, Congress MIGHT be so kind as to pay the people that worked, and the people that did not work, for the days that they worked or not. The smart money is on that Congress will pay them.

Thus, when the state of Arizona asks for a guarantee that they will be repaid, they are out of luck. The gov'mint cannot commit to that. I think Utah did the smart thing. It is a good investment for Utah to pay to open the parks, even without being reimbursed. And they will most likely be reimbursed.

On the flip side, what a jerk the Secretary of the DOI is, insisting that the WHOLE Grand Canyon Park be re-opened. Heck, let the state do a partial - THEY'RE paying!

Feds: "Oh, we can't SAY we will reimburse you... wink wink nudge nudge... say no more..."

Tom

20. Likes trackrunner liked this post
    Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    According to the law, the government cannot spend money, except on essential services. So 'non-essentials' are not allowed to work, and 'essentials' are allowed to work, but they are working for free.
    Tom is right. It is not about saving money it's about there is no law or contract to spend money without a budget (or CR). This is the law that forces a shutdown with out a budget http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Deficiency_Act

From Zion's Website http://www.nps.gov/shutdown/index.html 'Because of the federal government shutdown, national parks are closed and the National Park Service website is not being maintained.
    As a result of donations from states to the National Park Service, the following national parks are temporarily re-opened.

We sincerely regret any inconvenience the closures cause and look forward to once again welcoming you to your national parks. In the meantime, we respectfully request that you honor all park closures. With more than 20,000 National Park Service employees furloughed, the staff that remain on duty are focused on protecting park resources and human life and safety and cannot provide the visitor services that you have come to expect from us for nearly 100 years.
    Thank you for your support during this time.
    For more information, go to www.doi.gov/shutdown. ' Looks open to me!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brit Beermonster View Post
    From Zion's Website http://www.nps.gov/shutdown/index.html 'Because of the federal government shutdown, national parks are closed and the National Park Service website is not being maintained.
    As a result of donations from states to the National Park Service, the following national parks are temporarily re-opened.

We sincerely regret any inconvenience the closures cause and look forward to once again welcoming you to your national parks. In the meantime, we respectfully request that you honor all park closures. With more than 20,000 National Park Service employees furloughed, the staff that remain on duty are focused on protecting park resources and human life and safety and cannot provide the visitor services that you have come to expect from us for nearly 100 years.
    Thank you for your support during this time.
    For more information, go to www.doi.gov/shutdown. ' Looks open to me!
    So I assume getting a new permit for Zion is out of the question - however, I have a permit for the subway next week on Friday. Will they honor that? Or am I SOL?

-Brett
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

It would appear that the links in Brit Beermonster's post are back up & working, as are other certain Federal websites (like the NTSB), but not nasa.gov.

That's a good start, because I'll be back out to southern Utah in 3 weeks time.

Rob

(another beer monster ) Matt wher're you from?

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    Tthere is no law or contract to spend money without a budget (or CR).
    This hasn't stopped Obama thus far!