Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Countdown to Zion Closing

Countdown to Zion Closing

Just over 16 hours until Zion closes with the Government shutdown. Get ready to go do those canyons that have been on your bucket list that you couldn't get permits for. LOL

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

As long as it re-opens by the 31st....
    Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm

Goose Creek anyone? jk. I'm just trying to troll the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    Goose Creek anyone? jk. I'm just trying to troll the thread!
    My thoughts exactly!

Law enforcement in the parks isn't shutting down. In fact it's probably going to be beefed up to keep people out of the parks.

http://www.doi.gov/shutdown/fy2014/u...Fact-Sheet.pdf
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

That was the action I was anticipating from the National Parks, but I was just hoping so much that it wouldn't be so. It's lame that as soon as they run out of money, they don't let us onto our land.

Total travesty! It is our land and we all pay for it! SO UPSETTING!

Mountain Man
    It's lame that as soon as they run out of money, they don't let us onto our land.
    Exactly. And exactly why the claim that public lands are our lands is BS.

How about an experiment where we the people run the park?

If it does actually shut down, it'll probably be open by the weekend. And if not, just go somewhere else this weekend and it'll be back open by the next.

13. Likes mzamp liked this post
    I guess the person who updates the web site got furloughed because you can still reserve permits.

15. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    Zion web page is now down
    Life is Good

Has anyone actually tried to go to the park and been turned back? I wonder if they are just closing down the Washington D.C. locations and most other parks are kind of pretending this sillyness wasn't happening. On a different thread, someone mentioned they are still allowing people to hike Buckskin, but I don't think Buckskin is in a National Park/Monument.

Has anyone actually tried to go to the park and been turned back? I wonder if they are just closing down the Washington D.C. locations and most other parks are kind of pretending this sillyness wasn't happening. On a different thread, someone mentioned they are still allowing people to hike Buckskin, but I don't think Buckskin is in a National Park/Monument.
    Wire Pass, Wave and locale. Not issuing permits or hikers. (435) 688-3200
    Vermilion Cliffs National Monument
    Monument Manager: Kevin Wright
    345 E. Riverside Drive
    St. George, UT 84790-6714
    (435) 688-3200
    Hours: 7:45 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday
    10:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Law enforcement in the parks isn't shutting down. In fact it's probably going to be beefed up to keep people out of the parks.
    http://www.doi.gov/shutdown/fy2014/u...Fact-Sheet.pdf
    so how they pay for it?
    does not make sense if the park cannot pay employee to let citizen in but they can find the money to keep people out
    is kind of ridiculous

20. Likes rockgremlin, mzamp liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by hesse15 View Post
    so how they pay for it?
    does not make sense if the park cannot pay employee to let citizen in but they can find the money to keep people out
    is kind of ridiculous
    It's not about finding or not finding the money. Any job that is non-essential (basically not directly related to constitutional responsibilities, the protection of human life, or the protection of property) no longer has money approved since the budget has not passed, and the debt ceiling has been reached (Credit cards maxed out).

The way they pay for the "essential" functions is by delaying paying other items. Government funding has budgeted items, and appropriated items (and debt, and other stuff). The budget is redone each year, and each department asks for a certain amount of money. Appropriations are basically congress saying lets pay 2 million to fix a road in Texas, or lets send 5 million to research tree frogs in Zion NP. So when the budget is not passed, and there is no money to borrow on the credit cards, they take from one fund to pay other funds and will delay repaying debt or paying to study tree frogs until it is resolved.

What is ridiculous is that we have let our country get trillions of dollars in debt and then act surprised when the bills come due and the credit card gets declined.

As to Zion NP, I say go for it. Go hike the Subway or Kolob or some other section that isn't as heavily traveled as the main canyon and have a great time doing it. The NP's were created for our enjoyment and that doesn't change simply because the rangers can't give you a map or tell you the weather.

(I'm certainly no economist so my explanations are based on how I understand it - feel free to add/correct as needed)

Quote Originally Posted by hesse15 View Post
    so how they pay for it?
    is kind of ridiculous
    thats government for ya, if there is a less efficient way of doing something they will find it.

Mountain Man
    http://freebeacon.com/wwii-vets-knoc...wwii-memorial/

Vets take over park in DC. We do this in Zion.

Has anyone actually tried to go to the park and been turned back?
    Still curious about this one?