Thread: Techie Question (I know you're out there!)

Techie Question (I know you're out there!)

Seems like there are a lot of techies on this site, so am putting forth a question to you. I just joined the tablet community last week by purchasing a Samsung Galaxy 2 10.1 device. One of the major reasons for finally getting a tablet is to watch movies on my many airline flights I have coming up this fall. I understand how to RENT and download a movie to watch offline from, say, the Play Store, but I own a gazillion DVD
    Are we there yet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Use any of the various software options to convert the movie format.

I used this one because it was free after rebate a while ago. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...140&CatId=4095

It was a little buggy, but I finally figured out the process.

Hint, this kills your computer!!!!! Make sure you dont have to do anything else on your computer as its a bvery demanding task!!!!!

This is one of the main reasons to go Android.

If you'd like to use a PC program like Handbrake - http://download.cnet.com/HandBrake/3...-10808250.html

That will convert your DVD from the tray into a single playable movie file. Or if you already have them on your computer somewhere then....

Connect your tablet to your PC via USB cord, make sure USB storage mode is on from the tablet. You should see the auto play box come up, choose Open Folder to View Files.

Drag and drop any photos, videos, music, documents to your MicroSD card.

------------------------------------

If you are home and have your videos on the PC, you can download various apps like ES File Explorer https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roid.pop&hl=en
    and you could stream the files/movies from your PC right to your device. You could configure this to work from other Wifi areas, and also if you had a data plan on your tablet too.

Also download the MX Player, plays all video files. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...layer.ad&hl=en

But the easiest and most reliable way is to get the movie file to your PC, then just drag and drop it to your tablet via USB cable.

Dropbox and other cloud storage is ok, but have size limits. You also may need data/wifi to access those files while out on the road.

Another great reason to go Android? The uTorrent app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...torrent.client

Thanks! I do not currently have any of my DVD's saved to the PC hard drive. If I download the Handbrake program, will it ask what file type to save it as? If so, which file type do I choose and will that file type be the one I copy to the SD card or will I need to convert it to some other type first?
    Are we there yet?

When you download Handbrake (free) it's been a while but I think you can just go with the default settings. You'll place the DVD in the tray and run Handbrake, there are some options like removing the FBI warning and menu screens which I recommend. I think it converts it as a type of AVI file, which if your default Android media player won't play it, MX Player definitely will.

Handbrake will convert all of the multiple VOB files on the disk to one single file that you can click and play. You can also mess around with the compression, say to get the 4GB DVD file down to under 1GB.

Once it's finished converting, just drag and drop it to your tablet, even your android phone. MX Player app will scan your device and find all video files in their folders, so minimal searching for the movie on your tablet is needed. But no, you would not need another conversion process after Handbrake compresses it.

Cool- thanks! I'll give it a try!
    Are we there yet?

So, I downloaded Handbrake and tried the process but it won't copy the disc because of the copy protection. From the Handbrake User's Guide: "Handbrake does NOT decrypt commercial DVD or Blu-ray discs. It only supports sources that DO NOT contain any form of copy protection". It goes on to say that you need to get decryption software first before Handbrake will work, but doesn't go into any detail beyond that. Any suggestions (without getting into trouble from 'The Man') on decryption software?
    Are we there yet?

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    ANYDVDHD.. You must pay for it, but it decrypts flawlessly!

http://www.slysoft.com/en/

Then you use Handbrake to rip the movie.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

I put all my DVDs on my main iMac using handbrake. Then my TV's can access them using Apple TV and also any other computer or phone on my network. It works slick. Makes it easy to load movies on an iPad or iPhone too for a trips.

To decrypt, try dvdfab hd decrypter, it's free

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Good info, but then comes a tutorial on torrenting lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free