Thread: Hey all, first post here.

Hey all, first post here.

This is Swimswithtrout from the BP'r.com forums.

As much as I love the tundra and alpine country of the Winds and my local CO ranges, the season is short.

I made my very first venture through the desert SW last Thanksgiving to visit my mother in Phoenix, and I've now fallen in love with discovering the Rock Art of the SW.

I've started planning this years Thanksgiving trip already. Last years trip was a spur of the moment thing with no prior research, so I've been trying to compile a "short list" of easy accessible sites, navigable via a Hyundai Elantra,, staying in motels over ~ four days going there and ~ two on the way back.

So far my list is Sego Canyon on the way to Moab from N. Colorado the first day, with sunset photos at Arches NP in the evening.

Next morning I'd like to visit Potash Rd, Kane Creek, "The Birthing" rock, the Golf Course, and then Courthouse Wash on a return up to Arches for sunset photo's.

I've seen several references to Seven Mile Canyon in the area and it's excellent Barrier Style pictographs and wondered if it would be worth a day to visit on my way back . Directions to it are somewhat hard to find though.

From Moab, I'm planning on driving to Page, AZ.

The area immediately around the highway at Bluff sounds good, Sand Island and Lower Butler Wash and from what I've read, I should be able to drive the Elantra to the Wolfman TH, correct ?

The one site that has really piqued my curiosity is further up Butler Wash, Monarch Caves. Is it possible to drive a passenger car to the TH ? One site I've read says yes, it's accessible to all vehicles, but most say it's only for high clearance/ 4WD.

At Page, my only requirement is to experience/photograph a few of the slot canyons at low to no cost. Wire Pass to Buckskin Gulch is at the top of the list, as well as Water Holes on the east side of 89. Probably a visit to Horseshoe Bend somewhere in the mix before driving to Phoenix.

Last year we did the Waterfall trail at White Tanks, while staying at my mothers house a short 20 min drive away, are there any other similar trails nearby ?

Though I don't know how to budget the time, unless I take an extra day off, the S Fork of Mule Canyon all the way up to the Wall Ruins sounds very interesting as well just to toss that into the mix..

Thanks for sharing your time and experiences in my new "home away from home"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Be aware that US 89 south of Page was wiped out by a landslide. But, you won't need to use it to get from Moab to Page.
    http://www.az511.com/adot/files/

You should be able to get to the Wolfman TH okay. As for Monarch Cave, the Bluff area got hit hard by the same rain that flooded Colorado. I haven't been near Monarch since, but it could be in rough shape if not graded yet.

Sounds like a great trip you have planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Swimswithtrout View Post

Next morning I'd like to visit Potash Rd, Kane Creek, "The Birthing" rock, the Golf Course, and then Courthouse Wash on a return up to Arches for sunset photo's.

I've seen several references to Seven Mile Canyon in the area and it's excellent Barrier Style pictographs and wondered if it would be worth a day to visit on my way back . Directions to it are somewhat hard to find though.
    I just recently did some stuff in Moab, specifically the South Fork of Sevenmile Canyon. Here is a link to my trip report.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...pdated-7-22%29

There are also lots of rock art all along the Kane Creek road heading out from Moab. It is easier to see if you are heading toward Moab coming from Kane Creek Canyon. Go slow, but don't block traffic. :)

Message me if you need specific directions.

Thanks,

Zack

Dave,
    It's a little out of your way but 9 Mile Canyon south of Price Utah has one of the richest, most accessable collections of rock art anywhere. It is one panel after another and some you don't even have to get out of your car to see. I spent a day and a half there
    with one of my sons a couple of years ago. I am sure that there are plenty of others that could be found with some hiking. Let me know if you have any questions. It would take an extra day to drive from Moab and check it out.
    PS. Didn't know you wandered from BPer and the Winds

Quote Originally Posted by kvolk View Post
    (I) Didn't know you wandered from BPer and the Winds...

Dave,
    It's a little out of your way but 9 Mile Canyon south of Price Utah has one of the richest, most accessible collections of rock art anywhere. It is one panel after another and some you don't even have to get out of your car to see. I spent a day and a half there with one of my sons a couple of years ago.
    Hey Chad, I might be getting older, but I still get around

The "prime season" in the Wind's only lasts ~ for 2 months. I figure I have at least double that "Prime time" in the 4 Corners.

In any event, I've pretty much nixed Page, AZ and settled on 2-3 days in Moab, and a day around Flagstaff before spending the the rest of the week with my mother in Phoenix since it has to be a short trip.

But, I've already decided to suck up the cost of gas and I'm planning a late April/early May road trip with the 4WD. I figure I'll break more than even, 17 mpg in the 4WD camping out, vs a motel and the 35 mpg sedan and be able to get to many more remote sites.

I'll post a new thread as the time gets closer, but I'm looking at a 1 week + loop through 9 Mile Canyon, the San Rafael Swell, the "Grand Gallery", Cedar Mesa/ Butler Wash, and possibly Hovenweep on the way back.

Consider a stop at the Robidoux Inscription enroute to Sego. Unlike Sego, many of the pictographs are on private property, but are close to and can be viewed from the road. Some of the figures are similar to those at Sego.

Quote Originally Posted by erial View Post
    Consider a stop at the Robidoux Inscription enroute to Sego.
    Thanks !! I'll add that in on the way to Sego.

Dave,
    We did Nne Mile Canyon family early in the year so rather than drive up one of the side canyons to try to find a camping site up on the mesa (no camping allowed in the main canyon) we stayed in a cabin at Nine Mile Ranch. It was very rustic. They have camp sites as well. The owner is a retired coal miner from the area and is a wealth of information. He told us how to find a nice pictograph (otherwise all glyphs) and the owl panel which you don't want to miss.
    If you have time on your visit to Cedar Mesa a quick backpack through Cedar Mesa is great. We did bout 25 miles on a trip from Kane Canyon Ranger Station and out Bullet Canyon. In 25 miles I think we saw about that many sets of ruins. We met some guys while we were picking up our permit who were doing the trip in reverse so I followed then down to Bullet and left my truck there and drove there truck back to the ranger station for them.
    fire me a line when it gets closer

Dave,
    I just put up a new web site with some of my photos. Most of the pictures in the Rock Art and Ruins folder are from Nine Mile Canyon. There are a few from Grand Gulch, one from Coyote Gulch and one from near St George. The ruins and one pictograph are from Grand Gulch
    clmerrell.smugmug.com

Very nice !

Quote Originally Posted by kvolk View Post
    Dave, I just put up a new web site with some of my photos.
    I really like the Moab folder , but I'm having a hard time placing the cover photo on your home page.....