Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alcatraz Rescue

I made that last repeal from the bolt that's a fixed on the left-hand side just before you exit. That drop this into a body of water that was about waist deep. I was able to raise myself and begin stemming out into the next body of water approximately 6 feet away. That is when I slipped and fell down into the crevice. That is where I spent the night. I spent the night and the next morning holding myself up due to the fact that I was wedged between my back my chest and without holding myself up I would not have been able to breathe. Around 12 o'clock The next morning I made the decision to push my way down deeper and make the turn and fall into the next pool of water which again was about 6 feet away. I dropped into that pool and push myself over to the next pool that I had to swim through I walked out of the canyon and just kept walking through that riverbed I did not see the trail that led back up to where the car was parked. I spent Friday night under a rock and was found Saturday morning at 9:30 by brave men and women that rescued me. MJ

2. Likes Mountaineer, bhunte2, ratagonia liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

IBMJolley, I was so glad to hear that you made it out of Alcatraz and hopefully you are doing well. I can only imagine how terrifyingly awful that experience must have been. I too, am thankful for those that sacrifice their time and resources to help us in our time of need. Maybe down the road sometime, if you feel so inclined, we'd love to hear some details of your ordeal. But if not, I totally understand and respect that.

Not sure if this helps or not, but Wayne Co SAR has a facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wayne...08628102539383

Edit: I guess we were writing at the same time. Thanks for the details.

I made that last repeal from the bolt that's a fixed on the left-hand side just before you exit. That drop this into a body of water that was about waist deep. I was able to raise myself and begin stemming out into the next body of water approximately 6 feet away. That is when I slipped and fell down into the crevice. That is where I spent the night. I spent the night and the next morning holding myself up due to the fact that I was wedged between my back my chest and without holding myself up I would not have been able to breathe. Around 12 o'clock The next morning I made the decision to push my way down deeper and make the turn and fall into the next pool of water which again was about 6 feet away. I dropped into that pool and push myself over to the next pool that I had to swim through I walked out of the canyon and just kept walking through that riverbed I did not see the trail that led back up to where the car was parked. I spent Friday night under a rock and was found Saturday morning at 9:30 by brave men and women that rescued me. MJ

6. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    IBM Jolley, glad you made it out ok and are safe. I can’t image what it was like being trapped for so long. I was stuck for just a few minutes and that experience was crazy enough. For me the most difficult part was the constriction on my chest, I couldn’t take a full deep breath, although I could breath. I found it difficult at times because of the lung constriction to stay mentally calm and assess the situation. If you’re up to sharing your story, I would be curious as to how you were able to keep a mental focus and get out.

Thanks for the update and details. It's always nice when the story has a happy ending.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

IBMjolley

why did you think descending Alcatraz in a tuxedo was a wise move?

do you feel construction type hardhats provide better protection than conventional climbing helmets?

did you find that plastic armored kneepads provide little purchase while trying to chimney in a sandstone slot canyon?

Kirk Out

Quote Originally Posted by jamestkirk View Post
    Kirk Out
    Bravely done, trekkie troll.

Big props to IMBJolly for stopping by and sharing his experience. It is a great thing to learn from other peoples adventures... and misadventures.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

12. Likes blueeyes, ratagonia liked this post
    IBMjolley

why did you think descending Alcatraz in a tuxedo was a wise move?

do you feel construction type hardhats provide better protection than conventional climbing helmets?

did you find that plastic armored kneepads provide little purchase while trying to chimney in a sandstone slot canyon?

Kirk Out
    Name:  d09c25c0-681a-4878-b5b3-e55fd22fc583.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  35.5 KB
    Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm

14. Likes Absolute Gravity liked this post
    Thanks for sharing your experience IMBJolly . Amazing story, and positive ending!

first of all, Kirk can kick Picard's ass any day!!

second, i'm not a troll. i have a great deal of valid information concerning this event. which i will share in order to educate those who are just getting into this sport.

third, it really gets tiresome witnessing over and over people who don't respect the danger involved in descending these canyons.

why bother posting in this thread? well, the trash and debris left behind after these events for one. also the bolting that occurs is always a bummer. and lastly, the time, money and effort put into the rescue. time and effort that could be completely avoided if only the party being rescued had put more time into gaining the skills and knowledge necessary to descend a canyon like Alcatraz.

i haven't been in all of the canyons in the Roost, but i feel Chambers and Alcatraz are among the most difficult in that region. a little background on me: i have lived in Moab for 10 years. i have worked as a climbing and canyoneering guide in this area and have made many descents in the Moab area, White Canyon, North Wash, The Roost and The Swell.

Kirk Out

17. Likes phinux liked this post
    i have a great deal of valid information concerning this event. which i will share in order to educate those who are just getting into this sport.
    Well, then share it. So far your posts have offered nothing useful, insightful or funny.

Content please. Try again.

*strikes a match on Kirk's badge*

*lights cigar*

19. Likes Absolute Gravity liked this post

third, it really gets tiresome witnessing over and over people who don't respect the danger involved in descending these canyons.
    It seems there are more people descending canyons each year, true. It stands to reason there will be more accidents and mishaps. Alcatraz requires a certain level of physical fitness and skills for sure. Perhaps some focus should be put into more education, preparedness tips, environment care, and awareness.

I recall even Capt. Kirk needing to get rescued a few times as well.

21. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    It seems there are more people descending canyons each year, true. It stands to reason there will be more accidents and mishaps.
    How do canyoneering accidents numbers compare with climbing accidents numbers?

first of all, Kirk can kick Picard's ass any day!!

second, i'm not a troll. i have a great deal of valid information concerning this event. which i will share in order to educate those who are just getting into this sport.
    Kirk Out
    are you sharing?
    we are here waiting!!!!

byt this forum is constructive, this guy i am sure learned his lesson the hard way.
    spending the freezing night alone stuck, that is harsh enough!!
    and was humble to posted so that require big balls on my mind.
    ps been a guide does not make you an expert!!!!!
    met plenty of ego driven guides in Moab!!!
    not everybody knows that mud can change condition badly.

24. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    How do canyoneering accidents numbers compare with climbing accidents numbers?
    Great question. I'm not aware of a comparative study. Would you guess there are more in canyoneering than in climbing? Or less?

The below graph is interesting, but it is based on US Population (not on number of new mountaineers):

Name:  graph_accidentspop.png
Views: 598
Size:  106.5 KB

And quoting the author: "My overall conclusion: For your best chances at experiencing a mountaineering accident, try climbing unroped or above your abilities on rocky terrain sometime between May-Sept in California or Washington."

And quoting the author: "My overall conclusion: For your best chances at experiencing a mountaineering accident, try climbing unroped or above your abilities on rocky terrain sometime between May-Sept in California or Washington."
    Another quote from the study on accidents:

"...[are there other] factors that contribute to more accidents or are there just more people climbing? (Probably the answer is there are just more people climbing since the mountains are more accessible in Colorado than Alaska.) ..."

It would be a helpful study to compare the increase in number of canyoneers over the years vs. accidents.

i'm getting there. you know, it takes 3 posts to be able to post pictures.

let me say one thing though...accidents happen. i have nothing against solo trips going bad or groups that encounter sudden weather changes or unexpected conditions in the canyon or just the random slip and fall. and that's what we have here, a slip and fall.

it is my opinion that the entire debacle could have been avoided if this group better educated themselves of the dangers involved with this route and chose a route more appropriate to their ability level.

Kirk Out

29. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Would you guess there are more in canyoneering than in climbing? Or less?
    I'd guess there are more per capita in canyoneering. I won't make many friends on this website by saying this, but climbers follows the safe principles of S.C.R.E. anchoring far better than canyoneers, mainly because climbers bolt more. And climbing has a better rating system to express the difficulties of a climb so you know when a climb is "above your abilities".

31. Likes phinux liked this post