Thread: September Canyoneering Thrashfest!

September Canyoneering Thrashfest!

Planned THREE WEEKS IN UTAH!!! WooHoo!

ok...so the initial itinerary didnt work out so well:

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  53.8 KB

Roads EVERYWHERE were destroyed when we arrived. Flash Flooding was still rampant and things werent looking good. We had to scrap Paria and head down to Joshua Tree for some climbing to run from the rain!!! Every bloody day NOAA pushed the forecasted sunny weather forward like a carrot in front of a rabbits nose ....always just out of reach... It finally came though and considering the previous three weeks had been monsoons, I feel very lucky that all we had to do was juggle the schedule.

This is how it all went down instead:

Name:  a.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  32.9 KB

Thoughts: My goal was to own Canditions recent posts....I had it for a while! :)
    HIRR + Egypt Opened the day we left....DANG IT!!! Choprock will be waiting for us next time!

Mud Springs: GREAT GREAT canyon! Red Rocks far exceeded my expectations!

Trachyotomy: hmm... did I even read this route description? Dang...got caught off guard with how tight this one was. First off we probably did about 2 man hours of repair to the road to even get there. We were forced to fix a 3 foot washout with boulders and lots of dirt....sketchy fix but it worked! (see video). The canyon: My pack was WAY WAY WAY too big. Wetsuits, despite recent weeks of rain were entirely unnecessary and were a HUGE liability for overheating. The 12 ft deep keeper was EASILY stemmed over. High stemming was somewhat unexpected: up to 40-50 ft off the deck. Yikes...that was new.

Woody: awesome! splash fest! BEAUTIFUL!

Larry: 7 hrs car to car w/ shuttle but had a HUGE group (8). Stayed at granary springs (which other than the broken glass everywhere, it was a great place to camp ---less wind!!!---) Roads were in shockingly good condition given the weather! Larry cyn: Mudfest! dang! Beautiful canyon

Not Mind Bender: 7.5hrs car to car (no shuttle) didnt have a car shuttle or bicycle. Parked at mindbender trailhead and split approach between morning and afternoon. HIGHLY recommended! GREAT CANYON! MORE MUDDY than larry and we encountered real, honest to god quicksand. Yikes! never seen it. It seems very dangerous, especially if you cant pseudo-stem on the walls. We found an alternate exit, that had obviously been discovered before us, that exited WAY before Shane's escape. That shaved off a ton of time. I do have a GPS spot if anyone is interested.

Down little blue john and up Main fork: 4.5 hrs car to car. One of the most scenic canyons around! I'm definitely planning on doing main fork to horseshoe canyon (ralston route) in the future. Tried the sandtrap just for fun. Passed with flying colors! The climb out of main fork was more strenuous than expected! Bring a small pack!

Poison Springs Hat Trick:
    7hrs for all 3 poison springs cyns (car to car) Constryctnine, Slideanide, Arscenic AAAAAAAND Zero G for dessert in one day!!! Home Run!!! canyons are hardly muddy and have just a few wades. Arscenic is my favorite for the scenery. Lots of elevator technique in slideanide! there are a TON of easier escapes that others have obviously used to avoid a long walk out per the beta. We exited straight up from the confluence of Constryct and Slide twice. works well.

Zero G: Fantastic! Splashfest! The road was horridly washed out, however, someone had started a "road" off in the desert that allowed us to access within 0.8 miles of the trailhead. Done right at dark

Cable: Factory Butte road was in surprisingly good condition. Cable was great! One true Keeper. Bought $8 suits at the DI and ran the canyon in style!

Pine Creek: ~2hrs car to hitchhiking. Splashfest! Ran the canyon in the suits and got some great reactions. My favorite line was "weve come for your women...show us to them!"

HEAPS!!!!! After much anticipation we finally got our weather window. Started at 3:45am. 3 hrs to the first rap. WINDY! COLD! canyon was totally full...which is probably good for our first time. FANTASTIC canyon! final rappel sequence was WILD! People say that Englestead is worse....i suppose this is correct if you are excluding the ENTIRE final rap sequence of 500 ft!!!!! Heaps is WAAAAY more intimidating. A HUGE group of tourists sat entirely silent as we rappelled. ovations at the bottom. 11hrs grotto to grotto
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Freaking awesome.

Nice! And yes I'd like the waypoint for the alternative not mindbender exit. I knew it existed and have looked for it but never found it.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Anyone who says that Englestead is worse probably hasn't done Heaps.
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

Very Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by xxnitsuaxx View Post
    Anyone who says that Englestead is worse probably hasn't done Heaps.
    ^^^THIS^^^

The entrance rappel in Englestead is a cake walk compared to the exit rappel in Heaps.

Heaps is totally free hanging, has a crappy staging area, is done at the end of a long day, and is just one rap in a string of three crappy raps.

Englestead is a walkdown rappel, has a nice staging area, and is done in the morning when everyone is fresh.

9. Likes WorkBad liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Awesome!

The roadwork you guys did is pretty sweet. Good thinkin.

Great way to end your canyons with a bang with Heaps.

Btw - this is hilarious:
    Thoughts: My Goal was to own Canditions recent posts...I had it for a while! :)
    Thanks for the contributions to it! No one ever says thanks for em however, they are genuinely appreciated!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Awesome!

The roadwork you guys did is pretty sweet. Good thinkin.

Great way to end your canyons with a bang with Heaps.

Btw - this is hilarious:

Thanks for the contributions to it! No one ever says thanks for em however, they are genuinely appreciated!

The roadwork that we bridged the 3ft washout was sketchy at best...we inched the Jeep out on to the bridge and it settled quite a bit the first go around. I dont have any footage because my friend was yelling "PUT THE CAMERA DOWN AND GUIDE ME!!!!" We reversed the car off of it and did some support work and successfully made it across. I definitely posted on canditions the disclaimer "use at own risk". We had a rental...our risk tolerance was HIGH.

As for Canditions....I'm so frustrated that more people dont post there. IT'S SO USEFUL!!!! I'm all about it.

12. Likes ratagonia, jman liked this post

Did i see black underwear with little sparkling dots?
    but the suits are definetly awesome.
    good job guys ,looks you had a blast in utah!!!