Thread: Imlay Sneak Sept. 22, 2013

Imlay Sneak Sept. 22, 2013

Ilze and I had imlay on our wishlist...now to find others to join. in the end Michael Cook and Shane Holst joined us. Started at 0430 at the grotto trailhead, waited for better light at the turnoff to left sneak. Left sneak was easy. Had a nice long break at the crossroads. Entered the technical section at 1030 am and were at the narrows rap by 1530. Imlay was top full...big bertha was elusive, lots of swimming, rapping, bellyflopping, climbing over logs to exit potholes and one swim through a log soup. The first section took 3 hours, the exit narrows 1.5 hrs. We lost a ropebag and rope there... it sank after being bagged... tried to dive down to find but water too murky. Imlay was "warm" relatively speaking. Michael only had two shorties plus my fleecepants and extra wool socks we insisted he wear and he was ok... just a little cool at the end. Ilze and I were sweltering in our neoprene...( 4/3 + 2mm shorty + hoodie ) ....no icebergs around ! Thank you Ilze, Shane and Michael for a most wonderful romp in Imlay !
    [/FONT][/COLOR]Name:  IMLAY Sept 2013 (14).jpg
Views: 429
Size:  127.6 KB arch rap
    Name:  IMLAY Sept 2013 (23).jpg
Views: 367
Size:  144.6 KB one of the keepers
    Name:  IMLAY Sept 2013 (45).jpg
Views: 466
Size:  142.7 KB ? is this big bertha ?

Pictures on my facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/anya.pa.12/...9715280&type=3

2. Likes Slot Machine, pikan, Kuya liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We are headed there Friday (weather permitting) so we'll have to keep an eye out for your rope! You say you lost it in the one and only log soup?

how were the anchors and the webbing?

Quote Originally Posted by lofty View Post
    Name:  IMLAY Sept 2013 (45).jpg
Views: 466
Size:  142.7 KB ? is this big bertha
    Nope, Big Bertha is further down and the exit of the pothole is on canyon left and is followed immediately by a rappel off bolts on canyon left, well at least its a rappel in low water!

Some of the webbing should be changed, ( but I am primarily a mountaineer and hitting rocks hurts) but with high water levels consequences are minimal

I was hiking down the Virgin River from Chamberlin Ranch on Sept 22 and had the pleasure of turning a corner at about 4PM to see this very strong looking group touch down from the last Rap in to the Virgin River. Sorry I did have the camera out. Nice to run into you folks. My partner and I did the sneak at the end of May. Our water conditions were low. How low? So low that I don't think there was any water at the bottom of the arch rap.

Here is my trip report for that trip: http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?68776-From-the-Subway-to-Imlay-Trip-Report-and-Reflections-of-a-Fledgling-Canyoneer

Good job!

Ken