Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Large group warning this weekend in the Swell

I'm part of the group this weekend. This is the group's 9th annual gathering, and we've got a proven track record of keeping our camps clean (including bringing our own groovers/poop buckets and packing all of our trash out), going to bed early, avoiding the need for S&R, having a rowdy good time on Sat night but being in bed by 10 or 11 (especially with cold weather like we're expecting this weekend), and keeping our groups in the canyons to reasonable sizes. Usually only about 2/3 of the people who say they're coming will actually show up. We did have 60 that initially signed up, but a number of people have posted that they can't make it after all, and I bet it'll probably actually be closer to 40 people in our group...the sign-up did start back in April so many people who signed up have since made other plans or have had scheduling conflicts come up which will prevent their intended attendance. In order to keep our affiliated group presence to under 12 people per canyon per day we will be spreading the group out in as many canyons in the area as possible, so expect to see small subsets of our group in any canyon in the area on any given day. Hopefully, though, you'll only see a group of 6-ish or a maximum of two groups of 6-ish and they'll be friendly and courteous, and let your smaller faster group (if you've caught up then that must be the case) pass with a smile!

As a group we are concerned about our size and impact on the area and on other users too. We love canyoneering and the canyon country resources, and will do what we can to minimize our impact. We will be at Hidden Splendor and will pick the best spot we can find for separating our group from others to provide privacy for our group and others. I hope this alleviates some of the concern. Have a great weekend!

-Malia

2. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by msmnificent View Post
    Hopefully, though, you'll only see a group of 6-ish or a maximum of two groups of 6-ish and they'll be friendly and courteous, and let your smaller faster group (if you've caught up then that must be the case) pass with a smile!

-Malia
    We hope you'll do the same if a smaller faster group of ours catches a group of yours...! ;-)

it is good to know that in case the other groups need S&R,they will know where to go to get the POWER to get them out safe and some really yummy food too!!

I'm part of the group this weekend. This is the group's 9th annual gathering, and we've got a proven track record of keeping our camps clean (including bringing our own groovers/poop buckets and packing all of our trash out), going to bed early, avoiding the need for S&R, having a rowdy good time on Sat night but being in bed by 10 or 11 (especially with cold weather like we're expecting this weekend), and keeping our groups in the canyons to reasonable sizes. Usually only about 2/3 of the people who say they're coming will actually show up. We did have 60 that initially signed up, but a number of people have posted that they can't make it after all, and I bet it'll probably actually be closer to 40 people in our group...the sign-up did start back in April so many people who signed up have since made other plans or have had scheduling conflicts come up which will prevent their intended attendance. In order to keep our affiliated group presence to under 12 people per canyon per day we will be spreading the group out in as many canyons in the area as possible, so expect to see small subsets of our group in any canyon in the area on any given day. Hopefully, though, you'll only see a group of 6-ish or a maximum of two groups of 6-ish and they'll be friendly and courteous, and let your smaller faster group (if you've caught up then that must be the case) pass with a smile!

As a group we are concerned about our size and impact on the area and on other users too. We love canyoneering and the canyon country resources, and will do what we can to minimize our impact. We will be at Hidden Splendor and will pick the best spot we can find for separating our group from others to provide privacy for our group and others. I hope this alleviates some of the concern. Have a great weekend!

-Malia

6. Likes Slot Machine liked this post

Anyone want to do one of the Hidden Splendor area canyons on Friday?

I am also going to be there friday-sunday but only have canyoneering partners for Sat-Sun.

I am interested in either Segers Hole, Segers Window, or Cable.

Bro, did you just ask if you could join a ladies only gathering?

BRO!

This is the group's 9th annual gathering, and we've got a proven track record of keeping our camps clean (including bringing our own groovers/poop buckets and packing all of our trash out), going to bed early, avoiding the need for S&R, having a rowdy good time on Sat night but being in bed by 10 or 11 (especially with cold weather like we're expecting this weekend), and keeping our groups in the canyons to reasonable sizes.

I hope this alleviates some of the concern.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

10. Likes deagol liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post

BRO!

It takes balls to ask to join a group you know nothing about... (pun intended)

12. Likes deagol, dude9478, EvergreenDean liked this post
    msmnificent do you know where your group will be camping? I have a small group and would like to camp down by the river. we will be leaving really early and doing The Squeeze Saturday.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post

BRO!

I also support this effort

Quote Originally Posted by UtahAdventureGuide View Post
    msmnificent do you know where your group will be camping? I have a small group and would like to camp down by the river. we will be leaving really early and doing The Squeeze Saturday.

Thanks
    Perhaps I can help. My wife is also in this group. I believe they plan to camp West of the airstrip in the big area but also discussed sites down by the river for overflow and/or folks who wants more space or privacy. With 20 or more vehicles going out, they will most likely dominate the entire area West of the airstrip. They are out there setting up today. Perhaps you could approach from Factory Butte? Or just take a site before the airstrip.
    "I approach nature with a certain surly ill-will, daring Her to make trouble"

-Edward Abbey

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EvergreenDean View Post
    Perhaps I can help. My wife is also in this group. I believe they plan to camp West of the airstrip in the big area but also discussed sites down by the river for overflow and/or folks who wants more space or privacy. With 20 or more vehicles going out, they will most likely dominate the entire area West of the airstrip. They are out there setting up today. Perhaps you could approach from Factory Butte? Or just take a site before the airstrip.
    There are three different camping areas at Hidden Splendor. Plenty of room for 100 or more.

Tom

I was also just informed that planes will be using the airstrip, so anything too close could be blown away.
    I never posted that I was going to be there (in fact, I stated that I wasn't going to be), just that I knew a few people who would be....

So anyway, anyone reading this knows now- watch out for planes (I guess most people would do this anyway)

double post.

Quote Originally Posted by EvergreenDean View Post
    Perhaps I can help... Perhaps you could approach from Factory Butte? Or just take a site before the airstrip.
    I won't be changing my plans.
    Name:  I-cant-believe-d8nv16.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  31.8 KB

It takes balls to ask to join a group you know nothing about... (pun intended)

This thread just keeps getting better....

Name:  Itchy-Scratchy.gif
Views: 249
Size:  18.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by deagol View Post
    I was also just informed that planes will be using the airstrip, so anything too close could be blown away. <snip>
    What? Planes using an airstrip? Horror of horrors, whatever next?

You or your tent would have to be darn close to be "blown away" by a Supercub. They are renowned for being barely able to kill you. We're not talking jets. I don't think a sand-blown airstrip in Utah is quite likely to have this effect:

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    What? Planes using an airstrip? Horror of horrors, whatever next?…]

Quote Originally Posted by deagol View Post
    …… - watch out for planes (I guess most people would do this anyway)
    This may have been too subtle on my part? I told the person who PM-ed this to me that I would pass it on, so I passed it on.

you guys are silly... I was just throwing a shout out for ANYONE who may have been looking for a partner for friday

25. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    I won't be changing my plans.
    You asked so I assumed you were concerned. No one is asking you to change your plans. There is plenty of room as Tom says.
    "I approach nature with a certain surly ill-will, daring Her to make trouble"

-Edward Abbey