Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Large group warning this weekend in the Swell

Large group warning this weekend in the Swell

I have information from reliable sources that there will be a large group, possibly 60+, camped at Hidden Splendor in the Swell this weekend, from Thursday until Monday. Those looking for solitude may want to select another location.
    "I approach nature with a certain surly ill-will, daring Her to make trouble"

-Edward Abbey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Crap, I'm headed down there this weekend. Any idea what canyons they will be doing and when?

I would chose another spot.......

6. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    I hope they have rented portapotties, etc.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahAdventureGuide View Post
    Crap, I'm headed down there this weekend. Any idea what canyons they will be doing and when?
    I may be wrong, but I beleive this may be in part the MeetUp Western Slope Adventurers group and some others from the SLC area? Check out the calendar on the Western Slope Adventurers site. They are planning on Cable for Saturday and others nearby Sunday - possibly including Knotted Rope, Seegers Hole or Quandary.

I may be wrong, but I beleive this may be in part the MeetUp Western Slope Adventurers group and some others from the SLC area?
    It isn't. The meetup group is different one.

I'm starting to get the feeling that it's going to be a zoo down there. I'm also going to be there as well, but not with the other two groups.

Hopefully the big groups take care of the place. SUWA usually has a gathering down there, but they also bring things like rented porta potties, etc.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

This is the kind of stuff that gets areas shut, fees imposed, etc... I know it's not to that point yet but this is where it all starts. For the record, I think groups of this size in the wilderness are in bad taste. I just hope that if they are going to do it at all, that they at least clean up after themselves and don't leave toilet paper and beer cans everywhere.

11. Likes mzamp liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

From what I know, the group has many quality folks and is well organized. I suspect they will treat the place well and stay out of trouble.
    "I approach nature with a certain surly ill-will, daring Her to make trouble"

-Edward Abbey

So who exactly is this mystical group of canyon gods??? Or do I have to wait until Sunday night's news to watch the search and rescue to find out?

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

15. Likes Udink liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvergreenDean View Post
    From what I know, the group has many quality folks and is well organized. I suspect they will treat the place well and stay out of trouble.
    This must not be the group I've run into at Powell, mostly led by one individual.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Iceax...the big group I know of won't have any mystical canyon gods

18. Likes msmnificent liked this post
    Any open spots for someone to join Thursday or Friday?

Quote Originally Posted by lofty View Post
    Iceax...the big group I know of won't have any mystical canyon gods
    Sorry... Godesses...

And I expect no SAR's coming from this talented group so the Sunday evening news will be a little slow.

21. Likes msmnificent liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    This is the kind of stuff that gets areas shut, fees imposed, etc... I know it's not to that point yet but this is where it all starts. For the record, I think groups of this size in the wilderness are in bad taste. I just hope that if they are going to do it at all, that they at least clean up after themselves and don't leave toilet paper and beer cans everywhere.

This post brings up a sort-of related/non related topic. The group going to Hidden Splendor is NOT even closely related to the group I am talking about, but for the past few years a group based out of Austin Texas called Camp Gladiator has been coming to Colorado and trashing the wilderness (literally). To say this another way, Camp Gladiator isn't coming to trash the canyon country (yet?) but if a group like CG gets into canyoneering, then we better watch out. The group going to Hidden Splendor is responsible and ethical and competent, from what I know. I am not part of the group but know people who are.

The CG group did do exactly what Bootboy referenced, and even worse.. They also violated group size limits and did not get a required permit for commercial trip on national forest land.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbaggers View Post
    I may be wrong, but I beleive this may be in part the MeetUp Western Slope Adventurers group and some others from the SLC area? Check out the calendar on the Western Slope Adventurers site. They are planning on Cable for Saturday and others nearby Sunday - possibly including Knotted Rope, Seegers Hole or Quandary.
    http://www.meetup.com/WesternSlopeAd...nts/127592562/

They want to do Cable first and the Squeeze the next day.

read the comments... This is what concerns me: "We are getting HUGE so we really do need some more people to step up as canyon leaders."

Clarification: the meetup group is IN ADDITION to the group Dean originally posted.

It looks like the WSA group is camping on the back side and not at Hidden Splendor. I'll be camping at Hidden Splendor Friday - Sunday and believe me if that group does trash the place I will be turning license plate number over to the sheriffs department.

25. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahAdventureGuide View Post
    I'll be camping at Hidden Splendor Friday - Sunday ...
    Chivalrous.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

the group Dean posted will still be at Hidden Splendor, though.