Thread: Canyoneer insoles

Canyoneer insoles

So this last week I was down in Zion and picked up a "new" pair of used Canyoneers for $10. For my last pair I bought some cheap insoles that fell apart after a few canyons and then I just used neo booties and they provided an alright amount of cushion. However, my feet have been feeling it more and I want to find a fairly cheap insole that will hold up through a decent number of canyons. What do you use, how much are they, how long do they last, and where did you get them? thanks
    - Gavin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Try Sole - they look like they would stand up to the abuse.

http://www.hikingshack.com/footwear
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

4. Likes ghawk liked this post
    Steph, Tyler and I use the Sofsole Athlete insoles in our 5.10's. They are awesome. Sooooooo much more supportive than the stock insoles. So good that we just throw our stock insoles in the trash when we replace our shoes.

My insoles have been through at least 40 canyons and they still work fine.

Get them at Famous Footwear for $20. If you go to the South Towne location and ask for Tyler he will hook you up.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

6. Likes ghawk, Taylor liked this post
    I like the Soles, and have used them in my 5-10s for years. A little pricey (45$) but I have used the same pair in 2 sets of shoes and they still don't break down. Be aware that there are at least 4 different models, for both comfort and foot strike protection I prefer the thickest one, (currently called the ed viesturs model), which has the benefit of being heat moldable for additional comfort and best fit. With this higher volume insole, I do add a half size to my shoe, wearing a 12.5 instead of the normal 12- and this allows me to still comfortably fit with a 3 mil neo sock.

8. Likes ghawk liked this post
    Thanks, I just ordered a pair of the soles. I got the athlete ones Slot Machine recommended for $15 bucks online. thanks
    - Gavin

10. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rick t View Post
    I like the Soles, and have used them in my 5-10s for years. A little pricey (45$) but I have used the same pair in 2 sets of shoes and they still don't break down. Be aware that there are at least 4 different models, for both comfort and foot strike protection I prefer the thickest one, (currently called the ed viesturs model), which has the benefit of being heat moldable for additional comfort and best fit. With this higher volume insole, I do add a half size to my shoe, wearing a 12.5 instead of the normal 12- and this allows me to still comfortably fit with a 3 mil neo sock.
    After this conversation, I decided to buy myself a pair of the Sole inserts - used them last weekend in a dry canyon and this weekend in a wet canyon and they were great! Pricey, but well worth the money for the comfort.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

I got the Athlete soles and really liked them this last week. Worked great. Thanks again for the feedback
    - Gavin

13. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    After this conversation, I decided to buy myself a pair of the Sole inserts - used them last weekend in a dry canyon and this weekend in a wet canyon and they were great! Pricey, but well worth the money for the comfort.
    Is there more than one model? Which model did you get?

Tom

Yes, there are three models: ultra thick, regular, and thin sport. They are moldable, but I did not bother with this feature.

I chose the thin sport because I wear socks and a 5ml booty - enough padding and room in the shoe. I was interested in something that would dry faster.

For my hiking boots, I chose the ultra for the extra padding. I wore them and was on my feet for a fourteen hour day and my feet were great.

I like that my toes don't sleep for days after a canyon trip anymore. :-)

Felicia

16. Likes ghawk, ratagonia liked this post
    I have had the same problem as most C-Class canyoneers - the 5.10 Canyoneer insoles are "lacking" and most all soles today have a fabric top which will quickly separate either from sand or water (or a combination thereof). I used to have a few pairs of all gel insoles for running marathons but unwisely threw them out a few years ago. If anyone knows of an "all gel" insole with no fabric top that would be ideal. I know eSole quite well but they have fabric tops on them so longevity would be an issue.

I cannot recommend Superfeet. They have a plastic heel part, which quickly separates from the rest in sandy/wet conditions. Although they do seem to continue to function as two pieces.

We put the Dr. Scholls sport model in my wife's and she loves them