Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer is officially gone.

Summer is officially gone.

From my ride this morning before work:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Actually, not till the 22nd ;)

I say it's over when the time changes, then the after work rides get real difficult.

5. Likes Byron liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I say it's over when the time changes, then the after work rides get real difficult.
    Au Contraire mon frere! Get yourself a couple of these puppies (one for your helmet, one for your handlebar) and light up the night. Or the 5:30 morning ride, as was the case for me this morning. They are super cheap and ridiculously bright. Seriously, night/morning (dark; to be more precise) rides extend the season by a long ways and they make old trails feel absolutely new again. It's very cool. If you go by yourself, you're braver than me. The woods are more alive when it's dark and come to find out, I'm still a little bit afraid of the dark.....

http://www.amazon.com/Lumen-Bicycle-...in+bike+lights

Name:  51KzasgZVaL._SX385_.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  26.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    Actually, not till the 22nd ;)
    Tell that to the tips of my index fingers (braking fingers). They are still a bit sensitive right now from how cold they got this morning. It's rather difficult to figure out how hard you are pulling on the brakes when your fingertips are completely numb.

Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    Au Contraire mon frere! Get yourself a couple of these puppies (one for your helmet, one for your handlebar) and light up the night. Or the 5:30 morning ride, as was the case for me this morning. They are super cheap and ridiculously bright. Seriously, night/morning (dark; to be more precise) rides extend the season by a long ways and they make old trails feel absolutely new again. It's very cool. If you go by yourself, you're braver than me. The woods are more alive when it's dark and come to find out, I'm still a little bit afraid of the dark.....

http://www.amazon.com/Lumen-Bicycle-...in+bike+lights

Name:  51KzasgZVaL._SX385_.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  26.7 KB
    Just how bright is this beast? been thinking of getting a couple of these and mounting them on my running hydration pack on the shoulders for light on the trails early in the AM...
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Quote Originally Posted by DOSS View Post
    Just how bright is this beast? been thinking of getting a couple of these and mounting them on my running hydration pack on the shoulders for light on the trails early in the AM...
    My buddy actually manufactures these things. It's his company and they are stupid bright. No shortage if lumens at all

Bite your tongue, I could only hope

• Overnight Partly cloudy, with a low around 70. East northeast wind around 8 mph.

• Friday Scattered showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 90. East wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

• Friday Night Scattered showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 8pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 70. East wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

• Saturday Isolated showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 90. Light and variable wind becoming east around 6 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

• Saturday Night Scattered showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 75. West wind around 6 mph becoming south southwest after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

• Sunday Showers and thunderstorms likely. Partly sunny, with a high near 89. South southwest wind 8 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Yes the woods are more alive at night. And night is when the mountain lions hunt. Lol. Just sayin..... it's something to think about on your next late night ride. :) And a biker moving fast down a trail will do a lot to trigger their chase instincts. I already about slammed into one on my bike at snow basin a couple years ago. Scared the crap out of me! Thank goodness it wasn't at night. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by DOSS View Post
    Don't believe the actual claimed lumen numbers that these are advertising as they are very exaggerated. That being said, they are incredibly bright. I ride with two of them and it it plenty to go fast at night. A bunch of guys I know only have one and they still do just fine. And at <$25 (shipped) they are definitely worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by ahansen60 View Post
    Yes the woods are more alive at night. And night is when the mountain lions hunt. Lol. Just sayin..... it's something to think about on your next late night ride. :) And a biker moving fast down a trail will do a lot to trigger their chase instincts. I already about slammed into one on my bike at snow basin a couple years ago. Scared the crap out of me! Thank goodness it wasn't at night. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    I'm just hoping my big bad lights will scare them away......I've had many more run-ins with these killer guys:

Name:  whip-poor-will_L9P1415.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  114.8 KB

THey hunker down right in the middle of the trail and won't take off until you have almost run over them. Their little eyes glow orange as you come around the corner and lock it up trying not to run into the wild animal on the trail. then you realize it's just a fuzzy bird the size of a softball. I had one take off right in front of me flying my same direction. It gained altitude just in time for me to run my face right into it's feathery posterior. It was surprisingly soft. I"m sure the bird didn't appreciate it though.

14. Likes JP liked this post
    A month ago I bought the light Neil posted above for my helmet and this one for the handlebar: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Name:  Cree.PNG
Views: 264
Size:  199.2 KB

It's advertised as 3500 lumens but, I'm sure that's way exaggerated. That being said it is INCREDIBLY bright. I like the 3500 light for the handlebar because it has more of a flood pattern while the 1200 lumen light is a spot. Between the two, they work very, very well. For the price, I really wasn't expecting much, but I was quite surprised at the decent construction. They feel hefty and so far have been very rugged.
    Are we there yet?

OK, I did a 5:30am morning ride up AF Canyon Saturday morning. This is the first time I've used the lights mentioned above on a singletrack trail (Ridge #157 network). I normally wouldn't ride solo in the dark but, I figured if I were to crash or something, someone would be along in an hour or so. Both lights worked brilliantly and the tandem spotlight for the helmet and floodlight for the handlebar really lit the forest up. I was surprised at how fast I could still go. My total ride moving time was only about 5 minutes slower than what I would normally do this 12 mile lariat loop in during daylight. Most of that 5 minutes was spent stopping to look behind for any large predators stalking me (my biggest night-time worry!). The trail was so lit up I was surprised at how fast I felt like I could go, even on the downhill. The spot light on the helmet is key for having the light shine where you look (around bends and corners, etc.). I purposely left the light on the medium brightness setting, just to test out the battery. It never started to dim during the 1hr 45 minute ride. Many of my buddies, who ride with lights a bunch, switch the brightness to the low setting during the longer sustained climbs. If I was doing a longer ride I would probably do the same thing. Overall, it was a cool experience and can't wait to do it again.
    Are we there yet?

17. Likes DOSS liked this post
    Night riding is awesome. I use one of these on my helmet
    http://www.fasttech.com/products/160...0-lumen-led-bi
    and a MagicShine knock-off from DealEXtreme on my bars. Plenty of light! I think that the lumens these companies show can safely be halved. I've got a niterider 300 that appears to be an accurate 300 lumens. The fandyfire on my helmet is often too bright at its high setting and I typically only run it on high during extremely high speed descents. It says it's 2000 but it's probably more like 1200 or so. The one on my bar is probably 900 lumens or so and with the two lights on there is no difference in speed or time then if it were daytime.

Whenever we're going uphill we just click off the helmet one and turn the bars one down to mid or low. And we typically do 2-3 hour rides at night. I find that night riding really makes the trails feel 'new' again and there is a definite eeriness to night riding. Those eyes really glow out there in the bushes.

One night was super scary since I came around the corner and there were 3-4 sets of red eyes looking at me at eye level. I immediately thought of every monster movie I'd ever seen and by the time I slowed down and realized it was just a group of donkeys my HR had spiked an additional 20 beats per minute.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

19. Likes DOSS liked this post
    Be wary of the yellow eyes, those will be the cats.

Does anyone know what speices of bird that is, the one neilether is talking about? I've encountered them when hiking after dark up above N. Ogden Divide.

Quote Originally Posted by Candace66 View Post
    Does anyone know what speices of bird that is, the one neilether is talking about? I've encountered them when hiking after dark up above N. Ogden Divide.
    It's called a Whip-poor-will. They are all over the trails in cache valley in the early mornings and at night.

You're biking season is ending and ours is just beginning. Went for a ride last night in glorious 70 degree weather! No more 100 degree days, cool pleasant nights, and wonderful early morning temperatures make this time of year primo!
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

24. Likes blueeyes, JP liked this post
    Sept 28, 2013

25 Degrees at Tony Grove Lake to kick off a ~40 mile ride.
    Name:  Cache Valley Sampler 4.0.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  140.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    It's called a Whip-poor-will. They are all over the trails in cache valley in the early mornings and at night.
    we get these up by snowbasin and they're mistaken for sage hens