Thread: Zero Gravity This Weekend

Zero Gravity This Weekend

I am planning a trip down to the Swell this weekend and we are considering going through Zero G. We will be going with a mix of beginners and intermediate canyoneers. Does any one know what condition it is in after all the rain recently? Any tips, cautioning, suggestions? How bad would the water be without wetsuits?

Thanks guys!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I believe the road just a half a mile or less from the highway is still washed out. You may need to hike a bit more to get to the trailhead.

Love the canyon. Full of water is a blast.

The water is no doubt getting colder. This time of year you're going to want a wetsuit just about anywhere with any significant water. The night time temps in the Swell are getting down into the low 50's. Water everywhere is getting colder by the day.

Zero G is a short canyon, but you can get pretty cold in there without wetsuits. I wouldn't recommend it. It will be full of cold (usually clear) water, but you're going to be a lot happier with some neoprene. That's gonna go for just about everything down in that area after all the mayhem last week.

How much of the water in Zero G is avoidable? Does anyone have recommendations for another canyon that may have less water? Baptist Draw?

None. Zero G is all about the water. It's a canyon that you do when everything else is dry and you need to cool off.

8. Likes canyoncaver, Kuya liked this post
    Fortune cookie say:

When conditions are wet, seek wet canyon. When conditons are dry, seek dry canyon.

*bwoonnnng*
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

10. Likes canyoncaver, ratagonia, TommyBoy, Kuya liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dev View Post
    How much of the water in Zero G is avoidable? Does anyone have recommendations for another canyon that may have less water? Baptist Draw?
    Baptist Draw is kinda famous for people getting freaked out by the water. After Baptist Draw, after the rappels, IN Chute Canyon you can go up-canyon - BIG POOL - or go downcanyon - BIG POOL.

People have broken legs trying to avoid the water. Almost died. (see the Death thread).

You wanna stay dry - go for a hike.

Tom

Skipping the water in Zero G is like skipping the ice cream and eating a dry ice cream cone. The good stuff of Zero G IS the water.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Skipping the water in Zero G is like skipping the ice cream and eating a dry ice cream cone. The good stuff of Zero G IS the water.
    I can attest to that. I did Zero G in very dry conditions and it kinda sucked .......

Thanks for the info. It's not that we want to avoid the water, it's that not all of our group has access to a wetsuit and I'm a little worried about freezing. I guess we will have to explore our options carefully.
    Thanks again

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Thanks for the info. It's not that we want to avoid the water, it's that not all of our group has access to a wetsuit and I'm a little worried about freezing. I guess we will have to explore our options carefully.
    Thanks again
    Thank you.

In high summer it might be OK without wetsuits when full, but right now even on a hot day it would be a mistake. Thanks for being a responsible canyon leader.

Even Little Wild Horse probably has waist deep water.

Your group might enjoy the Ding-Dang loop. You'd probably have some waist deep or deeper pools, but just for an instant. Might want to bring a rope to help people down some of the drops. Really ought to have people wearing helmets in that one.

Tom

Do you think Baptist Draw the short rout would be bad? I've done Baptist Draw down Chute Canyon and considering the long hike out, that would be more swimming than I would like. With the shorter hike up Chute and maybe less water would that be doable? Or would it be ? A combo of Baptist Draw short rout and South Baptist Draw sound like a good full day. This seems to be such a great time of year to be in the Swell! It is hard to avoid the extreme heat that you get during the summer and still get through the cold water. It looks like an investment in a good wetsuit is in the near future.

For the short term, you could look into renting a wetsuit.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source=...+utah&safe=off

Do you think Baptist Draw the short rout would be bad? I've done Baptist Draw down Chute Canyon and considering the long hike out, that would be more swimming than I would like. With the shorter hike up Chute and maybe less water would that be doable? Or would it be ? A combo of Baptist Draw short rout and South Baptist Draw sound like a good full day. This seems to be such a great time of year to be in the Swell! It is hard to avoid the extreme heat that you get during the summer and still get through the cold water. It looks like an investment in a good wetsuit is in the near future.
    right now after the monsoon is water everywhere
    scuba shop in SLC rent wetsuits ,just do not return them all shredded or they will not be happy
    keep in mind most females required thick wetsuits than males.
    5mm will be better option, i like the 2 pieces

Thanks again
    Zero G has many easy options to escape to the rim. It also has many sunny places where you can warm up. So getting stuck in hypothermic conditions should never be an issue with this canyon. Just take your time and use some commonsense. But with that said wetsuits are really the only way to go in Zero G.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

20. Likes ratagonia liked this post