Thread: Insomnia - AZ Canyon

Insomnia - AZ Canyon

This is my first post and I plan to do a real trip report soon enough, but I want to get this out quickly and mention that if anyone does Insomnia after my post would seriously consider replacing the rope that leads to the 320ft rap, the rope has a bad spot and if the rope breaks in that chute, i don't see anyone surviving that fall. We noticed it too late when we (I) was the last person came down. Pass the word.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Who uses preset ropes? You Arizona boys leave ropes in canyons?
    Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm

I think it's a small rope fixed there because if someone doesn't know any better they will head down the sloped chute not knowing it ends with a 320ft drop. I don't believe you can see the drop until you get down in the chute. Anyone who tries to downclimb this spot and loses their footing could slide down the chute and off the edge..

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.....

I wonder how Joe and Todd ever completed this canyon without having that rope there?

Canyonater, Yes, it is a 9 mil fixed rope (kind of like using existing webbing) that is about 15 feet long to assist through the chute to the big rappel, absolutely necessary in that narrow and steep slot.

Eric, still a good point though, it looked good from the top when inspected, but this will make me reconsider using anything I cannot fully examine in the future.

7. Likes Eric Holden liked this post
    Those dead bears all washed out of the pothole at the end?

Quote Originally Posted by mzamp View Post
    I wonder how Joe and Tom ever completed this canyon without having that rope there?
    Ummmm....they probably rappeled?? Or perhaps they downclimbed it then realized when they hit the drop off that if they had known of the risk of slipping they would have rappelled. To prevent others from finding out the hard way they fixed a line.....dont know anyone who would do a first descent and not use a line on a downclimb that you cant see the bottom, especially if there is no anchor spots along the downclimb....

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonater View Post
    Ummmm....they probably rappeled?? Or perhaps they downclimbed it then realized when they hit the drop off that if they had known of the risk of slipping they would have rappelled. To prevent others from finding out the hard way they fixed a line.....dont know anyone who would do a first descent and not use a line on a downclimb that you cant see the bottom, especially if there is no anchor spots along the downclimb....
    That would be Joe, Sara and Todd...

Still seems odd to leave a fixed rope there or anywhere.

In general, if you come across ropes in the wilderness, you should remove them. Actually using them is fraught with peril. You COULD pull it up and have a good look at it, but you still would not know if it reaches the ground.

You brought ropes, right? Use your own ropes.

Tom

11. Likes Eric Holden liked this post
    The rope that was there was fixed at the top and the bottom so it could not be pulled up, I am going to leave a request that the next people who run the canyon, cut it off, don't leave anything behind. Its better that way. I will leave a post on the canyon collective who just posted the beta a few weeks ago.

Ain't nothin' wrong with using your own rope for a line to get to that last rap. After everyone has rapped, have the last man pull it. Just like a... um...gosh what do they call that?.... Oh yeah, a rappel!

Viola! No fixed rope!

14. Likes ratagonia, mzamp, MrAdam liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    Ain't nothin' wrong with using your own rope for a line to get to that last rap. After everyone has rapped, have the last man pull it. Just like a... um...gosh what do they call that?.... Oh yeah, a rappel!

Viola! No fixed rope!
    I heard its really slippery in that chute and you run the risk of sliding down right off the drop if you slip. Someone can start downclimbing in there WITHOUT knowing there is a slippery slide that ends in a drop. I think that's why the line was fixed so someone doesn't unwittingly try to down climb without knowing there is no bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonater View Post
    I heard its really slippery in that chute and you run the risk of sliding down right off the drop if you slip. Someone can start downclimbing in there WITHOUT knowing there is a slippery slide that ends in a drop. I think that's why the line was fixed so someone doesn't unwittingly try to down climb without knowing there is no bottom.
    This isn't the first canyon with such a hazard as this, I'm sure. Maybe we just just fix lines in every remotely dangerous canyon. This is a step towards putting pads and railings on everything.

Now that the beta for this canyon has be published, that seems like a great place to inform people of this obstacle. If there are bolts at the top of this little chute, I think anyone who has any business in such a canyon could put 2 and 2 together and navigate it safely.

I'm with Tom. In most instances, fixed ropes are just clutter in technical canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    This isn't the first canyon with such a hazard as this, I'm sure. Maybe we just just fix lines in every remotely dangerous canyon. This is a step towards putting pads and railings on everything.

Now that the beta for this canyon has be published, that seems like a great place to inform people of this obstacle. If there are bolts at the top of this little chute, I think anyone who has any business in such a canyon could put 2 and 2 together and navigate it safely.

I'm with Tom. In most instances, fixed ropes are just clutter in technical canyon.
    agree....just saying what perhaps was the reasoning behind fixing a line there.....