Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Death Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    "Over The Edge, Death In Grand Canyon".
    I read that book when it was first released. It's not a bad book, but it wasn't as enticing as I had hoped.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Curious, why are you not at liberty to discuss accidents and rescues? HIPAA? Potential lawsuits?
    Government agencies are finicky about releasing only the information they want and with the spin they desire.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

4. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    "Over The Edge, Death In Grand Canyon".

I read that book when it was first released. It's not a bad book, but it wasn't as enticing as I had hoped.
    Yes, it is a good book. It is meant to be more of a history book or documentary than it is a thriller.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

So I haven't followed this thread completely or read every post.... but if this is back to the DEATH Thread where do we put the accidents where someone should have died and has no right to still be walking the face of the earth?

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?35747

A very good story and video to learn from. I'll add it to the first post in a bit, thanks.

_____

Where is the video of that fella that fell down a 90 foot waterfall? Nearly a freefall, he could have died too.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    So I haven't followed this thread completely or read every post.... but if this is back to the DEATH Thread where do we put the accidents where someone should have died and has no right to still be walking the face of the earth?

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?35747

Friend Shane -

I grant you permission to start the CHEATING DEATH thread at any time.

Tom

Where is the video of that fella that fell down a 90 foot waterfall? Nearly a freefall, he could have died too.
    Are you talkin about the video that was on here a while ago where the guy put out his brake hand to stop a slip and lost control of the rappel? That was scary, you could see his helmet smack the rock hard on his way down. I'd like to see that video again also.

EDIT: Here it is... http://youtu.be/3T4FT2SHFLo

Wow... I've never seen that before.

Don't let go with your brake hand....

Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    Are you talkin about the video that was on here a while ago where the guy put out his brake hand to stop a slip and lost control of the rappel? That was scary, you could see his helmet smack the rock hard on his way down. I'd like to see that video again also.

EDIT: Here it is... http://youtu.be/3T4FT2SHFLo
    Yes! That is the one. Thanks Sam.

There is a Bogley thread that discusses this video. A really good one. I can't find it...
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

Yes! That is the one. Thanks Sam.

There is a Bogley thread that discusses this video. A really good one. I can't find it...
    Is this the one you're looking for?

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...Canyon-60-fall

13. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    Is this the one you're looking for?

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...Canyon-60-fall
    Yessir! That's the one.

Thanks Dave!

15. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    I read Dave Nally's new book this week, Flash Floods & Falls: Deaths and Rescues in Zion National Park, and found it to be very educational and quite entertaining. The book contains a great mixture of accident reports, personal experiences and historical tidbits that will be sure to keep your attention (assuming you are a fan of Zion National Park). Bo Beck's contributions are also astonishing -my description of his prowess as an outdoorsman will be nothing but lacking, so I won't even attempt...

So, check out Dave's book, it's a very good read.

Name:  61nvs0XxyyL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  38.9 KB

Imagine the most exciting 100 trip reports you have ever read... the book I just finished is better than that.

Over the Edge: Death in Grand Canyon is a brilliant collection of tragic tales. It is pure quality from cover-to-cover; filled with true stories of murder, suicidal boat rides, plane crashes and even high speed car chases. The book starts out strong and gains momentum (unbelievably) for 367 pages. The final few tales will leave your jaw on the floor.

Not only will this book make your heart race and your palms sweat, it also offers plenty of practical advice on how to avoid catastrophe in the rugged environment of Grand Canyon. I strongly suggest checking it out.

Name:  Death-in-Grand-Canyon-300x300.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  22.5 KB

18. Likes Taylor liked this post
    Imagine the most exciting 100 trip reports you have ever read... the book I just finished is better than that.
    I read the book when it first came out.... it's alright... but I'd rank some of the TR's on Bogley above it. Like the recent Chambers rescue was of more interest to me.

Bob...read "Endurance" by Alfred Lansing.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

21. Likes Slot Machine, Iceaxe liked this post
    As long as we are on the subject of books about "death in national parks", another would be Laurence Parent, Death in Big Bend. I haven't read it . . . yet, but it seems to have garnered mostly positive reviews on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/0974504874/...l_2klhxo2ww4_e

The cover---with the skull--is nice and morbid . . .

23. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    By far the best survival story I have ever read. Perhaps the best book I have ever read. Shackleton was a stud.

Name:  ship_dogs.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  187.9 KB

25. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Blog Entries

The Death Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    By far the best survival story I have ever read. Perhaps the best book I have ever read. Shackleton was a stud.

Name:  ship_dogs.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  187.9 KB
    That entire story is insane! Now THAT is a survival story. Great book indeed
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

27. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    The book is great- the original documentary is great - and PBS just did a 3 part documentary of 5 guys trying to recreate Shack's voyage and hike across S Georgia. Also very good.
    WTVP - Headlines - Chasing Shackleton on WTVP

29. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    I've read South, a first-hand account of the expedition, written by Shackelton himself. He was a great adventurer and a brilliant storyteller. South is amongst the best books I've ever read.

If Endurance adds to the tale, I'll have to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by townsend View Post
    As long as we are on the subject of books about "death in national parks", another would be Laurence Parent, Death in Big Bend. I haven't read it . . . yet, but it seems to have garnered mostly positive reviews on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/0974504874/...l_2klhxo2ww4_e
    Why the eye roll? There is much to be learned from the misfortunes of others.

Big Bend looks like a good book, I'll give it a read too.